How do you name units?

shade

We use the term; "Medic 1, Medic 2" to designate our ambulances. We presently have one smaller response vehicle and will be adding another in the near future. What does everyone call their smaller response units? Presently the one in service is driven exclusively by our director and he uses his persoanl radio number, but whe the 2nd one comes online, we plan to name them individually. Just looking to see what others are calling thier smaller unit.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

call them

medic 1

medic 2

small medic unit

the other small medic unit

Why not

Medic 1

medic 2

medic 3

medic 4

Keeps the numbering consistent and nobody gets confused.

I agree with ruff :shock: .

Think about if you named them responder 1 and responder 2. Your on scene and with all the background noise all you hear is 2. You think Ambulance 2 is responding as you need them but instead you have responder 2 show up, not the help you needed. Is that confusing? Well having several units of the same number can be as well. Just keep all response units following a uniform format, easier for all.

As my son would say HOLY CAMOLY, I finally got Spenac to agree with me on something.

Your training is now complete, Step over to the dark side. Agree with me some more.

At my station we have Ambulance 7-1, Ambulacne 7-2, Ambulance 7-3, Tanker 7-1,Brush 7-1, Engine 7-1, Engine 7-1

We do it this way in order to comply with dispatche centers CAD system. Not to mention it keeps things more organized and gives us a more professional look.

At my station we have Ambulance 7-1, Ambulacne 7-2, Ambulance 7-3, Tanker 7-1,Brush 7-1, Engine 7-1, Engine 7-1

We do it this way in order to comply with dispatche centers CAD system. Not to mention it keeps things more organized and gives us a more professional look.

The only problem is at times all you hear is the last number. You think you have the right back up unit on the way. A different # 2 shows up than you expected.

The only problem is at times all you hear is the last number. You think you have the right back up unit on the way. A different # 2 shows up than you expected.

That is why, in our county, if our dispatchers are unsure of who placed themselves responded, they will say is this Ambulance 7-2 or Responder 7-2. Then they will be able to advise us on scene. For a small county, we have our act together for the most part. Don't get me wrong there is always room for improvement, but for what we have to work with, I believe we are doing a good job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.