Ice application on fractures

mobey

I have researched a bit, but have not found much info on this.

Is there any reason outside of pain control and swelling reduction that we use ice packs on fractures?

Someone mentioned that it can reduce permanent muscle damage by slowing a chemical reaction within the site. No specifics though, so I don't know whether to believe it or not.

Mobey,

All I can find is a site that confirms your thoughts. The thought that by slowing down the chemical reaction perhaps reducing the possibility of permanent muscle damage seems logical though.

http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.p...roducts_id/2619

There is one precaution that I was told by an Ortho. is that with the ice pack/ cold compression be alert for muscle spasms. If too cold or left on for too long it could cause contractions followed by spasms.

Just a little FYI.

I have researched a bit, but have not found much info on this.

Is there any reason outside of pain control and swelling reduction that we use ice packs on fractures?

Someone mentioned that it can reduce permanent muscle damage by slowing a chemical reaction within the site. No specifics though, so I don't know whether to believe it or not.

I think someone was blowing smoke up your hahoo trying to look smarter than perhaps they really are.

After the break you might have some muscle damage from sharp bone ends, all of which will be permanent. Histamine release, vein/capillary leakage into the tissues causing the swelling, clotting cascade...etc.

Other than the direct physical damage done by the bone and the forces involved in breaking the bone, I'm not seeing the chemical reaction that might be stopped to save muscle....But of course I never see everything.

Lack of circulation can cause secondary tissue damage if not corrected...and some of that might be done by cooling the area, but again, that is a physical intervention not chemical.

Nope. Can't think of a chemical reaction that might be applied to this situation.

Dwayne

Lack of circulation can cause secondary tissue damage if not corrected...and some of that might be done by cooling the area, but again, that is a physical intervention not chemical.

That is the only thing I can think of. Any loss of circulation (which evolution and God has done a good job of building redundancy into the circulatory system) will cause two rings of damage. This is similar to any ischemic event, though (stroke, MI, cardiac arrest, etc). The cells nearest the loss of circulation will die via necrosis and there is no real way of stopping, slowing, or preventing this outside of reestablishing profusion as fast as possible. In the area around these cells and completely unaffected cells is an area of cells that will die via apoptosis. It is this cellular process that can be slowed down and, providing reestablishment of profusion, reversed. This is the reasoning behind induced hypothermia following a cardiac arrest.

Ice on fracture = punch to head.

Seriously, only time I put ice on a fracture the dude nearly cleaned me up. I find that ice will only cause a lot more pain. I have no idea why, maybe something to do with nerves?

Besides, we use airsplints (can’t put ice on once you’ve got one of those on) or Fracboards which go soggy. Ice isn’t even mentioned on our clinical guidelines for fractures.

Otherwise I have no answer to your question, sorry.

Besides, we use airsplints (can’t put ice on once you’ve got one of those on) or Fracboards which go soggy. Ice isn’t even mentioned on our clinical guidelines for fractures.

Commercial ice packs and properly knoted ice bags shouldn't leak for the cardboard splints. I don't actually have a solution for air splints though.

I find that ice will only cause a lot more pain. I have no idea why, maybe something to do with nerves?

I've also noticed that "ice cold" applicants do cause more pain. That's why I've always suggested cool compresses.

One note I'll make from when I was doing my sport's medicine, It's cold for swelling, heat for pain. Apply what needs to be addressed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.