So lets just say I want to be a doctor

ninjaemtff

While we are on the subject of comparisons it probably worthy of note to mention that most undergrad degrees in the UK are 3 years (4 in scotland) so someone would walk away from university after 3 years with for example a BSc in biomedical science.

I suspect that has a lot to do with with the fact you guys finish what we would call high-school at 16. Then a couple years of a much more targeted college(not sure if that's what you call it). I guess we would call that a junior college over here (a place where people go to take courses they should have done in high-school to get into the program they want at university). Both systems have there benefits I think. The UK system would be far superior for people who can figure out what they want to do in life at 16. The Canadian system would be better for those of us who haven't got a clue what we want to do at that age.

All that said you can get fairly choosy with your science, technology, and fine arts courses for your final 2 years in Canada. Everyone must do English 12, Math 11, Social Studies 11 and one Science 11 to graduate (in addition to a minimum number of credits) but the rest of your academic time table is open to your choosing in 11/12. I Did English 11/12, Math 11/12, Chem 11/12, Phys 12(did phys 11 in grade 10), French 11, Social Studies 11, Concert Band 11/12, Photography 11, Jazz Band 11/12, Vocal Jazz 11/12, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've mentioned this before, but this is actually how it is done in Iceland. In the capital city (Reykjavík), the physician acting as medical command is actually on a special ambulance. That ambulance usually does not transfer, but in all calls fitting certain criteria, it is dispatched along with a "regular" one. .

Just came on the news - the hospital wants to save money by ceasing this practise, justifying the decision with the rising number of paramedics we have (as opposed to EMT-I). I think the final decision hasn't been made yet, but it doesn't look good. The EMS medical director has expressed serious concerns about this idea.

What this means is that if you're going to have a heart attack in Reykjavik, please do it before January 15, 2008.

Just came on the news - the hospital wants to save money by ceasing this practise, justifying the decision with the rising number of paramedics we have (as opposed to EMT-I). I think the final decision hasn't been made yet, but it doesn't look good. The EMS medical director has expressed serious concerns about this idea.

What this means is that if you're going to have a heart attack in Reykjavik, please do it before January 15, 2008.

Sounds like a real step backwards to me. For the good of your patients hopefully this doesn't happen .

So, what, they can't handle patients without the doctor handy?

Seems to me the doctor should be considered a resource, not a crutch.

Kristo, I have nothing but faith in you and your colleagues. I'm sure you can still handle a heart attack after January 15, 2008.

So, what, they can't handle patients without the doctor handy?

Seems to me the doctor should be considered a resource, not a crutch.

Kristo, I have nothing but faith in you and your colleagues. I'm sure you can still handle a heart attack after January 15, 2008.

A valuable resource that has proved very useful and even essential at times. Losing a good resource is never good.

And I'm actually just another schoolboy, so they're not my patients, as such, but I still appreciate your trust. :P

Sorry for the delay but here is the information regarding application to UK medical schools. I could not find the link on the net I wanted but now I am back home for the holidays I was able to get the information from a book.

All taken from Learning Medicine: 16th edition Stockill and Richards 2003. I belive there is a more recent edition but the basics will not have changed dramatically.

Each year about 12,000 home and Eu students apply to 6000 (soon to be 7000) places to read medicine.

Some of the additional places will be shorter courses for graduates, mostly, but not entirely, science graduates.

About 1500 overseas students compete for 330 reserved places

women comprise just over half of applicants and entrants.

Academic achievement is the strongest determinant in selection, but broader interests and achievements also count.

• 4 weeks later...

Ash,

I can speak personally on this.....Ever since I've known you and have been friends with you, you have been set on becomming a paramedic, and your a damn good EMT. I think its common for people, to question what they really want to do with the rest of their lives, and like I've told you before, I support any decision you make. I think it was a good idea for your to take a semester off, and I know that you're going to go back. Perhaps we'll go back together.... and we need to hangout !:) now since we have til June to ...

And for the love of the EMS Gods please dont give up ems and become a "hose monkey" lol. B EMS needs you!:)