What Do You Love? (About this job)

AnthonyM83

Though I'd turn the other thread around. What do you like about the job? More than just "getting to help".

-Cracking up in the ambulance with your partner to the point you can't answer the radio without laughing.

-When the ER doc, lets you participate with a procedure.

-Dry runs in the middle of the night (aka no transport)

Though I'd turn the other thread around. What do you like about the job? More than just "getting to help".

-Cracking up in the ambulance with your partner to the point you can't answer the radio without laughing.

-When the ER doc, lets you participate with a procedure.

-Dry runs in the middle of the night (aka no transport)

I agree with all this!!!

Me and my partner are goofy as hell, so we aree always making fun of coworkers and people and laughing, especially on radio.

I also like the hot nurses in the sexy scrubs :lol:

I spend way too much time complaining about what I don't like, and this thread gave me a much needed reality check! There are so many things I like about having the opportunity to care for the sick and injured. I am the first in my family to work in health care and have had opportunity to serve in such a broad range of roles from EMT-Basic to Paramedic then Training Officer and finally EMS Director. Now I'm in Critical Care and the learning has begun anew.

There have been so many patients helped and unfortunately a great number that could not be helped. Education came from local colleges, training from my mentors, clinical judgment has been and is now being provided by each patient I care for. I owe all of these folks immensely as they have provided a man of average background and culture the opportunity to be successful in a very challenging environment. To those who allow us to invade their most sacred personal space, we owe a huge debt of gratitude!

I'm not much for the "touchy feely stuff" but here goes, Some of my favorite things are:

A sunrise while on the way back to base after a rare opportunity to make a difference, especially on cold mountain mornings in the early spring.

A parent in the ER with a teenage son who has just destroyed their new car, that while the son is saying "mom I'm so sorry about the car", interrupts her son by saying "it's just a car son, it's just a car" and ask how he feels.

Really good physicians and nurses that value our contribution to patient care and show us respect, there aren't many but, those who do are incredible and provide another valuable learning opportunity We are responsible for being humble enough to ask questions of these folks.

Partners that understand that when driving emergency or not you should always "drive only as fast as you are willing to wreck"

As patronizing as it may seem, EMT City. In the history of our industry there has never been a "vehicle" for transmission of information, thoughts, emotions, data (good & bad) as valuable as this. Where else on earth can you find virtually instant feedback from some of the brightest, most educated and experienced minds in worldwide EMS? I've learned to tame my tongue and think before "speaking" these folks will call us on silliness or bad information and rightfully so.

1. A thank you card from a family we got into a serious arguement with regarding patient care.

2. A sense of family where I work

3. The people I met at EMT City. They have helped a lot with information and when needed a boot in the a$$

I'm not much for the "touchy feely stuff" but here goes, Some of my favorite things are:

A sunrise while on the way back to base after a rare opportunity to make a difference, especially on cold mountain mornings in the early spring.

My partner, morphine, D50, war vets, little elderly ladies. I'm sure there are plenty of other things I love about my job.

My partner makes me laugh, usually at the most inopportune moment, and generally causing soda to shoot out of my nose. She's dedicated, hard-working, willing to learn, and she tolerates all my quirks about patient care, clean trucks, and complete paperwork.

Morphine, because I may not be able to fix a fracture, but I can ease the pain of the 76 year old lady that just fell and broke her hip.

D50, because my patient goes from unresponsive to talking to me in a few short minutes. I'm also pretty good at convincing them to be evaluated further at the local ER after bringing them around.

War vets, for their stories. I can sit and listen to them for hours, and I'm lucky for the few minutes I get to feel history through their voice.

Little elderly ladies, because they are often so nice, so apologetic for being ill or falling, and so talkative about all the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren they are so proud of.

Although there is just as much things I don't like as I do, lol, the things I do like is knowing that you are there, not only to help, but to make a difference in someones life. Especially on a rather long transfer. I feel that having advice coming from someone from a medical standpoint and career does a lot of good (ex. attempted suicide.)

I'm sure you all have had many people tell you "I sure am glad you can do that job, because I sure couldn't." Statements like that let you know that you have a job that is out of the ordinary.

Also, the fact that every call you go to is so much different and unique. You will never have a call that is the same exact thing that you just got off of, as far as working it goes.

Then you get to tell everybody how crazy/rude/serious your patient(s) was.

ok here's one for ya

Have ya ever gone on a call and gone through the motions, gotten to the point of deciding where you were going to transport to, you tell the family or the assisted living place the Pt is living where he or she will be transported to and the Pt hears it all of a sudden gets off the stretcher and drops trou and urinates on the wall and I love the elderly ladies that have diff. breathing and you find out its the elderly husband that forgot to fill his wifes 02 tank and they both feel so bad for our dispatch that they say im so sorry for having to have you guys out here this late, i just say dont worry about it if we didnt love what we do we wouldn't be here. I love when things like that happen it just makes me want to get up even more for the next call.

*sigh*

Lights and sirens.

Lifepak 12's that make sounds like:

"Beeeeeeeeeeeep" when you turn them on

and

"Beep beep, Replace battery"

you get the point.

actually, my favorite part is knowing that people dont realize how important 'we' are until they need us. also the excitement of not knowing whats going to happen next. for instance, yesterday, I was at the station writing :twisted: latin :twisted: words and 30 seconds later inside the box going to a 'I fell out of bed'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.