I can't move my arm!

JPINFV

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the blood pressure the same in both arms? Also I'd like to check the redness in the axillary region, any swelling or pain to touch?

Blood pressure is equal in both arms. Negative swelling or tenderness.

[hr:d036958162]

What day of the week is it?

Sunday :!: :wink:

Was the patient sleeping on the chair, in a manner that would suppress blood flow to the paralysis area for an extended period of time?

The patient doesn't remember how he fell asleep.

Was he supposed to take his finals today?!!!

His last final of the term was on Friday.

Since it looks like most people that have been participating have it down, the answer is Saturday Night Palsy. This condition is one of the clinical correlates in my anatomy class.

Saturday Night Palsy [aka Honeymooner's Palsy or official as Radial Nerve Palsy] occurs when pressure is applied over several hours to the radial nerve causing necrosis. An example of such an event could happen if you pass out with your arm hung over a chair. This is because the radial nerve spirals around the medial part of the humerus after giving off its branches for the upper arm.

RadialNerve.gif

Therefore, damage to the nerve, which can be permanent, will affect the muscles of the top/dorsal part of the hand that engage in extending the fingers and the wrist. One of the tell-tale signs of radial nerve damage is called "wrist drop" (hold your arm out straight with your palm down and relax your wrist). Other muscles in the hand can weakly extend the fingers, though, and are innervated by a different nerve.

http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic587.htm

I sort of suspected something like that because I have a minor condition of that with my left elbow.