Firefighter gets prison term for fatal crash on way to fire.

brentoli

84 MPH on a blind hill on one of the most winding roads in the state of Missouri. With no woo woo lights even. I'm glad he's getting locked up, hope he has some time to reflect on his own stupidity......................................... :x

84 MPH on a blind hill on [s:d400ec77b8]one of the most winding roads [/s:d400ec77b8]in the state of Missouri. With no woo woo lights even. I'm glad he's getting locked up, hope he has some time to reflect on his own stupidity......................................... :x

Don't you mean on any road in Missouri south of the Missouri River? :D

Exactly the reason why you should have to respond to the station to run any call if you are a volunteer.

If you don't make it to the station to run the call then Go home

A little history of a incident I had happen to me when I was working in a rural ems/hospital based ambulance.

We were responding to the scene of a rollover into the local lake. Fire was also going to respond but they were volunteer so they had to wait till they got enough personnel in to man the truck.

We came upon an intersection and as we were proceeding thru the green light, a small pickup with a blue light on the dash busted the light and nearly hit us. He never even slowed down for the light, just went right thru.

We continued on to the call and took care of the patient. The next day we were at the fire station talking to the chief. He took our concerns serious enough to ignore them. He said we should have been paying more attention.

It went up the chain of command at my work and I have no idea what happened. But the chief showed his true colors that day.

We came upon an intersection and as we were proceeding thru the green light, a small pickup with a blue light on the dash busted the light and nearly hit us. He never even slowed down for the light, just went right thru.

1 dash light beats a lit up ambulance any day. :wink: Just like this duce I'm holding beats your royal flush any day. :roll:

Bet the idiot didn't even have correct insurance for an emergency response car.

Even though they sell dash lights to anyone, in all sorts of styles and colors; most vehicle codes will show them as being illegal in personal vehicles. If you do want to sport an emergency light, it must be visible w/ in 360 degrees of the vehicle. Besides, I doubt they all install them properly. You go sliding into something w/ a light cord over the air bag, you'll wish you didn't have it in the first place. Nobody looks good w/ part of a Kojack light impaled in the side of their head.

4cmk6, I live in a state where even the full emergency vehicles are mandated to operate with "Due Regard" for other vehicles (NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law #1104) The statement that a Chief of Department blew off a complaint on one of his (her?) members doing an action that could have resulted in death or deaths of the ambulance crew AND the person in the car with the Blue Light is a nasty problem. I'd talk with the Chief again, and threaten going public, with day, date, time, and particulars, as to NO investigation being done, in the local newspapers, or in the municipality council chambers.

Even if nothing was going to be done, the chief's proper response should have been to the effect that the department would investigate the reported incident, and determine if further actions should be taken. This should have also mentioned that, whichever way the investigation went, they would keep you advised as to that outcome.

• 1 month later...

It's about time.

In NJ, we were allowed to have blue lights if we were volunteers. I admit I had one in the beginning. But I NEVER went through a red light, or expected people to pull over. If they did, great. If not, oh well.

I have personally been involved in two accidents where the EMT driver was at fault. The first was my partner going lights and sirens with a back injury from an MVC. She went through a "green" light (I still say it was probably red) and clipped the front end of a car coming through the intersection. The other was a moron driver who wasn't familiar with where the hospital was. I lead him there in the medic truck (Explorer) and he rear ended me at probably 50 mph. That hurt....a lot.

In NJ, most all ambulances respond to calls and return to the hospitals with L&S. When traffic was rediculously busy, we'd tell them to kill the lights if it wasn't emergent. They'd look at us like we lost our mind. It's like they didn't know how to drive without the woo woos on.

Now in FL, we respond dependent on disptach protocols. It doesn't always work for the better, but it's a start. When someone calls c/o cold flu symptoms, we got without L&S. And we very rarely respond back to hospital with lights on unless it's emergent. I'm not saying this is perfect. There have been MANY times where we were disptached code 2 (no lights) and we get there, and here's the pt dead or near death. By all means, there are catches. But I think it's better than going everywhere with lights on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.