Taking a semester off

ninjaemtff

So recently I've noticed that I'm starting to get sick of EMS. Most of you who know me know that I was in medic school. Well I decided to take a semester off to see if this is really what I want to do or not. Just wondering...was this a good idea or a bad idea?

In all honesty, if you're sick of EMS at the ripe old age of 18, I wonder if you should return to medic classes at all.

I mean, you haven't even done any EMS yet and your sick of it? :? If I were you, I would seriously consider another educational stream.

Seems your way to young to already be burned out. Is it school that you need a break from or have you actually learned enough about EMS that you are beginning to doubt this is the profession for you?

I would say make a list of what you like about ems and what you dislike. Weigh the two. If, indeed, it is the profession that bothers you then you should seek another career direction.

I don't think you would excel in this field if you are not highly invested.

If it is the school, as Spenac questioned, then maybe you will be ok. Most students that "just take one semester off", never finish as they intended. Life has a tendency to happen. :roll:

Just my opinion, I say stick it out till summer. You're young..finishing this school may afford you some enlightening life experience.

So recently I've noticed that I'm starting to get sick of EMS. Most of you who know me know that I was in medic school. Well I decided to take a semester off to see if this is really what I want to do or not. Just wondering...was this a good idea or a bad idea?

Great idea. Win-win.

If you aren't 110 percent into it, then you need to get out. If you decide it is what you really want, then you'll go back rejuvinated. If you decide it isn't, then you haven't wasted any more time on it.

Good luck.

Ash,

You know my thoughts on this. You took time off to work things out. I have 100% faith in you that, you will go back,and this is really what you want to do with the rest of your life. Like I've said in previous post, that ever since I've known you, you've wanted to be a medic. I personally think that you taking a semester off was good, simply because I know the things your going through right now, and you would be too pre-occupied with them, and wouldn't be able to give your schooling 100%. So by taking a semester off, getting your problems worked through, then when you go back you'll be able to focus more on your schooling. As far as getting out of EMS, I think you should slow down, that way you don't be come burned out. And if I know you, I know that when you're at home, or at the firehouse, and the tones go off, I know that your the EMT, that takes it..

So my suggestion is, let some of the other EMT's run some of the calls. That way it will help you remember why you started this "hobby" to begin with.

well. the problem with getting sick of it is, are you sick of the job, or the people you work with, or where you work at? Because if you aren't sick of doing the job, its something else that just needs adjusted. Or, you could just be homesick from college...