DustDevil Exposed !!

contrary to popular belief -- I do have a personal life.

I sorry, but who gave you permission to have one of those? Huh? I'm afraid sir you'll have to return it right away. See the EMT City QuaterMaster and please make sure it's back in its orginal packaging.

Thank you.

:D

-w

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying that the system is broken doesn't mean that the people who work under the system are necessarily broken.

Actually I just screwed up my shoulder on a job.... :D

-w

DustDevil, early on in this string, said

I was referring to the High Individual Profile Paramedic Act of 1957.

How could there be any type "Paramedic Act of 1957", when the term "Paramedic" itself, didn't come into existence until roughly 1966-1970, at the same time as the term "Emergency Medical Technician"?

DustDevil, early on in this string, said

How could there be any type "<http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a> Act of 1957", when the term "<http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/results.php?searchTerm=paramedic&submit=submit>Paramedic</a>" itself, didn't come into existence until roughly 1966-1970, at the same time as the term "Emergency Medical Technician"?

Easily. It's retroactive. :wink:

It seems clear to me that, as Dwayne suggested, he ignored the entire interview. In fact, almost every accusation he has tossed out here is refuted by the interview itself. I too wonder exactly what interview he listened to, because no intelligent and educated person could possibly come up with all this crap from that interview.

Anthony is correct, that I haven't even been here in four days. As much as I love EMT City -- and contrary to popular belief -- I do have a personal life. But, since none of these accusations have anything to do with what was said in that interview, they're not even relevant to this thread. This ignorance speaks for itself and is unworthy of a response.

I will, however, address one of Basic's many spurious points. I am not above the rules here. You are simply misreading the rules, which is of no surprise to anybody, since you obviously have a tendency to not clearly comprehend the written and spoken word. There is no prohibition against discussing the Basics and Volunteer issues here. The prohibition is against starting topics for the sole point of rehashing the obvious, and against personal attacks on others based upon their Basic or Volunteer status. I support those policies and remain in complete compliance with them.

And luckily, bashing firefighters is still within site policies. :D

Ah, the Duke speaks!

All Im saying is I heard what I heard which was yet more of the same old same old profession bashing bilge water and it lit the fuse on something that has been simmering for a very long time which is that if you think that Basics (and there are more of us than there are of so-called Medics, at least in my state) and volunteers are the downfall of the profession (which you also say isnt really a profession) and that the field is in a sorry state, then either do something to fix it or dont let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. I mean after saving us all from ourselves for 35 years, you must be tired by now.

You tell Dust to go do something...

He IS doing something. He is educating and reeducating with logic.

To me, that is taking an active part in making something better. I do not view it as chronic complaining with no care or initiative to make something better. He is doing what he can and that is getting the information out, in the hopes that younger, smarter, more driven individuals will take up the fight and make our field go where it needs to be.

Those that can do...do Those that can not...teach

For the record, Dust is doing a little of both.

Ah, the Duke speaks!

All Im saying is I heard what I heard which was yet more of the same old same old profession bashing bilge water and it lit the fuse on something that has been simmering for a very long time which is that if you think that Basics (and there are more of us than there are of so-called Medics, at least in my state) and volunteers are the downfall of the profession (which you also say isnt really a profession) and that the field is in a sorry state, then either do something to fix it or dont let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. I mean after saving us all from ourselves for 35 years, you must be tired by now.

"....I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me"

Sound familar?

Okay your special. Feel better?

Seriously, this would be similar in comparison of a nurse aide attempting to keep telling a RN on how important their role is and how much training they have. Sorry, this is not a personal issue, it is the facts. You have less hourly education than the person that cuts my toenails. Don't like that then go back to school!

Like any other profession, get a job, get a loan, go to school. Seriously folks, its not that hard. Just like everyone else and every other profession has to do the same thing.

Are you inferior in position? YES! Sorry, that is the truth. Is this personal NO, again the hierarchy of the profession. Again, don't like it, then quit whining and go to school and correct it. As long as Paramedic is the top or gold standard that is the way it will be. You knew this when you entered the profession, so quit attempting to justify yourself and the lower level. Your role is simply to provide the elementary care and to assist those that can provide more in-depth care. Just like a nurse aide that is trained in the simplistic basics of nursing, the BASIC EMT is trained in the simplistic didatic and skills. Sorry, that is the way it is, even if you had a 500 hours course. You are still the entry level and that level is currently only able to provide non-in depth care and just enough stabilizing as a first responder.

