Waddya hate?

nremtp

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate getting into my truck that has just come back from the shop for the 6th time having the A/C fixed, only to have to down it halfway through the shift for the A/C going out. The mechanic we used is making millions of dollars off of the hospital, and at least three trucks are there at any given time. The 2 trucks we got last year have been out of service for months because of bad mechanics that have political ties to the hospital.

We are not seen as healthcare professionals! We are considered lower or inferior to RNs and every other healthcare profession. We are not taken seriously by the doctors or nurses and are seen as stretcher monkeys by people who wouldn't be able to do our jobs even if they had the balls.

I find it funny that bus drivers and train operators make just as much as paramedics in this city and paramedics have alot more education than any of these people. funny how paramedics are considered "unskilled labors" and at the last minute city counsel decides to say oh yeah we will increase wages. Of course that was bs. wasnt it convient that city counsel got a 6% raise? :roll:

complete bs isnt it?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright folks this is my first post and not exactly the type of post I had planned on for the first one on this forum however this topic caught my eye. To start with I have been a paramedic for almost 15 years now and have only worked for two private services during that time. Oh yes, I'm 39 years old,,, OK back to the question, What do I hate about my job? Well, I suppose that one could find lots of things about this business that we hate and narrowing it down to the main topics took a bit of thought. We have to remember that most people could find things they hate about their job whether inside EMS or outside which I think is important to remember. But I have still not answered the question so here goes. I agree with everything that the original poster stated and think that there was a bigger issue hit upon there. The lack of respect from the people in the hospital to the regular "Joe's" on the street are what I feel is part of the disparity in pay between paramedicine and other health related jobs. Many of the people I meet either think we make a lot more money than we truly do or they think we are nothing more than glorified taxis and deserve exactly what we get or less. A few weeks ago my partner and I had stopped in a little store to get a few items. My partner was at the cashier and purchased a can of Skoal. There was a well dressed, middle classed lady that one would assume was educated. She was in front of me and behind my partner. After my partner had asked the clerk for a can of wintergreen Skoal she said, "What if your patients don't like wintergreen?" My partner turned with a confused look on his face and answered, "Excuse me?" She then explained with a smug look on her face, "What if your doing mouth to mouth and your patient doesn't like wintergreen?" I couldn't believe it. My partner didn't know what to say and he is much more reserved than myself as I tend to often open my mouth when perhaps I should keep it shut but I like to speak my mind so I answered for him. "Ms. first off we don't do mouth to mouth as we have this little bag that attaches on one end to a oxygen tank while the other end attaches to a tube that we insert down your trachea just like they do when you are placed under anasteshia prior to surgery. Then we begin to do what is generally termed "bagging the patient" and for you that would mean breathing for you. At this point most patients couldn't give a dang what we have, have had or will have in our mouths as they are no longer alert and on the verge of death." A man behind me at this point began to laugh rather loudly and as I looked back over my shoulder there stood a man missing several teeth that looked as if he didn't finish 6th grade. He then chimed into the conversation, "Heck woman, I knew that. Don't you ever watch TV? They don't put their mouths on nobody. You must be crazy or something." Now apparently this would put a little more credibility about not judging a book by its cover. The woman at this point put down the items on the counter and quickly paid for them saying nothing more. As she left I was certain I could see a rather red tint on her face. All I can say is good guys 1 bad guys 0.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest the only real thing that I hate about EMS, is the patient refusals.

There are many times that People call ems for their selves ,and then when the Ambulance gets there they change thier mind "because they dont want to have to wait in the ER". I mean seriously. If you call ems, you should go to the hospital.

just my input.

The main thing I hate is the People that show up out of nowhere just to see the accident and what the hell is going on. Thank God for COPS most the time they can make them go away so you can do your job. And we shouldnt forget the NOSEY neighbors that see the ambos and come running to see what is happening gezz these people need to get a grip.

ITK

. I mean seriously. If you call ems, you should go to the hospital. .

But what if they call an ambulance, because their heating is out, or they can't sleep, or they want to talk to someone, or the all too common "lift assist"? (such as the Delta call I had the other day). People can say "A" on the phone, but state "B" to the arriving crew, it happens all the time. Not all calls need the patient taken to hospital, and less still are actual emergencies. We should really start to see ourselves as more than just a transport service.

Furthermore, we should not be afraid to say to the patient on an obvious BS call (insomnia, broken fingernail, etc) that their 911 call is tying up emergency services which can be put to better use.

What I am starting to hate, is the blind leading the blind when it comes to lack of clinical insight on calls, and willingness to transport any old crap. Thats the sort of stuff which keeps the "job" from being a "profession"

I know what i dislike about my job and my biggest pet peeve is the malicious 911 abusers. I don't care that I see the same person 200 times in a year for rectal pain. When I start to care is when they are rude and belligerent and start in on the "My taxes pay your salary" and "you tracked mud into my house who is your supervisor" or my favorite "I know the mayor and I could have your job on a plate." These are the folks that bother me. It was their choice to call me and now they are gonna treat me like dirt.... oh well I guess that is why I get paid well for doing what I do.

I can complain about it all I want too and it still won't change the fact that it happens to medical professionals every day all over the country if not all over the world. because of that I really really try to not complain, but rather come in do my job kill them a-holes with kindness collect my paycheck and lord willing collect my pension and get on with my life.I take my job seriously and won't let something like this ruin my career. To me it is more trouble to dislike these things and get upset about than to just deal with it and laugh about it later. Just my 2cents

To be honest the only real thing that I hate about EMS, is the patient refusals.

There are many times that People call ems for their selves ,and then when the Ambulance gets there they change thier mind "because they dont want to have to wait in the ER". I mean seriously. If you call ems, you should go to the hospital.

just my input.

To be honest those are the ones I prefer so I don't break their heart when I tell them no you will not ride in my ambulance. If you call EMS you should be examined then the Paramedics decide if you need to go by ambulance or not. This crap of you call we haul has to stop. If I wanted to do that and make more money I would get my taxi permit. Oh by the way welcome to chat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.