Professional opinions, and unique perspectives

EMT_Journalist

Taking this even farther - we don`t really have any standing rigid SOPs/Protocols/Guidelines (at least not in the way seen in many other countries) which could be easily compared to your system.

See, Seth? There's a point regarding international system comparisons, from one of the 2 guys I had mentioned from Germany/Bavaria.

Hey there, my name is Seth. I'm working on a project that requires me to learn virtually EVERYTHING there is to know about the EMT world.

Thanks all!

Seth

Well Seth : I've been in EMS since 1971 and even though i practice my profession everyday, I still don't know everything there is to know about Prehospital Emergency Care.

There is no quick way to become proficient in everything.

I think the point they're trying to make is that without knowing what it is that you're trying to accomplish it's really difficult to try and get you the information that you need.

There is certainly enough information that would convince someone outside of the profession that you've learned everything, but would be very difficult to convince someone within of the same thing.

Good luck Brother...

Dwayne

I am not sure what your experience has been with the FDs and Colleges but I was thinking that to begin to understand the complexities of EMS this information might be give you some reference points to begin to form an idea of the complex network of coordinated services providing various levels of care to a community that define modern EMS systems.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) developed 10 EMS system elements.

1. Regulation and Policy

2. Resource Management

3. Human Resources and Training

4. Transportation

5. Facilities

6. Communication

7. Public information and Education

8. Medical Direction

9.Trauma Systems

10. Evaluation

Although there is some standardization of the EMS curricula as developed by US DOT every state and medical director has authority to infer in their state and regional and local policy, protocols and procedures. In short, everyone does it a little different. So you can understand the complexities of EMS of which the posters refer.

After 9/11 the NIMS system was formed to help all of these different agencies be able to coordinate efforts in the event of a National or Regional emergency. You can take NIMS training for free on the FEMA website. http://www.fema.gov/...ingCourses.shtm

This information should give you a lead to begin to follow and learn about EMS Systems.

Thank you for sharing this!

Seth

There is certainly enough information that would convince someone outside of the profession that you've learned everything, but would be very difficult to convince someone within of the same thing.

Good luck Brother...

Dwayne has it correct. There are always those who like spreading the male bovine excrement to unknowing people, but insiders can usually spot them.

However, when I make a mistake, or don't know the correct answer, my chances improve when I ask questions, as our original poster (O P) seems to be doing. Seth, while I am on that, if you want to make the investment, and it is somewhat large, see if you can get a copy of either or both of the following EMS Textbooks, or get your local library's copy: Emergency Care, Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured. Both books sell for about $45.00 (EACH) in US currency. Also, just from the BLS, or Basic Life Support, others here might recommend other texts

Unfortunately, you'll find that fire departments insight into patient care is generally limited to putting out patients that are on fire. Try a hospital.

X-D. They wont chase it if its not on fire, smoking hot, or edible.

See, Seth? There's a point regarding international system comparisons, from one of the 2 guys I had mentioned from Germany/Bavaria.

And vorenus isn't even from Bavaria... :)

Even in germany where we have a lot of nation wide regulations in EMS there are a lot of details specific to the different federal states. So you will find significant and sometimes disturbing differences between state's EMS systems and sometimes between one district and the other or even from one village's company to the other. Despite the fact, that education levels and requirements are the same nationwide, there is a standard for vehicles (even EU wide) and only four large organizations have 90% (just my rough estimation) of the market.

So even here in our little country the understanding of the whole EMS system "en detail" would be a lifelong task. Continuing changes included...

If you try this for the "EMS world" as you stated, and that means really worldwide (surprise: there are more countries than the U.S. having an EMS system), then prepare for some real strange experiences. Just to have a general impression about varieties in medical/EMS systems, read Wikipedia.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.