"Where Do We Go From Here?"

There have been some discussions but I think they would focus on just one field.

Some areas I have seen Paramedics work are hospitals, company safety officers, oilfield first aid and safety.

Sure there maybe others but like so many other discussions come back to the low education really limits the possibilities.

Whilst perusing the job posting's at the hospital, I saw one that caught my eye. It was working in the OR working with something called a Cell Saver. I will have to do some more research on it as we received yet another call before I could read the whole job description :roll:.

• 3 weeks later...

At one time I worked at a hospital. A friend of mine became Director of Nursing and I was talking with him and he had an idea that he shared with me. He was wondering how well having a Paramedic working in-house in different dept.s. He called the position a "Patient Care Tech." With the qualifications I had I would work in one dept. then another when some extra help was needed. One day I worked in Respiratory, the next I might work in Phlebotomy, another day I might work in patient transport. At first I stepped on some toes. Like some in Respiratory. didn't like the fact that I could entubate and they couldn't, or in phlebotomy I could draw ABG's and they couldn't. Also with phlebotomy I proved that I could hit veins on patients that were very difficult. It wasn't that I was better at it, it's just that when you are in the back of an ambulance you get use to hitting a moving target and you get experience at using large bore IV's. Even though their seemed to be some jealousy in some of the departments, I got along with co-workers for the most part. I did have some supervisors try and write me up for little piddly crap that didn't amount to anything and they tried to run me ragged, making me hustle all over the hospital. It was not uncommon for me to work in several different depts. during some shifts. But the job only lasted about five months. It was sort of experimental at that time. They decided to stay with the old system.

fire, more than likely the other department heads got their heads together and said they didn't want an interloper doing what they do.

What I mean is that those department heads felt threatened that if you could come and do the job of their techs and do it for less money then the hospital would logically consider hiring people like you to replace the high cost of those staff members.

More than likely you were paid far less than a lab tech or a resp therapist and the department heads were threatened.

No doubt you did a fine job but I would bet that is how it played out.

fire, more than likely the other department heads got their heads together and said they didn't want an interloper doing what they do.

What I mean is that those department heads felt threatened that if you could come and do the job of their techs and do it for less money then the hospital would logically consider hiring people like you to replace the high cost of those staff members.

More than likely you were paid far less than a lab tech or a resp therapist and the department heads were threatened.

No doubt you did a fine job but I would bet that is how it played out.

That's pretty much what I figured. When ever I had a job interview after that I'd have to explain it. For the most part people did understand. And it was great experience.

The obvious answer to the original question is 'back to school'.

If you wanted to do something other than be a field medic, you should have gone to school for that in the first place. It is not the responsibility of the medical community to save us from our own poor educational and career choices. Medics do nothing but whine when it is suggested that nurses or RTs could work in EMS without first going to medic school. Consequently, I can only laugh in disgust when they start whining that they should be granted any kind of reciprocity in the hospital environment. Gimme a break.

What department heads and others in hospitals did not really want was EMT's that had lack of education. Then now you have someone that portrayed to be the "Jack of All Trades and Master of Nothing"..Which in reality means = Cheap Labor = you get for you pay for.

I am sure most were also aware JCAHO would tear them a new one for placing an inferior person that could half arse everything. All because in the name a saving a few bucks only later to have to replace with qualified personnel.

Just consider this, we have discussed how EMT's are not even properly educated enough to perform field intervention then why would anyone even consider them educated enough to perform interhospital care?

My suggestion is to make up your mind, where and what one wants to do. Then go for that education to do it, instead of again performing having the typical EMS mentality and take short cuts and doing things half-arse.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.