In EMS, can obese ever be professional?

BEorP

News Flash: Anne Frank has just received (posthumously) the DwayneEMTB Prize for Bullish Optimism in recognition of his post to Connie. Dwayne will receive a drinking horn inscribed thusly:

"Real science recognizes that you have an advantage over practically any other human enterprise because what you are after—call it truth or understanding—waits patiently for you while you screw up. … Nature speaks in many tongues and they are all alien. What a scientist is trying to do is decipher one of those dialects. [if scientists make progress, they do so] because nature doesn’t change and we just keep trying. It’s not because we are particularly smart but because we are stubborn.

~ Nobel Prize-winning Harvard Chemist Dudley Herschbach, quoted in What the Best College Teachers Do by Ken Bain

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the responses of this post and the original post. It's way to easy to misconstrued this post and its responses into saying "fat people are disgusting and you don't belong in this field or society." I've had to read and reread this post over and over again in order to make sure I'm fully understanding what is being asked here.

Its human nature to form a judgment on someone with first impression. Everyone has done it and it will continue to happen. It's not fair to do nor is it acceptable. But this "I'm fat so what" attitude is not a good one to take. By saying that, you are accepting that your fat as in your going to be like this for life so why do something about it. Not to mention your basically telling everyone else that sees you with this attitude that you done care which gives an open invitation to judge you. Thats not a good attitude. Dwayne said it best though.

By medical definition, I am overweight. Yes there are times that I used get upset about it, but the last time I got upset with it, I forked over the cash and got a membership to Golds Gym. I have a personal trainer there and a whole lot of motivation to shed the pounds. I must say I'm pleased with the results thus far! Some folks cant afford the membership to a gym nor have the time for it. But there are still things you can do if you are concerned about the publics physical image of you as a provider.

I am also aware of the fact the some folks are just overweight due to genetics, hormone problems etc. I happen to be one of those people. I refuse to sit here and be upset because people are judging me because I'm fat and then just blame it on xyz medical condition and be content with it. Its perfectly fine to be comfortable with your own body but there is a fine line between you being comfortable with your body and yet being able to perform this job safely.

The last time I was judged for being overweight was when I was in high school, big whoop, it was high school. This is adulthood and the real world. People will judge regardless of what I look like. I can accept that. But I do know for a fact that I don't have to accept being an overweight individual any longer. I don't huff and puff going up stairs, my bp runs low usually, and I've never had a heart attack. But that doesn't mean that my life will continue to be that peachy if I had continued to neglect my weight problem. DD made that loud and clear when he explained what happened to his friend. He made some very valid points in that post, some of which are some real eye openers.

So the original question of "Can you look professional and be fat?" Of course you can! Its up to you to prove that though. It comes with self respect, competency, respect to others and appearance. I know lots of MORBIDLY obese folks in this profession that are OUTSTANDING providers!

People will continue to judge though. Is it fair? Hell no its not but it's life. Which sparks another question, can you still be a functional provider at 5 foot 6in and 92 pounds? (and yes I do know a paramedic that is that height and weight) That can be just as unhealthy as a 350 pound medic. There are many more things that can cause one to appear unprofessional but I don't think weight is one of them.

** I know I somewhat rambled in this post but I want to make it perfectly clear that this post is not intended as an attack nor is its contents directed at any one person. Its merely my opinion based off my own personal experience of being an overweight individual. I hope it generates some insight among folks and sparks more well thought out posts from members!**

I think there's a couple of issues here. The first issue is one of a person being overweight, or not in sufficient shape to perform the tasks of EMS and the second is not conforming to what people expect of you.

Particularly for women, there is a big difference between being "large" and being "obese". Being a large person means that you might be taller, have broader shoulders and a more masculine type frame. Since this does not coincide with certain people's expectation of feminine forms, so they are labled "fat". This is not obesity, it might border on being overweight, but it is not obesity, and so long as you present a professional appearance and can perform tasks adequately, of course there is no problem with it. In fact, I'd far rather have a female partner with a build like this, rather than the shiny little petite ones who claim to have mystical powers that allows them to "hold their own" in situations that would have a state trooper sweating and panting.

On the other hand is straight out obesity, and lemme tell ya, America is having a real problem with it and I am really getting sick of excuses. I see what people eat, I see their lifestyle habits, I see what they feed their kids and it is really doing them damage. The problem is given the current state of EMS, a person of lax physical standards is often paired with someone of better physical standards, causing the person of better physical fitness to risk injury and overexertion due to their partner's state of fitness, and whether its being the aforementioned petite who is trying to prove something or someone who is positively obese who is already sweating before they make patient contact, its not right and I believe it is one of the many things that make EMS worse, because it provides negative reinforcement for those who keep physically fit. Why should I keep myself in shape if its just gonna get me more work for the same pay as someone who does not?

