Jehovah's Witness Interference with Pediatric Care

Seeing as how this thread has been thoroughly hijacked already, a couple of things always strike me when these conversations come up...

First, is the number of people willing to arrogantly define faith, how it works, why it exists, all the while claiming they don't have any and can't understand it. :D

The second being the interesting paradox of good, God fearing Christians that can shed tears over the Holocaust, yet are fully in support of a God that could create a Hell....? In this scenario, what is the difference between God and Hitler?

See what I mean? Both side are wrong. So obviously there must be a God. Or not. Simple.

Dwayne

Edited to remove redundant punctuation. Not context change.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as how this thread has been thoroughly hijacked already, a couple of things always strike me when these conversations come up...

First, is the number of people willing to arrogantly define faith, how it works, why it exists, all the while claiming they don't have any and can't understand it. :D

The second being the interesting paradox of good, God fearing Christians that can shed tears over the Holocaust, yet are fully in support of a God that could create a Hell....? In this scenario, what is the difference between God and Hitler?

See what I mean? Both side are wrong. So obviously there must be a God. Or not. Simple.

Dwayne

Edited to remove redundant punctuation. Not context change.

Heaven and Hell are not biblical, they're scare tactics invented by the Church. Anyone who claims to be religious should figure that out after they're done reading the Old Testament...

Heaven and Hell are not biblical, they're scare tactics invented by the Church. Anyone who claims to be religious should figure that out after they're done reading the Old Testament...

So it's your opinion that if there are holes in the old testament that NO deities exist? Yikes, the Budhists will be sorry to hear that....Pretty weak argument DBS.

And has nothing to do with the post you quoted, at least that I can find...

Dwayne

You said in full support of God that could create a Hell. Just pointing out that nowhere in the Bible does it actually say anything about it.

I'm not here to say what's wrong or right. Just giving my two cents on the matter. Religion's a dying institution, as science progresses faith in old beliefs dwindles.

I consider myself a Christian because I try to follow the ideals put forth in the Bible and teach them to my son. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell, or that Jesus walked on water and rose from the dead...

EDIT: To the best of my knowledge the original thought of Hell came from Jureusalm. The poor could not afford burials and were often burned outside of town at a rate that almost made it seem like an eternal flame. Those who could afford it were buried underground. Hence Hell being an eternal afterlife of flame underground.

You said in full support of God that could create a Hell. Just pointing out that nowhere in the Bible does it actually say anything about it.

I'm not here to say what's wrong or right. Just giving my two cents on the matter. Religion's a dying institution, as science progresses faith in old beliefs dwindles.

I consider myself a Christian because I try to follow the ideals put forth in the Bible and teach them to my son. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell, or that Jesus walked on water and rose from the dead...

EDIT: To the best of my knowledge the original thought of Hell came from Jureusalm. The poor could not afford burials and were often burned outside of town at a rate that almost made it seem like an eternal flame. Those who could afford it were buried underground. Hence Hell being an eternal afterlife of flame underground.

In the new testament there are 16 references to hell. Do you want the list of references?

Before you say it's not in the bible you might want to read the bible for yourself.

In the new testament there are 16 references to hell. Do you want the list of references?

Before you say it's not in the bible you might want to read the bible for yourself.

The New Testament has additions, I'm speaking of the original Bible. If you trace it back the concept of Heaven and Hell was applied by the Church, not by those who originally wrote the Bible.

The New Testament has additions, I'm speaking of the original Bible. If you trace it back the concept of Heaven and Hell was applied by the Church, not by those who originally wrote the Bible.

Tenant of the Jehova Witnesses and discredited by almost all reputable scholars and theologians of all faiths

Hell, or Gehenna, was prominent in the Pentateuch long before the established Christian church began modifying/translating/interpreting the texts.

May I suggest reading some theologians like Martin Buber and others like him, especially their sections on the history of the Old and New Testaments including who wrote them, what's been translated, etc.?

It's fascinating stuff. If I can find my old Christian Theology compilation, I'll let you know who wrote it. Great perspective on the evolution of the texts and the theology.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

ok dBS I'm gonna have to consult my theologian friends. You are making me work to prove you wrong. No offense ok. I'm just wanting to prove it to myself.

If I'm mistaken let me know.

This information was relayed to me by my Uncle, who is a Catholic Priest and a Philosophy Professor at his town's community college.

Personally I've never read anything prior to the New Testament, I'm too young.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.