need the lowdown on this.......NREMT "thing".

EMT613

"46 states use the National Registry tests as their standard. To say it is a waste of time is a bit foolish."

Its not foolish at all. If you read my post carefully you will see it is true.

to be an EMT everybody have to take an original course and a test that the state will recognize. Right? that's everybody.

So the guy takes his course, and his state test, passes, gets his state license... and then is presented with the chance to take a NREMT test and be certified by NREMT.

now, a NREMT certificate does not allow you to work as an EMT. the STATE license allows you to work and an EMT.

So what good is a NREMT certificate ? well, none.

So say our good man decides to move to or work in a different state. His home state EMT license only allows him to work at the home state. So he must apply for RECIPROCITY to the new state he is going to be working in.

each state is unique. Some ways to get licensed by reciprocity:

They take his home state license and give reciprocity based on it,

They will not take his home state license and demand that he do a refresher from the new state and that the new state's test.

They will not take his home state license BUT will accept a NREMT certificate in lieu of taking the refresher and the new state's test.

So as you can see, If he never plans to move, then a NREMT certificate is worthless.

My state does not issue tests. You must take the NREMT. Good luck getting your EMT without it.

"46 states use the National Registry tests as their standard. To say it is a waste of time is a bit foolish."

Its not foolish at all. If you read my post carefully you will see it is true.

to be an EMT everybody have to take an original course and a test that the state will recognize. Right? that's everybody. Right, taking a non-approved course is not smart

So the guy takes his course, and his state test, passes, gets his state license... and then is presented with the chance to take a NREMT test and be certified by NREMT. This is where you are oh so very very wrong my friend. Many states, as has been stated several times in this thread, do not have their own tests. They REQUIRE NREMT to be passed before applying for state certification/licensure.

now, a NREMT certificate does not allow you to work as an EMT. the STATE license allows you to work and an EMT. Yes, your state certification/license allows you to work as an EMT, but many states will not issue this without having first passed NREMT.

So what good is a NREMT certificate ? well, none. Wrong.

So say our good man decides to move to or work in a different state. His home state EMT license only allows him to work at the home state. So he must apply for RECIPROCITY to the new state he is going to be working in.

each state is unique. Some ways to get licensed by reciprocity:

They take his home state license and give reciprocity based on it,

They will not take his home state license and demand that he do a refresher from the new state and that the new state's test.

They will not take his home state license BUT will accept a NREMT certificate in lieu of taking the refresher and the new state's test.

So as you can see, If he never plans to move, then a NREMT certificate is worthless.

If you had actually read the replies made by seasoned EMS providers, many of which are instructors or have been instructors, you would have known NREMT is required by states to get certification.

• Like 1

But Miscusi, if you live in a registry state, don't you have to keep your registry current and if you let it lapse, then dont' you need to re-register with the registry? Without the registry number in a registry state you don't get to keep your state license right?

I am licensed in Missouri, I was grandfathered in prior to it being a registry state so I dont' have to have my registry so it's a moot point for me.

Like I said, I didn't need the registry to get licensed in missouri and I don't need them now. I just submit my hours and certs and go from there.

I'm not sure what the requirement is for people who weren't grandfathered in, see I'm an old fart medic.

I'm going to recert one more time, for 5 years and then that's it. I'll be 51 years old when I need to relicense again.

My state does not issue tests. You must take the NREMT. Good luck getting your EMT without it.

well that's fine. If the state test is indeed the NREMT test, and you need it to be licensed, then you have no other choice anyway.

I am saying its worthless to people who work in states that does not use NREMT for the state test. therefore NREMT is worthless to them unless they move. like, is that not true ?

But Miscusi, if you live in a registry state, don't you have to keep your registry current and if you let it lapse, then dont' you need to re-register with the registry? Without the registry number in a registry state you don't get to keep your state license right?

I cant speak for those who live in states that uses NREMT as their state test. I live in NY, we have a NYS DOH test, but NREMT is available to be taken here by those who want to go off to a private company and take it, but that has nothing to do with the state.

However I have looked into some states further out from me for reciprocity, and they do want your NREMT to be current to offer you their state license.

to be an EMT everybody have to take an original course and a test that the state will recognize. Right? that's everybody. Right, taking a non-approved course is not smart

So the guy takes his course, and his state test, passes, gets his state license... and then is presented with the chance to take a NREMT test and be certified by NREMT. This is where you are oh so very very wrong my friend. Many states, as has been stated several times in this thread, do not have their own tests. They REQUIRE NREMT to be passed before applying for state certification/licensure.

you didn't read my post correctly scubanurse. I said, that "every state has a test that it will recognize"

that means that there is one test the state will make you take to become certified. it can be a home state test, it could be a NREMT test.

if it is the NREMT test they recognize, then there is no discussion at all, it is mandatory or you don't be certified and licensed.

but the original poster of this thread was asking about paying 90 dollars to go take the NREMT test.

to me, that sounded like he lives in a state that has their own state test, and is now considering the NREMT test.

of such, I stand my ground, and my statement still rings true.

"NREMT is worthless unless you plan to move or work in another state" and to top it off, that state has to be one that accepts NREMT too, if it don't, he wasted his $90 real good.

I didn't get anywhere at all where the OP stated he lived in a state that didn't require the NREMT.

YOU live in one of 4 that do not use it to certify a new EMT. He is just confused about it is all.

Uhh...except the states that require NREMT for initial certification... EMT's also aren't licensed I believe, they are certified.

Actually there are a couple of states that issue licenses instead of certifications for EMT's and paramedics.

EMS has a scope of practice defined by their medical director. There is no legal scope defined for EMS providers, just that of what the medical director approves of under their license.

The nurse practice act, a legal document in every state, defines the legal scope of practice a nurse can have.

I'm sorry, but that is blatantly wrong. Please don't spread information like that around as fact. Every state has a state scope of practise for the various levels of EMT's and paramedics. This is the maximum that they are allowed to do. (Texas is supposedly an exception to this as well). This is very much a legal thing, and like with other types of lower to mid-level providers, may vary from state to state. But make no mistake, it does define the upper limit of what someone may do within that state.

Now individual medical directors may restrict that statewide scope of practise and tailor it to their individual service (or even inidividuals), but with the supposed exception of Texas, may not go BEYOND it. Doing that is what creates local protocols or whatever the term that you prefer is. This same type of thing can even happen on slightly larger scales- I believe that is how California works; counties or regions have defined what is allowed/not allowed in that area (but still not going beyond the statewide scope) and allow the actual medical directors to work off that. Same thing.

Do not confuse "scope of practice" with "protocols."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.