So lets just say I want to be a doctor

ninjaemtff

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a brain surgeon not a rocket scientist, so don't ask me.

I actually had a number of rocket scientists in my bio and chem classes....they had decided to quit their Jet Propulsion Lab jobs and become docs. The "this doesn't take a rocket scientist" jokes in class were endless...

I actually had a number of rocket scientists in my bio and chem classes....they had decided to quit their Jet Propulsion Lab jobs and become docs. The "this doesn't take a rocket scientist" jokes in class were endless...

LOL! When I was in elementary school in Florida, about half the kids in the class had dads who really were rocket scientists. We didn't think anything about it. Then, after moving back to Texas, I couldn't understand why nobody would believe my dad was a rocket scientist, lol.

Another thing to keep in mind as you pursue your education is that at some schools there are different levels of certain classes. If you are going to take a class, you should make sure you are taking it at a level which allows you to use it as a pre-requisite for medical/PA/BSN etc school in the future (some schools, esp if smaller only offer one level). For example, at my alma mater, there are at least two different levels of chemistry, and 3 levels of physics. People here can easily be trapped in that the lower level chemistry is sufficient for the BSN, but will not be recognized by most medical school admission depts as meeting the prerequisites. Thus a nurse who had no intention of pursuing medical school but who developed it after graduation would have to do another year long chemistry course to meet the pre-reqs.

I'm sure different universities have different ways of denoting these classes, here the first level of most science courses is labeled "XXXX for non-science majors" and will not be counted as fulfilling the prereqs by most medical schools (the reason for the designation is that here they also do not fulfill the req for a degree in a science such as bio, chem, physics, biochem, etc).

So if you're going to spend the time, effort and $$ taking a class, its best to be sure that it fulfills the pre-reqs for anything you are even slightly thinking about doing in the future, as it may save you quite a bit of greif repeating a course that is largely similar to one you've already taken.

Also, I highly reccomend www.studentdoctor.net and the forums there for anyone considering medical school (there are also PA and nursing sub-forums).

Like I mentioned things are only moving in that direction now. Please don't think I am suggesting people with less than a bachelors should be accepted into medical school. I just feel that people with a bachelors in a medical field make better candidates.

Interesting though that in the Uk (and I am sure some other countrys) Medicine is an undergrad course, ie people attend straight from school or college (High School in US terms 16-18 education) and compleat a 5 year course to obtain there MBBS. A lot of universitys also offer the chance to make it a 6 year course and complete a BSc alongside your MBBS.

There are however some graduate courses which are 4 years as opposed to 5 which is what I am currently applying for.

So I would suggest it's certainly possible for people to attend medical school without a BSc depending on the course design. However the Uk post 16 education encourages more specilism with students typically picking 4 subjects rather than what I belive to be the wider spectrum of study undertaken across the pond. Something which is currently under debate within the Uk.

Interesting though that in the Uk (and I am sure some other countrys) Medicine is an undergrad course, ie people attend straight from school or college (High School in US terms 16-18 education) and compleat a 5 year course to obtain there MBBS. A lot of universitys also offer the chance to make it a 6 year course and complete a BSc alongside your MBBS.

There are however some graduate courses which are 4 years as opposed to 5 which is what I am currently applying for.

So I would suggest it's certainly possible for people to attend medical school without a BSc depending on the course design. However the Uk post 16 education encourages more specilism with students typically picking 4 subjects rather than what I belive to be the wider spectrum of study undertaken across the pond. Something which is currently under debate within the Uk.

Just wondering, how competitive is it to get into an MBBS program?