In EMS, can obese ever be professional?

BEorP

I am clinically obese too. If it comes down to a matter of professional apperance, I am very professional in class. My pants are clean, pressed, and fit me nicely. My boots are always clean. My shirt it bright white, and tucked. My hair is pulled back out of my face, and neat. I do not have any health related issues, (knock on wood) as of now.

I dont think, or atleast hope that being overweight will not interfere with my job as an EMT. I am sure, that in all honesty, it probably will/does. I am losing weight, but not at all trying to be "skinny". I am trying to think about my Pts now, even before I have any. They are going to count on me to be as healthy as I can be. I have been eating better / less, (95% of the time anyways) and really trying to become more active.

I dont smoke, and I dont drink. But I dont want anyone to judge me by my size in the EMS field. Now, I know that is just going to happen. So far, my teachers and class mates, and other EMTs that come to help us at Lab time have been very kind to me. But, I will be honest, its on my mind ALL the time. What are they thinking? OMG do they think IM too fat for this? Are they laughing at me? And I HATE IT. I dont want that out in the field.

So, I am losing my weight for me, and for my future pts. And to be the best damn medic I can be once I finish Paramedic training. And I think that in my case, losing weight (ANY) will only help me achieve being what I want.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.