Pickup Truck Versus Telephone Pole

AnthonyM83

Thought I'd give putting on a scenario a try.

Because it's short and so that we can critique each step, only answer one procedure or one small grouping of assessment steps at a time. Wait until my reply, unless you'd like to do something different than what has already been done or you're at the same step.

You just finished a run and are driving (your ambulance) back to the station at 1AM. You see a 1980's model smaller-sized pickup truck that has obviously collided with a telephone. It is partially up on the sidewalk and the front end isn't quite wrapped around the pole, but there's significant intrusion into the hood area by the pole. You're in a suburban environment. Do things by textbook, as if you're being graded. Go.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay just like school...

"I've got my BSI on...

Scene Survey - Police called? Much traffic around? Any suspicious persons or animals I need to be concerned with? How bout fluid leaks from vehicle? is it smoking from under the hood, Any concerning odors.....K enough of that

Ill wait till you answer to start Initial assesment.

It collided with a telephone and this happened? Hot dang! :)

Also waiting for info before proceeding... :lol:

Wendy

CO EMT-B

You notify your dispatch who says they're calling PD. Street and area is relatively empty, occasional car passes by. No fluid leaks and smoke has dissipated, but still in the air, as if collision was recent. Your scene is safe.

(And umm, yes, it was a telephone POLE...I have a bad habit of thinking too fast for my typing speed...odd things get left out)

That must have been one hell of a telephone.

Lets see, if its a late 80's truck, see if there are copies of Debbie Gibson or Tiffany in the front seat, remove via hazardous waste procedures. :lol:

Lets see, if its a late 80's truck, see if there are copies of Debbie Gibson or Tiffany in the front seat, remove via hazardous waste procedures. :lol:

What about WHAM! or Culture Club???? Far more hazardous than Debbie Gibson or Tiffany.....

And back to the scenario......

Number of patients? Are him/her/they accessible?

There is one patient. You see a male in his 40's leaning his head and arms against the steering wheel, with a bit of moving and muttering. He is wearing a baseball cap, t-shirt, and jeans. The patient is accessible from driver and passenger side doors which are unlocked and open easily.

Lets see, if its a late 80's truck, see if there are copies of Debbie Gibson or Tiffany in the front seat, remove via hazardous waste procedures. :P

Debbie Gibson :downtown:

Obvious life threats? Airway? Breathing? Skin color/radial pulse? Does he respond to anything you ask him? If so, how?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

You try to throw away the Debbie Gibson paraphernalia, but your partner smacks you in the back of the head and asks what you're thinking. He stashes it away, saying that's for later.

Tell me the methods you use to assess and I'll tell you what results you get after you "do" them. This way I can see if you skipped something. Asking it in series makes it so I have to assume they were done in the right order...but this scenario makes YOU decide that. :P