Global Warming and Big Ambulances. An Inconvenient Truth?

Scaramedic

Since a volcano spews more shit out into the atmosphere than we could ever dream of, All the big ass ambulances in the world aren't going to make a bit of difference.

From the US geological survey website (http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/What/VolGas/volgas.html):

Comparison of CO2 emissions from volcanoes vs. human activities.

Scientists have calculated that volcanoes emit between about 130-230 million tonnes (145-255 million tons) of CO2 into the atmosphere every year (Gerlach, 1999, 1991). This estimate includes both subaerial and submarine volcanoes, about in equal amounts. Emissions of CO2 by human activities, including fossil fuel burning, cement production, and gas flaring, amount to about 27 billion tonnes per year (30 billion tons) [ ( Marland, et al., 2006) - The reference gives the amount of released carbon ©, rather than CO2, through 2003.]. Human activities release more than 130 times the amount of CO2 emitted by volcanoes--the equivalent of more than 8,000 additional volcanoes like Kilauea (Kilauea emits about 3.3 million tonnes/year)! (Gerlach et. al., 2002)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc,

You really should get out more, mate :lol: No, seriously, this is a major problem that a lot of people in the US don't seem to want to accept. And I understand that. Why? Accepting that climate change as a fact means having to do something about it - and that requires change in our behaviour.

The US is one of the major players when it comes to global warming. Up until now all we've seen from a european perspective is a president that consistently refuses to ratify the Kyoto protocol, influenced by political lobby from the biggest polluters on the planet.

Is there anyone left on the planet that still does not believe in the link between global warming and changing weather patterns? I find it hard to believe.... I'm sorry but New Orleans was no accident. A tragedy, yes. But no accident.

Let me put it into (for me) a more personal context. You may or may not know that my country, the Netherlands, is for a large part under sea level. If global warming continues at the same rate for the next 50 years then by 2070 something like two thirds of the country will be under water. That's no longer a matter of hundreds of years, this will affect my grandchildren.

With this knowledge you won't then find it a surprise that the first photo was a Dutch ambulance. Our government puts a tax on gas that makes it 4 times the cost that it is in the US, we recycle almost everything that we can, we have wind farms in the North Sea - all because we don't want to drown (Hans Brinker, the boy who plugged the dike, is dead).

Why are we bothering when the big boys don't want to play along?

WM

Is there anyone left on the planet that still does not believe in the link between global warming and changing weather patterns?

Yes. Those of us who know the Ice Age began and ended with absolutely no help from man are still having a little trouble believing that we are the cause of changing weather patterns.

Yep, Katrina was global warming. The fact that New Orleans is a coastal city below sea level had nothing to do with it. Kinda of like how the California wild fires this year is global warming too, even though at least one was arson and the other was accidental [kid playing with matches].

Take a look back in history at world temps. It was hotter a 1000 years ago then it is now. I guess that was from all the emissions the horse and cart were putting out.

I have done research projects on the issue and find no definitive proof of true global warming. Even a majority of the top climatologist will not agree on the issue.

The majority of what people believe on the issue is what they see from the media.

Katrina had nothing to do with weather change. It had to do with a city being built below sea level. Andrew in 92' was a stronger storm then Katrina and that was a decade before. Any storm in the Gulf can be changed by temp affects. The Gulf is a closed in body of water, to the north. Water temps are constantly changing, which changes the way storms react.

Do I think we need to cut back on emissions? Yes.

Not because of global warming, but because of the air quality we are breathing.

It had to do with a city being built below sea level

Exactly, that was what I was trying to say in my original post. The rise in the number of tropical storms in past years and the fact that towns like New Orleans are under sea level make this sort of occurence more likely in the future.

There is a plethora of research into this subject and, admittedly there are some conflicting opions. However, there seems to be a majority consensus that it is having an effect. But believing this makes for some uncomfortable choices, doesn't it? Just imagine a world without SUV's or 24hr AirCon.....

I'm afraid we'll all know who's right or wrong when it's too late.

WM

Debate remains flowing on this issue because there are too many factors involved to definitively pin the weather pattern flux we're now experiencing on the effect that emissions have on the atmosphere.

The overall temperature increase we're seeing may not be entirely caused by human activity. Now, I'm not saying "global warming is a lie" or that we *don't* need to reform our pollution policies and reduce our emissions, but I'm saying that you can't 100% support the idea that human activity is the SOLE cause. Even the top scientists and researchers are still debating this one.

The primary literature is where you can see what we really know about this issue. You know, after we reduced the amount of particulate being emitted into the atmosphere, the rate of temperature increase actually accelerated, according to some researchers, because some of the light energy was being reflected by those particles...

This problem is much more complex than people give it credit for. Yes, you should reduce, reuse and recycle... that's part of being a good steward for the land you live in. But you shouldn't just automatically point the finger at all SUV drivers and say "they're evil and they caused Katrina."

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Yes. Those of us who know the Ice Age began and ended with absolutely no help from man are still having a little trouble believing that we are the cause of changing weather patterns.

The problem is the correlation of human activities and marked changes in weather changing faster than than the historic rate of change through the ages.

I say it very well could be naturally occurring, but it's stupid to dismiss the idea that we're not significantly contributing, because of the consequences. To big a risk. And either way, the efforts still end up contributing to a cleaner environment which is a good thing, especially health-wise.

People won't even stop smoking, drinking, abusing drugs, overeating, skateboarding, or crotch-rocketing to prolong their own lives today. It's absolutely silly to expect that a significant portion of the earth's population will ever be so committed or disciplined to sacrifice their current lifestyle on groundless speculation that it might help somebody else one hundred years from now. Get real, folks. Give it up. You're wasting your time and breath even pondering this nonsense. Move on. Live your life today. Whatever is going to happen tomorrow is going to happen with or without you or me.

People won't even stop smoking, drinking, abusing drugs, overeating, skateboarding, or crotch-rocketing to prolong their own lives today. It's absolutely silly to expect that a significant portion of the earth's population will ever be so committed or disciplined to sacrifice their current lifestyle on groundless speculation that it might help somebody else one hundred years from now. Get real, folks. Give it up. You're wasting your time and breath even pondering this nonsense. Move on. Live your life today. Whatever is going to happen tomorrow is going to happen with or without you or me.

Yeah, it might not affect me too much, but it would be a pretty shitty thing to dump it on my kids like my parents have done to me. There are plenty of things that can be done that will affect something that is not groundless without relying on people to make drastic lifestyle changes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.