Looking for new tricks to play on new hires

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basic, while I acknowledge the fact that hazing is illegal and vandalism of property not appropriate, answer me this, if you really are so sensitive that you can't take a joke being played on you, is EMS really the place for you to be working? You know what kind of situations we run into doing this job, right? This is why these practical jokes and hazing came about. They are tests to see if someons is right for the position. I'm sure your female firefighter must have had a lot of friends after the smoke cleared on that stunt. But then again, if you're a rosy cheeked girl who is physically able to curl up on your co-workers lap, an involved structure with over 100 pounds of gear on is not the place for you anyway.

You shouldn't have to worry about pranks if you assert yourself from the beginning. If someone gives you an order respond appropriately. My favorite line is "Do I look like your bitch?" If you make a mistake and someone tells you the right way to do it, just say "I know." Personally I love it when a newbie tells me that.

If you don't like the way your station does something make sure and point out "that's not the way we did it at Mooseknuckle VFD ." I am sure they will change their policies after that. Also Paramedics tend to get big heads so make sure you point out that "Paramedic save lives, EMT's save Paramedics." I'll tell ya I never get tired of that classic T-shirt line.

Finally make sure and buy everything you can that says Firefighter or EMT. T-shirts, belt buckles, underwear, watches and of course your own personal jump kit. Galls is always a good source.

Good luck and welcome to EMS. :wink:

he forgot that you need to get your own portable BLS equipment with O2 take thats refilled at the O2 refill area for your station, a radio for your personal car to go along with the vector amber lightbar that you are going to be required to buy for your car and have installed along with speakers for the PA system so you can yell at people as your running red lights in your personal car going to calls.

I think that pretty much hits it.

Basic, while I acknowledge the fact that hazing is illegal and vandalism of property not appropriate, answer me this, if you really are so sensitive that you can't take a joke being played on you, is EMS really the place for you to be working? You know what kind of situations we run into doing this job, right? This is why these practical jokes and hazing came about. They are tests to see if someons is right for the position. I'm sure your female firefighter must have had a lot of friends after the smoke cleared on that stunt. But then again, if you're a rosy cheeked girl who is physically able to curl up on your co-workers lap, an involved structure with over 100 pounds of gear on is not the place for you anyway.

I dont have a problem with practical jokes, as I said, and I thought that the weather report on the tac channel was quite funny and will remember it. But when it causes embarrassment or harm to someone, I just dont happen to find that funny, which is what I said. As far as the female firefighter, you're right...it did take awhile for things to normalize after that. But I can assure you, she can handle her own with the best male FFs out there and has no problem carrying her gear or dealing with the other aspects of her job. And when I say that I am not for things that embarrass someone, I mean in a really bad way. The weather thing is funny and if anyone has fallen for it, Im sure they were a little red in the face afterwards. I learned early on not to be the first one to go to sleep or to fall asleep in a recliner in the lounge while watching television. Thats just asking for it. I dont have a problem with having fun on the job, I just dont happen to agree that getting pranked is the way to see if you can handle the job. Im pretty sure thats what practical exams are for.

As far as the female firefighter, you're right...it did take awhile for things to normalize after that. But I can assure you, she can handle her own with the best male FFs out there and has no problem carrying her gear or dealing with the other aspects of her job. .

Well, jeez, then she just have the most efficient musculature known to modern anatomy. I guess all those guys in the fire service who are built like linebackers are just wasting their time then. Maybe I'm mistaken and you can put on 100 lbs of gear, carry 50 pounds of tools up a ladder, then force entry, do a grab, and get back down, and still be petite enough to curl up in your co-workers laps. Its possible. Its also possible that hard nosed homicide detectives look like Angie Harmon, too.

Geez, I hope so. :D

Which of these two pictures is more believable as the female detective who is going to kick down the door of the projects, drag that POS to the station house, and get him to sign the confession?

A.

cagney-and-lacey.jpg

B.

angie-harmon-16452.jpg

This isn't to say women can't do the job. It is to say, if they can, they probably aren't curling up on anybody's lap.

Well, jeez, then she just have the most efficient musculature known to modern anatomy. I guess all those guys in the fire service who are built like linebackers are just wasting their time then. Maybe I'm mistaken and you can put on 100 lbs of gear, carry 50 pounds of tools up a ladder, then force entry, do a grab, and get back down, and still be petite enough to curl up in your co-workers laps. Its possible.

You're right! It IS possible! I am only 100 lbs :shock: , and can hold my own with the rest of the guys at the station (I'm a volunteer F.F.) and my fiance still thinks I'm cuter than heck. don't bash the small people!! (j/k, by the way!!) :lol::lol::lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: but seriously, muscle MASS isn't true muscle. it's the strength and endurance that really matters. I've got body builder friends and heavy-lift champion friends. believe it or not, the heavy-lift champs have LESS muscle MASS!!! :shock: :?: go figure that one out! I'm still a little confused... :shock: :shock: :?: :?: :? :?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.