Jehovah's Witness Interference with Pediatric Care

Captain, I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. Personally, I put Jehovah's Witnesses practices about life saving procedures right up there with female circumcision, suicide bombings, giving rape victim's lashes, and hanging people because they're witches. I think its barbaric, backwards, and reprehensible, and personally, I hope that all of the people who practice such things in the name of God get a real big surprise where they end up in the afterlife.

On the other hand, I am extremely wary of any government interference in people's health care choices. I would rather err on the side of personal choice than forced treatment.

Parents do stupid things all the time. I know it and you know it. They feed their kids such crap that they develop juvenile diabetes. They drive around at unsafe speeds with them unbuckled, and leave them with people they shouldn't to pursue their own interests, and kids suffer for it, all the time, everyday. You need a license to own a dog but not to have a kid, and as much as it hurts to see children suffer, it is better than the alternative, to have government bureacrats dictating our personal lives. There are people who would make the case that smoking around children is tantamount to child abuse, and I, personally, have had to get into heated arguements with school administrators who want a child hauled off to the ER for psychiatric evaluation because they were acting out. This is what happens when we allow people other than the parents to make decisions for the child.

I can't imagine how hard that was for you, captain, but maybe you can get something out of this. A rabbi once told me that if you let someone's death cause you to get angry, or turn against God, or cause you to hate something, then their death becomes a sacrifice to evil, as if the Devil himself caused their death just so you could lose some faith. So maybe the better way to look at this isn't that this teenager died because their parents were assholes, they died so we could all enjoy the freedom to make the proper health care decisions for our loved ones.

If this would have been posted sooner...this thead would most likely be a ton shorter.. :wink:

Very well said..

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry for posting that long post yesterday. It was not intended to insult anyone's intelligence and if you felt that your intelligence was insulted then I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do about that now.

Do NOT applogize for posting that and YOU didn't do any wrong in doing so. In comparison to what VS posted, what you had to say was supremely intellegent and very well explained. If those still choose to disregard us who believe, then let them. BUT NEVER applogize for taking a stand for your beliefe in Faith. When it is all said and done those of us who have faith will have strength to carry on and something to help us look forward to the next day.

Edit-- out of respect for Wendy

Let's not start calling anyone idiots. VS had his position well stated and clearly set out for everyone to see.

Ruff, you didn't insult anyone's intelligence.. it just gave us the other side of the coin and reminded some of us not to take what any "professor" says at face value! A lesson many would be well minded to observe.

Whether you have faith or not, your life is your own to live. To each his own, and don't call anyone stupid for believing or not believing something. That's really not a good idea, and makes you look petty.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Pretty judgemental.. he is expected to accept your beliefs...Not showing the best part of YOUR faith with that statement!!

Yes your right pretty judgmental and shame on me.

Shame on VS and he knows why I said that about him. He knows what he said to and about me in the chat room that night.

Shame on VS and he knows why I said that about him. He knows what he said to and about me in the chat room that night.

Personally, if I were you, I'd try to keep from blasting what people said in the chat room on the forum.

What happened in the chat room, PM's, IM's, or phone calls is not for discussion in the forum without prior OK from all parties involved. Speaking from personal experience. Keep what happens in one area there- that includes beefs you have in other threads with people. Don't bring an argument from one thread to another- bad form.

Honey, haven't you figured out he likes to tweak religious folks yet? Do a search of posts he's done, and look at the go-rounds I had with him a few months ago. He's not a nasty, evil, stupid guy, he's just a very outspoken atheist who is trying to spread his views to the world. He feels that it is a morally better and less complicated position, and enjoys living his beliefs. He also feels that many of us would be better off if we could only see his point...

Sound familiar? Ask anyone who actively works at converting people to any faith... and their reasoning will be very similar. Hence why I said earlier to each his own. Let it go.

If you have a beef with VS, keep it in the PM/IM world. We've all had arguments with him at some point, and he isn't dragging it into the forums (anymore). He's not a bad guy, I swear, and I'm fairly sure he's a good medical provider who shows compassion to his patients.

*end sidetrack about VS*

Now, let it go, and if you want to continue to debate theology with him and argue with him, take it to PM land. Just my 2 cents from having been nearly *exactly* where you are in arguing with him.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Yes your right pretty judgmental and shame on me.

Yeah, chat and forums are two different things...let's keep it that way...

And not to worry. Vs never hangs in these discussions long...try not to take it too seriously...

Dwayne

Thanks Asysin2leads, I've looked for those words for a long time. This kid was a friend to my oldest son and best friends to my nephew. I can still smell the gas and antifreeze from that night. We all took a great deal of risk to try to save him and busted our asses for over 40 minutes to get him out of a bad situation and had hope for his survival which seemed to be squandered by a misguided mother.

There have been literally hundreds of fatality MVAs, to which I hae responded since then, but this one certainly galvanized in me for some reason and bothers me to this day.

I too share your opinion regarding Government involvement in anything and especially matters of faith and wow do they spend far too much time in my wallet these days. My quest for understanding continues, perhaps a little more knowledgable and a little less emotional, wish me luck for I will certainly need it........................

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.