To Carry, or Not to Carry, that is the question???

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must stop operating from the perspective of our worst and instead plan and tool for the best among us. It's completely unreasonable to discount an effective solution to a problem or therapy simply based on the fact that a dumbass in the service will misuse it.

Clear policies, good training and a screening process to determine who should be allowed to be armed will minimize risk. Tazers are a great idea, I personally want an airweight 38 with glaser safety slugs.

We must stop operating from the perspective of our worst and instead plan and tool for the best among us. It's completely unreasonable to discount an effective solution to a problem or therapy simply based on the fact that a dumbass in the service will misuse it.

Clear policies, good training and a screening process to determine who should be allowed to be armed will minimize risk. Tazers are a great idea, I personally want an airweight 38 with glaser safety slugs.

I'm just tired of therapeutically electrocuting people, I just wanna fricassee someone !

Dust, can you imagine how many wackers would be tazing each other if this was standard equipment on an ambulance? :shock: :D

Oh puhleeze.... you don't see whackers defibrillating each other, do you?

Wait... nevermind.

Traditionally in EMS we carry people right?

Often, you see in film, media, and photographs that patients are carried.. That's because prior to probably the late 60's/early 70's, (most) ambulance cots were not multiple level capable. They were 6 to 8" off the ground, some had handles to be lead with, some didn't.

If we have to carry someone, other than normal procedures, I'm a big fan of collapsible and folding stretchers. (Reeves, Junkin, etc)

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely...nobody should be lifted and carried if they are capable of walking themselves without worsening their condition. Too many patients and families just expect us to carry them....if they have been getting about the house ok (to toilet etc) then they can take a few steps to your bed! Even a well executed lift does not do our backs any good, and those backs have to last an entire career!

This is just a matter of having the clinical judgement to determine whether ambulating the patient will do harm...if it will, by all means carry them, otherwise get them to help you help them! (after all, many of the people we transport don't even really need us to transport them, let alone carry them!) :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.