Fx pelvis and femur injuries

Have some one maintain manual traction on femur, have sam sling on board, roll patient onto board. Secure pelvis with sam sling and place hare traction. Total time: < 2min. Take pt woo hoo to hospital calling trauma alert. Drop off pt, do paperwork. Finish 12" Subway Meatball Sandwich. Clear from hospital.

LOL

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**starts rummaging through the cabinets looking for the MAST.

Spend five minutes cleaning dust of [sub:461bf86a1d]MAST PANTS[/sub:461bf86a1d] and trying to remember how to inflate. Legs first, then abd, or abd then legs, or right leg, abd, lef... oh screw it. ;)

thanks. so then you would load and go,stabilize while en route?

Yes. That's not to say you should be cruelly inattentive to stabilization, but manual stabilization will do until they are backboarded. If you have a pelvic sling or TPOD or something, apply that at the same time as backboarding.

Let nothing keep you from hauling ass to the hospital.

'zilla

I'm giving him a quick roll onto the backboard. Then we're getting on to the hospital. If we're BLS, there's nothing else to do, but assess, O2, and watch 'em. If we're ALS, he gets aforementioned O2, other standard stuff on the way, IV, ECG, etc. Load him up with some Fentanyl.

I like the Sam Sling, if you've got it. Upside down KED works well, but it's a pain at the hospital. They look at you funny. I'm not putting a SAGER traction splint on someone with an unstable pelvis. The Hare is a different story... Maybe...

If you can move them onto a backboard another way, then it would be appreciated, but often rolling is often done out of necessity.

For this situation, I'd place the MAST pants on the backboard before hand and use it to splint the fractures. SAM Slings are nice, but don't do anything for the femur. The HARE/Sager is good, if the pelvis and the patient are stable.

If you still carry them to meet your area's regulations, now is the time to use them as they were intended.