Warning, Very Nasty indeed!! LOL OMG

WendyT

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Doc,

What about a snake or spider bite? I know from personal experience that the brown recluse can do massive tissue damage, that ends up draining a lot of pus.

I don't have much experience with them, but I would expect to see much more tissue breakdown. This looks like a deep space infection without much tissue breakdown.

I feel bad for whoever that patient is. Ow.

Could it be complications from an untreated GSW to the thigh? I'm trying to think of something that could create a pocket like that and facilitate an infection that bad. Stab wound gone wrong? Cactus non-extractus? (ok that was a very bad rhyme... cactus needles or other needles still in the thigh?)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I think I found the second part of this video, it looks like the same setting and is obviously after drainage has been done. Has a bit of explanation with it.

This woman presented with a grossly swollen right leg and an oozing wound on her right buttock, in delerium, raving with a sky-high fever. She had received an injection from a bush doctor and either the injection site was not properly cleaned, the needle was dirty, the injection itself was not sterile, or the woman was just plain unlucky and the injection site was contaminated after injection. The pus smelled mind-blowingly bad. Strep-A is the most common infecting agent, but we had no facilities for checking that so there was nothing to do but get to work cutting & debriding the wound and throwing the kitchen sink as far as antibiotics at it (of course our choice of antibiotics was so poor that we might have been better off to literally throw the kitchen sink at it).

Video part 2??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.