So lets just say I want to be a doctor

ninjaemtff

Ok, so I'm currently an EMT-B I have been one for two years and I'm in medic school, my senior year of highschool (last year) I had the strong desire to become an ER doctor. However I didn't take the right classes and it wasn't towards the end of the year when I realized that I wanted to be one. So here is my plan, I will finish medic school get the AAS in that, get a job as a paramedic while going back to school to become a pre-hospital rn, and then go on to finish up what I need to, in order to become a dr. Is that a good idea?!?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the states but I know it will be a possible route to MD in Canada very soon. The programs are coming into place now that will allow students to attain a 4 yr bachelors degree in paramedicine. I don't know anyone who has done it to date but none of the programs have been in place for very long either.

Personally I would choose students with either a nursing or paramedic degree over students with a bachelor of science. Bsc students have a great academic background but they usually lack patient care experience. I'm not saying Bsc students can't develop that, they're just at a disadvantage in that arena.

You need to start laying the academic foundation for the sciences and math classes required for pre-med now. Some of the survey science classes (survey of chemistry and survey of physics) in an AAS and RN school are not going to cut it. Go through the science and math sequencing to otain the higher courses. They will of course still work for the degrees as Paramedic and RN (if that is your prefered route). Both are considered "entry level" and both may not be necessary if MD is your goal. Your bachelors should be geared toward pre-med even if you are also able to work a BSN in there. If you get to that point and realize MD school isn't for you in the future, you can still easily go on to NP or PA.

As far as clinical patient care experience, you will start will that in medical school and then do several years of residency at the bedside. A Fellowship or two will follow that.

If you don't push for your dreams early, you can get too comfortable later working as a Paramedic or RN and MD school will continue to be pushed aside for "another year".

I would go back to school full-time, start in a CC if you have to, transfer to a four-year college, take advice from the pre-health advisors, get all your pre-reqs done. etc. Getting into a good school would be my first priority...

I don't know about the states but I know it will be a possible route to MD in Canada very soon. The programs are coming into place now that will allow students to attain a 4 yr bachelors degree in paramedicine. I don't know anyone who has done it to date but none of the programs have been in place for very long either.

What schools in Canada offer a BSc in Paramedicine other than U of T?

If you want to play doctor, do not waste time and energy going through medic school, nursing school, and a PHRN program. Focus on your pre-med courses and make your goal medical school.

You are looking at a year of medic school, then another year or more to complete nursing school if you medic credits have cross over. While the credits from these courses should count toward some of your pre-med courses, you will still need to complete upper level math and science courses in most cases.

I find that it would be much better to put your time and resources into completing medical school. You should have several years of medical school and a residency to figure out how to take care of people.

Take care,

chbare.

I agree with chbare. If you want to be a doctor then don't bother with paramedic OR nursing school. Get yourself into college on a full time basis majoring in pre-med or a similar science heavy major (bio, chem, bio-chem).

Paramedic and/or nursing school will only delay you. If being a doctor is really what you want to do then don't waste time with them. Focus on an educational program that will get you where you want to be in as direct a route as possible.

Good luck.

-be safe

Personally I would choose students with either a nursing or paramedic degree over students with a bachelor of science. Bsc students have a great academic background but they usually lack patient care experience. I'm not saying Bsc students can't develop that, they're just at a disadvantage in that arena.

Paramedicine is a completely different ballpark then medicine.