Patient introductions/icebreakers

renegade334

In class running the assessments, I cant ever seem to find a comfortable approach either. They want us to say, "Hi, my name is xxxx, I am an EMT, can you tell me what brought us out here today?"

It's amusing that your instructors actually believe that the general public has the slightest clue what "EMT" means. Do any of them have any field experience?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amusing that your instructors actually believe that the general public has the slightest clue what "EMT" means. Do any of them have any field experience?

Yes, 1 teacher has been a Paramedic with a San Francisco Fire department for 4 years now. With a total of 10 years in the EMS field. The other has been in EMS for longer (not sure the exact length) and is a field supervisor for my county and has been for the last 3 years.

The fact that somebody could work the field for that long and never have the slightest clue that none of their patients knew what EMT meant is a pretty poor sign. I'd prefer my instructors were a little quicker on the uptake.

The problem with the question of "can you tell me what brought us out here today?"is that it might be answered with "I hope your ambulance!" or guessing Ford, Chevy or another make of ambulance chassis/power plant.

The problem with the question of "can you tell me what brought us out here today?"is that it might be answered with "I hope your ambulance!" or guessing Ford, Chevy or another make of ambulance chassis/power plant.

ahhhh got it.. thank you!

Richard,

Is it considered a blessing, or a curse, that more people don't have your sense of humor? :D

I don't really know. I just am "punny" some times.

Actually, I was so bright as a small boy, folks used to call me "sunny".

Remember, a pun is the lowest form of humor (that you usually wish you had thought of first).

• 3 weeks later...

Usually I just start off with "Why did you call 911 today?" (though in IFT I was MUCH more humor-oriented at contact). Once I've done 75% of my assessment, history questions and figured out that this person is stable, depending on what I can get of their personality through their answers I'll make some jokes. Always small things, like when they ask what they're signing (HIPAA stuff): "Sign here, sir/ma'am. This is just saying we're not going to run down the street screaming your social security number, though I used to have a LOT of fun with that at parties before they made it illegal." When loading, particularly on a stretcher: "Thank you for flying [company] EMS, please keep your arms and legs inside the stretcher [or Ambulance] until arriving at our destination, which will be [hospital]. Our anticipated altitude will be 0 feet; any variation on this will result in me getting fired. Please observe the no smoking sign and try to enjoy your flight." Works even better when I'm driving (which is rare), since I'll say it right before I jump out the back doors and close them.

Especially with younger patients close to my age range (between 15 and 30) I've discovered that as long as you don't say anything offensive or making fun of the patient themselves, laughter really can be the best medicine--minor injuries, SOME EDP's (i.e. the 20 year old girl getting kicked out of the shelter for backtalking to the staff who really isn't very EDP at all) will get the full force of my terrible sense of humor. Sometimes this is a great way to distract people from their pain, as well; joking or just talking about them, their job, my job, whatever..... Though this doesn't work for peds with me, I can't talk to them for the life of me.... I couldn't talk to kids when I WAS a kid. I have a better knack for humor than for simplifying things, I suppose. But it's all on a case-by-case basis; I don't joke with anyone even remotely dangerous or who seems like they have no sense of humor. PHILISTINES! :cry:

~Miz Black Crow

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.