Firemonkey Madness

Dustdevil

Fire Departments should...  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• Only hire applicants who are already EMTs.
    • Train their own EMTs.
    • Get out of the EMT business altogether.

[/font:51678c88ff] Oh you poor misguided young EMT.

Two quick points:

1: If your motivation is money GET ANOTHER JOB!

2: If the first one on the scene of one of your loved one's life-threatening medical emergency is a Firefighter, you better pray that Firefighter has EMS skills!

OK one more point...... if you are inferring that the only good EMTs ride in Ambulances you are DEAD WRONG and living in some egotistical. self-importance based wilderness!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... so you mean I can't be a soprano and a pastry chef?

I think you can definitely achieve adequacy and even COMPETENCY at multiple skills. I think to achieve MASTERY, you must pick one or the other. Because you do both doesn't make you automatically bad at both, just keeps you from realizing full potential in one or the other...

Personally, I think I'm a decent cook, choir girl and EMT... and am not really advocating pursuing fire based EMS as your best option, just saying that there was a logical fallacy there.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

[/font:bdef6a606f] Oh you poor misguided young EMT.

Two quick points:

1: If your motivation is money GET ANOTHER JOB!

2: If the first one on the scene of one of your loved one's life-threatening medical emergency is a Firefighter, you better pray that Firefighter has EMS skills!

OK one more point...... if you are inferring that the only good EMTs ride in Ambulances you are DEAD WRONG and living in some egotistical. self-importance based wilderness!

Wow I have not been called young in a long time. Thank you.

I do live in the wilderness. I have seen the fire based paramedics come work part time and not last one weekend because they were unable to handle the stress related to being on your own making all medical decisions on your own. There is nothing wrong with FF being trained to do basic skills, i.e. first responders, emt-b's. But EMS should be a separate service focused on real medical education and treatment.

I have met some good fire based emts of various levels but never a great one. The bible mentions ( paraphrased )you can not serve two Gods because you are divided and can not give your best to both. Same principle applys in EMS and Fire. If you are divided you can never realize your greatest potential. Our focus must be on giving the patients the best medical care. Giving the best requires devoting ourselves to our profession.

[/font:3adabd01ce] WHAT THE...... Oh.. Indiana...that's why.

Nice one

Dude.. I see you have only a few posts here.

Just a few suggestions;

People will debate Fire/EMS with you. People will discuss what ever you want to discuss.

Once you go off the walk making rash accusations and generalizations, people will lose respect for you. You will be the butt of all jokes private and public. Even if you came up with an idea completely wonderful and a new revelation, no one would respect it because of your past.

We forgive first time posters around here, just think before you type.

Fire/EMS is an olllld argument here on the City. Relax, take the time to lurk and see who really seems to hold what opinion, and then argue with the ones you see fit to rumble with. It'll be much less frustrating and more productive... and you might just have some insight that no one's come up with before! It does happen occasionally.

So tell us more about yourself? Where do you work that Fire/EMS works for you? What rank/cert are ya and how long you been in the field?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Dude.. I see you have only a few posts here.

Just a few suggestions;

People will debate Fire/EMS with you. People will discuss what ever you want to discuss.

Once you go off the walk making rash accusations and generalizations, people will lose respect for you. You will be the butt of all jokes private and public. Even if you came up with an idea completely wonderful and a new revelation, no one would respect it because of your past.

We forgive first time posters around here, just think before you type.

Welcome to the site. Learn some manners ( wow did I just say that, does that mean I have to as well? ). Then join the debates. we love different views. We love passionate people that make us think.

[/font:ccee29e67d] Don't take this wrong but you need to get out more. There is a lot more your out there than what you have experienced in your wilderness. There are actually very competent Fire/EMS personnel, that have successfully completed the same EMT training program as you, passes the same National Registry exam as you, and in several instances experienced and dealt with much more misery and trauma than you could imagine. Open your mind a bit and you will realize that we're all on the same team with the same public service goals.

Sirrah, I suggest you do the same.... until you've ridden Spenac's bus and he your engine, do either of you really have a good frame of reference for what the other's professional life is like?

Really... I promise not everyone hates you because you're fire based EMS. Some of my best friends and a couple of the men I trust most with my life are fire based EMS.

Lfdcaptain, you're committing the serious newbie sin... think back to your probie days and how folks treated you when you were uppity at the new station... that's what you're catching here. Chill out, no one is out to jump your bones, but you're posting kind of antagonistically and about something a lot of us have seen before.

Now, everyone take a deep breath, open your mind and realize that there may be validity in critiquing any system, INCLUDING YOURS whether it's wilderness, scouting, or fire based.... :lol:

Wendy

CO EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.