Ink

SA_Medic

EMS professionals and tattoo's?  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • As long as it's covered

As in immediatly pulling the ambulance over and calling 911 to report indecent exposure? Being able to explicitly describe his piercing would make prosecution a slam dunk.

Not that easy. Most people at work know what it looks like because he shows pics of it. Big side note: he shows the pics BEFORE telling people what it is.

The thing is, I love the company I work for. They do have some problems (what company doesn't?), and their main one is that they will not punish medics. I know these aren't good enough excuses for staying for some people, but I love working there. This is the way I look at it - instead of quitting and going somewhere else, why not stay and try to make the company a better place?

I know I didn't do enough in this case, but I am trying harder. I've let people know I will not accept inappropriate behavior, and those that do it will be reported.

-Kat

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the way I look at it - instead of quitting and going somewhere else, why not stay and try to make the company a better place?

How exactly are you making it a better place by allowing this kind of unprofessional and criminal behaviour within the organisation? You're not improving anything. You're part of the problem.

I know I didn't do enough in this case, but I am trying harder. I've let people know I will not accept inappropriate behavior, and those that do it will be reported.

How do you figure? Sounds to me like you have let them know the very opposite. You have demonstrated to them that you are willing to turn the other way and ignore unprofessional and criminal behaviour.

Sorry, but I'd fire you both, as it seems obvious that you both need serious re-education on the subject of professionalism.

Situation #1. I had a young Basic female partner, the song Downtown came on, she remarked to me that she had never had anyone go "downtown" on her. She then proceeded to ask me if I wanted to "fix" that for her. The quotes are because this a family site and she wasn't that subtle when she asked. Now keep in mind I was living with someone and we were looking at the Green Mile walk down the aisle. She had met my girlfriend and she still made that offer. To answer the question that Dust is going to ask, yes she was very cute with a nice little bod.

Situation #2. Caught an overtime shift with a new Basic, very sweet and very hot. We had a patient in the back and I was sitting on the bench doing paperwork, she bends over in front of me to get a BP. Being a gentlemen I move down the bench a bit. She looks at me and asks why I moved, I told her I didn't want her thinking I was ogling her ass. She then moves down in front of me again, takes a wide stance and slowly bends over in front of me again, giving that little look around. OOOFTA!!! Once again I was committed to the same girl I mentioned above so nothing happened then either.

:angel2:

My point is harassment goes both ways. The difference is if I complained two things would have happened, zilch and nada. If it had been the other way around I would have been fired.

The problem is for many EMS is a swinger lifestyle. Hell, we're all guilty. Who hasn't slept with another Medic, Basic, Nurse, CNA, RT, X-Ray tech hell even Docs. Who isn't a member of the lights and sirens club? A old partner of mine said it best, while working a 24 with a young woman. She suddenly comes into his room in the middle of the night wearing nothing but panties and a t-shirt. His quote, what can you do? You just gotta let nature takes it course.

I do not agree with it, and obviously all these people are way out of line. I agree with Dust, until we quit acting like horny teenagers we are not going to look professional.

So based on this topic about ink I have concluded ink = scum. You either harass or cheat.

Been in EMS long time. Met some great looking females. Never cheated with any of them. I have not harassed any of them. I have no ink. No ink = professional.

Just my view based on the facts I have before me.

So based on this topic about ink I have concluded ink = scum. You either harass or cheat.

Been in EMS long time. Met some great looking females. Never cheated with any of them. I have not harassed any of them. I have no ink. No ink = professional.

I have tattoo's that are all covered while I'm at work. I don't consider myself unfaithful or scum. I have a wife that I would never cheat on.

So I guess since I have tattoo's...I'm scum.

Shane

NREMT-P

Just curious..... where in this post was it indicated that the sexual harassment incidents had anything to do with ink? The thread wandered to a new topic, and those comments regarding harassment were irrelevant to the ink question..... The generalization made that "ink=scum" is inappropriate.

I have tattoo's that are all covered while I'm at work. I don't consider myself unfaithful or scum. I have a wife that I would never cheat on.

So I guess since I have tattoo's...I'm scum.

Shane

NREMT-P

Yup. :twisted: No of course not. I was just illustrating what I was able to get based on discussion in this post. Blanket statements are always false, oops blanket statement so maybe not always. Sorry should have clarified in post. No offense intended. As long as ink is always covered when at work it's your choice.

The generalization made that "ink=scum" is inappropriate.

That's your opinion. But, inappropriate or not, that is a popular public perception.

And that is the point.

That's your opinion. But, inappropriate or not, that is a popular public perception.

And that is the point.

I agree that it is a popular public perception.

I don't agree that an EMS member should make that same generalization based on this thread. "So based on this topic about ink I have concluded ink = scum. You either harass or cheat. " If the comment was made tongue in cheek, I guess my poor mood tonight made me miss it... and I will apologise if that was the intent, as I have then misunderstood the poster.

I do feel that it is part of our job, our professionalism, to portray ourselves as well as possible, and knowing that my tattoo may offend someone, I keep it covered while on duty.

It would be interesting to be able to do a study similar to the one regarding doctor attire done in 2005, which showed that doctor attire had no impact on patient's evaluation of abilities (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/62961.php) to see if tattoos impact a patient's evaluation of a health care provider.

I agree with scaramedic that we are not going to be taken seriously as a profession until our behaviors improve, not just appearances.

I agree that it is a popular public perception.

I don't agree that an EMS member should make that same generalization based on this thread. "So based on this topic about ink I have concluded ink = scum. You either harass or cheat. " If the comment was made tongue in cheek, I guess my poor mood tonight made me miss it... and I will apologize if that was the intent, as I have then misunderstood the poster.

I do feel that it is part of our job, our professionalism, to portray ourselves as well as possible, and knowing that my tattoo may offend someone, I keep it covered while on duty.

It would be interesting to be able to do a study similar to the one regarding doctor attire done in 2005, which showed that doctor attire had no impact on patient's evaluation of abilities (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/62961.php) to see if tattoos impact a patient's evaluation of a health care provider.

I agree with scaramedic that we are not going to be taken seriously as a profession until our behaviors improve, not just appearances.

It was done in spirit of jest. It was done to illustrate honestly how little info I was able to gather after reading the thread. Wish I hadn't done it because the ink people known as hells angels are camped around my house :) . Just kidding. I do think it is very unprofessional to have exposed ink. In my area most people still look at ink as you are a biker trouble maker or an escaped inmate. I do realize that now days many consider it art, I don't but that is my opinion.

But back to my OP if an outsider had read what I had just read that was about all they could conclude, that or that all paramedics are sex perverts.