Dust and myself have brought up these issues because without such stimulation and most would presume that this is the just the way things are. Unfortunately, most that enter this job are ignorant about their chosen profession. Again, most do not attempt to foresee or look into the future for developments or change within the system.

I am on several state committees attempting to change things. EMS as a system has NOT changed much in the past 30 years. Again, one that HAS been through this, I can also attest to it. Yeah, there are some new toys to aid and assist in patient care... so what? We would had had those because of patient care within emergency medicine. It was not EMS that invented them or even performed studies that changed patient care solely.

Has the system changed? Not really, many people in the U.S. can still only recieve BLS care when they need medical treatment. EMT's are still only expected to read and study from elementary level books. EMS systems still have no professionalism benefits such as entry requirements, pay structures, and benefits in comparrision to other medical professionals.

Don't blame Dust, he is simply the messenger to awaken others of the problems. Without awakening many entering the profession, most would assume status quo. Again, you don't care for what he describes, change it.

R/r 911

NREMT-Basic:

Not to call you out personally, but I guess by putting your name here I am. Anyhow, I have read a lot of your posts and some of the dribble you have spouted. (Note: I'm not saying here that everything you have said is dribble.) You seem to have a great command of your keyboard.

It appears that you have quite a bit of training, maybe even over and above what is required for your certification level. But, my question for you in all of your ranting and raving about being cut down as a Basic is WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU ACTUALLY TOUCHED A REAL PATIENT IN A REAL EMERGENCY?

I have yet to see you talk about real patient contact of any kind. Maybe you need to go out and spend a lot of time on an ambulance looking at real patients and then tell us how educated you are and why the opinion of basics is not a valid one.

I commend you for wanting to help in disaster situations and be a part of your State Disaster response. I'm not against volunteers, just volunteers or anyone else for that matter that does not have the training or the aptitude to do the job CORRECTLY!

Furthermore, your protocols allow you to give NGx3 without an IV? WTF? As a Basic, do you even know what NG does and how it works?

And before you ask, I am a Paramedic, and my last Pt contact was 0800 yesterday morning near the end of my shift. And yes, I am a full-time EMS provider.

I see a lot of "keyboard commandos" here. Not everyone(you know who you are) but there appears to be a lot. My task for you, go out and touch a pt instead of touching your keyboard!

Steve

OK, everyone PLEASE STOP!!!!!

What a waste of bandwidth, Dust Devil may indeed come off as an insulting, obstinate, and overly opinionated (and those are his positive points… kidding). And he is the last person on this board that needs defense, but it should also be noted, he is also involved, insightful, and intelligent, so the majority of his posts add a positive contribution to this site.

I digress; this thread was about his INTERVIEW…

An INTERVIEW…., HE WAS ASKED FOR HIS OPINION by EMS Solutions, ASKED, so first he was FREE TO SAY ANY DAMN THING HE PLEASED.

Second, I listened to the interview, and don’t know what all the fuss is about, to my “Yankee” ears he was thoughtful, and well balanced in his OPINIONS, and was not in the LEAST self promoting, nor degrading to others.

It is obvious some posters here have a giant chip on their shoulders (and no my shoulder has bashed rotator cuff, so don’t look at me).

At first IMHO, this post was to alert the folks that might want to know and to maybe rib DD on his 15 minutes of fame.

Now it seems as an poorly veiled attempt at the fulfillment of some sort of vendetta, with no point what so ever.

I’m sorry to the EMT-B’s that think they’ve been disrespected in some way, but on average a Paramedic receives 10 TIMES the base education of a EMT, and as well must continue ADVANCING that education for as long as they hold their card, SO THERE IS NO COMPARISON HERE, get over it.

With that in mind, in just about every system you MUST BE AN EMT BEFORE you become a medic, so for the majority of us, we were there too, but more than a few have forgotten their roots.

It’s no secret I work paid EMS, and for the most part (it’s not a perfect world) BLS and ALS work as a TEAM, and for the most part I have great respect for my coworkers.

There will always be an imbalance between advanced anything and basic, that’s after all the point of advancement, so some may move ahead (pick you category), and others remain.

I apologize for this rant, but I am truly disgusted by the infighting and blatant immaturity that sometimes occurs on these forums.

As Always IMHO,

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.