News Flash: Anne Frank has just received (posthumously) the DwayneEMTB Prize for Bullish Optimism in recognition of his post to Connie. Dwayne will receive a drinking horn inscribed thusly:

"Real science recognizes that you have an advantage over practically any other human enterprise because what you are after—call it truth or understanding—waits patiently for you while you screw up. … Nature speaks in many tongues and they are all alien. What a scientist is trying to do is decipher one of those dialects. [if scientists make progress, they do so] because nature doesn’t change and we just keep trying. It’s not because we are particularly smart but because we are stubborn.

~ Nobel Prize-winning Harvard Chemist Dudley Herschbach, quoted in What the Best College Teachers Do by Ken Bain

See, now those parts are particularly relevant... :)

Thanks Michael...You're good for my soul... (HA! A whole new conversation!")

Dwayne

I trust everyone here has seen, or worked with, obese and "underweight" partners, and experienced both good and bad EMS skills in both those weight classes.

I'm no lightweight, unfortunately I am obese at over 300 lbs at 66.5 inches, but there was an NYC councilman of my acquaintance, stood close to 6 foot tall, and probably the upper side of 500 lbs. I eat heavily, but he could have given me lessons in overeating.

He always acted professionally, and dressed immaculately. He told anyone who would listen, "if you can't hide it, cover it well". The big guy sure did!

Then, again, I have had even more obese personnel than myself on calls with me, and these people can really be graceful in motion, and have textbook knowledge of anything you might need, or need to do in the field. As long as they dress well, and do what they are trained to do...their weight issue, if it is an issue for them, is THEIR issue.

Then, there is so called "common perception". I already said I am overweight, I showered before reporting to work, arrived in a clean uniform, but one partner always complained to me, our other partner, and even the lieutenant, that I had body odor. I must presume her attitude was "Richard is fat, it is summertime and hot outside, therefore, it stands that Richard smells from body odor, even if he just came out of the shower, and came to work in his air conditioned van."

She's left the department, and now supposedly went to work somewhere in Florida. Skills-wise, she was good, but her attitude, especially towards me, sucked eggs big time.

See, now those parts are particularly relevant... :)

Maybe as in "the giraffe attracted the most visitors at the zoo not because it was particularly tall (which it was), but because it was able to speak"; "Jack Kennedy won the election not because he was particularly rich (which he was), but because he was handsome"; "cats are popular household pets not because they are particularly carnivorous (which they are), but because they are cuddly"; "Santa Claus is beloved by children not because he is particularly obese (which he is), but because he is generous"; "sand is best kept out of the sugarbowl not because it is particular (which it is) but because it is indigestible"? And. So. On. You see, you can eat your cake and wear it too. Or something.

I don't know if this has been aspect of this topic has been discussed yet, but I pose this question to you:

What about the EMS provider that is so obese that the can't even make it from the truck to the front door without stopping 10! (yes 10!!) different times to huff & puff just to catch their breath. Mind you.....there are no stairs, no inclines, or other obstacles to overcome. How can you expect someone to treat you, who can't even make it into your house?

I don't know if this has been aspect of this topic has been discussed yet, but I pose this question to you:

What about the EMS provider that is so obese that the can't even make it from the truck to the front door without stopping 10! (yes 10!!) different times to huff & puff just to catch their breath. Mind you.....there are no stairs, no inclines, or other obstacles to overcome. How can you expect someone to treat you, who can't even make it into your house?

This type of provider is a hazard to themself, their partner, and their patient. In that order. They should be pulled off car until they can meet a reasonable fitness standard. I know my opinion sounds harsh but I don't think someone elses lack of fitness should be allowed to potentially end my career due to injury. Besides what good is an ambulance crew if the first thing the fitter partner has to do is work a code on there obese partner.

I firmly believe that ambulance personnel should have to meet a minimum fitness standard. If you meet the standard I don't care how overweight you appear you can be my partner any day. If you don't meet the standard you should be pulled off car until you do.

IMO as long as your getting the help you need by someone trained to do it and trained to save lives it shouldn't matter, as long as they are doing what they are trained to do and doing it good, Hell thats as good if your getting it from someone who weighs 300 pounds or 100. thats just my .02 cents tho =]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.