Piss Poor Pre-hospital care in the juvenile justice system!

Do you think the medical staff gave substandard care or not?  

18 members have voted

1. 1.

• no
    • yes

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop and look at it from a logical standpoint- she was known to lie and was an uncooperative patient, with a condition that is largely diagnosed based on presentation.

Inmates are notorious for faking illness in order to get their way, so Chipmunk does that mean that everyone of them should get a V/Q scan to rule out PE? Who's going to pay for that in the patients with a low risk presentation, such as this one? Can we bill you for the $6000-7000 for each of those procedures?

First of all, this child was in a juvenile lock up system, which is not like a major Maximum Security Prison. She screwed up, as obliviously many people do, or we would not have a justice system like we have in the United States today. But none of this is important. What is important is this:

The kid had a medical complaint and it WAS NOT examined as it should have been.

Now, since you want to be an ASS about the money thing, lets get it on bud. Are you saying that because someone doesn't have money or because they are a criminal in a penal institution, or maybe because they live on the street that they don't deserve medical care??? Just what kind of Medically trained person are you???

ANYONE who says that medical care should be denied because of the money thing needs their licensure REVOKED, if you have one. I HAVE NEVER REFUSED SOMEONE MEDICAL CARE because they had NO MONEY. Who cares, if they are hurting, they are going to get care. Sure, your paycheck may evolve around collecting money for caring for patients, but I think I might be able to take a cut in pay if I had to make sure that people who didn't have money could at least get medical care. Hell, if I were a Doctor, I think I would not charge a penny if a person didn't have the money.

God, what a bunch of morons.

First of all, this child was in a juvenile lock up system, which is not like a major Maximum Security Prison. She screwed up, as obliviously many people do, or we would not have a justice system like we have in the United States today. But none of this is important. What is important is this:

The kid had a medical complaint and it WAS NOT examined as it should have been.

Now, since you want to be an ASS about the money thing, lets get it on bud. Are you saying that because someone doesn't have money or because they are a criminal in a penal institution, or maybe because they live on the street that they don't deserve medical care??? Just what kind of Medically trained person are you???

ANYONE who says that medical care should be denied because of the money thing needs their licensure REVOKED, if you have one. I HAVE NEVER REFUSED SOMEONE MEDICAL CARE because they had NO MONEY. Who cares, if they are hurting, they are going to get care. Sure, your paycheck may evolve around collecting money for caring for patients, but I think I might be able to take a cut in pay if I had to make sure that people who didn't have money could at least get medical care. Hell, if I were a Doctor, I think I would not charge a penny if a person didn't have the money.

God, what a bunch of morons.

How about if I post the risk assessment for PE? The scale we use (which is a standard scale by the way) would classify this girl as a relatively low risk of PE.

And yes, I believe she was in there because she was a drug abusing criminal- you don't wind up in a child prison for being an honor roll student who feeds the homeless in his spare time- and somehow I believe that if you screw up and make a habit of lying repeatedly then yes, we should be hesitant to believe you. Maybe it comes back to something my parents instilled in me, that a lot of people didn't learn- it's called "personal accountability". She deserved what she got...it's a shame she didn't learn to tell the truth sooner then she might have been a believable person and still alive (but then again that would mean that there would be one more crack addict sponging off of society.....hmmm, maybe it wasn't such a shame after all B) )

What kind of a medically trained person am I? One with a whole lot more education and experience than you, I'm a damn good practitioner and a markedly empathetic one at that. Have a nice day. :wink:

Until such time as someone can provide actually copies of the records in regards to the patient, and not just the carefully spin-doctored version we're getting from a bleeding heart media source, no further discussion of this is necessary as it is a moot point- the patient is dead, a patient with little if any societal worth and nothing we can say here will change either of those facts. Time to move on. B)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.