How do you name units?

shade

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our county the ambulance are either Ambulance XX or Paramedic Ambulance XX. My station has paramedic equipped ambulances and one is always maned with a career crew with a Medic on board. The other can be either ALS or BLS depending on the volunteer crew.

The county's medic chase vehicle go by Medic XX.

The units in the stations throughout the county are numbered as follows:

Station number followed by vehicle number. Fire apparatus is low end. Stations with multiple ambulances will add extra 9 at end if they run out of numbers. Special units have designation followed by station number: (I am at station 2)

we have:

Engine 22, 23, 24

Jeep 2

Squad 2

Tanker 2

Ambulance 27

Ambulance 28

Utility 2 (Command vehicle)

EMS Utility 2 (suburban)

Car 2 (Old Diesel Suburban)

Hope this helps.

We just had numbers at the company that I used to work for. The only unit numbers below 60 were wheel chair vans [they were on a seperate channel and in the unit numbers were in the 50's], so most people dropped one-hundred for our hundred plus number units [ex. unit 104 would be called 04 over the radio a lot].

The county where I used to volunteer was made up of 10 townships with both FDs and VACs. Each township was made into a division, #1 thru 10. The privates were given the number 11. Each department in the divisions were given their own depratment number and each vehicle in that department had its own identifier. So, the ambulances where I volunteered were 5-38-16 and 5-38-17. Ambulances usually had their vehicle IDs as 16, 17 and so on. Not sure how the FD numbered their vehicles. All chiefs were X-XX-30 1st assistants were X-XX-31 and so on. First responder vehicles (fly cars or what ever term you use) were usually X-XX-80 or X-XX-81 and so on. Sounds confusing but made sense with the system we had.

Here is a list to make it a little more confusing.

Private companies here, use a system as follows, the first number is the last year of the model number. if the unit number is 615, it is the 15th 2006 model they got. Now this is limited as it only goes to 99, but how many services buy more then 100 units per year?

and after 10 years this gets recycled, The 8-9-10 year old ambulances are already scraped, and they reuse the numbers.

For FDNY/911 units its done differently they are named,

number/letter

3boy

7ida

etc....

the first 13 letters of the alphabet minus H(henry) are all BLS,

Henry units are haztac units

last 13 letters minus S(sam) are ALS units

Sam units are rescue medics

And don't quote me on this but i believe the number that precedes the letter is the number of the hospital designation.

I don't think hospital designations are used elsewhere, but hospital abc123 will be receiving/designated hospital will be number 09(this in reality is North General but ignore this for the example lol) so a abc123 BLS unit would be 09Ida, or 09Boy

Private companies here, use a system as follows, the first number is the last year of the model number. if the unit number is 615, it is the 15th 2006 model they got. Now this is limited as it only goes to 99, but how many services buy more then 100 units per year?

and after 10 years this gets recycled, The 8-9-10 year old ambulances are already scraped, and they reuse the numbers.

TranScare!!!

Well, another idea is you can always save the term Medic XX for ALS transport units, and for the QRVs, you can call them Rescue XX.

This way, if they here Medic XX responding, they know ALS transport unit is on the way.

If they here Rescue XX, they know its a QRV.

As my son would say HOLY CAMOLY, I finally got Spenac to agree with me on something.

Your training is now complete, Step over to the dark side. Agree with me some more.

Ruff umm I hate to break this to you but when SPENAC agrees with you bad things happen

But I with you all keep the numbers consistant we are JVRS 901 902 903 904 905

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.