Should you or shouldn't you help?

8-bit

As an EMT-B, in my region of Ohio you are.

The main reason I have it, is my boss is a borderline diabetic and he knows how to use it. I guess the reason is due to many people becoming diabetic or close to it, normally know how to use it... and if the situation comes up, I'll have one that THEY can use. That's properly calibrated and everything.

But you aren't an EMT-B just a student

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had a First Responder on scene refuse to "transfer care".. Told me he was an EMT. It was a sporting event, he was "the team EMT".. I said, yeah, you can't do that. Why not? You didn't bring an ambulance with you to transport the patient, that's why.

Heh.. I was right. He came w/ us in the ambulance to the ER, I ordered him to not touch the patient. He complied. Got to the ER, called the EMS Region, found out he was a first responder. They revoked his certification.

In Australia its Law to stop at any motor vehicle accident providing that emergency services are not already on scene. You can be jailed or face serious fines if you fail to stop/report an accident. Even if all you do is call emergency services then that’s fine. As far as I know you can say “hi I’m an off duty paramedic, nurse, doctor, police officer’ whatever. Most people say they have ‘medical training’ and that’s fine, I’m not quiet sure whether you carry any I.D outside of work but I doubt most Australians would ask for it. In Australia if you provide first aid people can not sue (under the Good Samaritan act) you unless you have caused gross bodily harm or you didn’t gain consent/permission to take a look at them. I don’t think your service would provide you with any insurance if you stated you worked for them but as long as you’re only providing first aid and not dropping an IV or anything you’re covered by the good smarten act. Doctors can do what they please. Personally I’d stop at an accident providing the ambulance wasn’t already on scene, we also carry a ‘motorist first aid’ that I stole from my service lol.

As an EMT-B, in my region of Ohio you are.

As an EMT-B, on duty, working under the immediate authorisation and/or protocols of a licensed Medical Director, you might be. But none of that applies off duty, which is the scenario you are talking about. And, since you are not yet an EMT, you do not yet have a Medical Director, so no... you are not authorised to utilise it.

Playing devils advocate (no pun intended): I can go and buy a glucometer for my self and use it. If when stoping at a MVC, etc I am acting as a private citizen under good samaritan (which in my area I belive says some thing to the effect of you are not liable if you render care within your training level.) and I have been trained in the use of the device, then I should be able to use it. (My protocols allow us to do BGL).

I do not carry one, and probably would not want to use one. Just another side of the argument.

I mean, as an EMT-B in my state I am not allowed to start IVs, but I am trained to start them as a Army Combat Lifesaver. IF I am on scene of accident and EMS arrives can I assist them by starting IV? I probably would not, but could be argued that I can.

Just food for thought.

Sarge

Playing devils advocate (no pun intended): I can go and buy a glucometer for my self and use it. If when stoping at a MVC, etc I am acting as a private citizen under good samaritan (which in my area I belive says some thing to the effect of you are not liable if you render care within your training level.) and I have been trained in the use of the device, then I should be able to use it. (My protocols allow us to do BGL).

I do not carry one, and probably would not want to use one. Just another side of the argument.

Please keep in mind that my response is based only on my knowledge of Canadian laws so maybe it is different in the U.S.A. When you are preforming controlled acts (aka delegated medical acts) you are acting under your base hospital physician's license. You are only delegated with his license to perform those acts when you're on duty with your EMS service.

If you were an EMT-P who was trained to do a cric, do you feel you could legally do that when out in public off duty?

Well, if I had the tools....

We can "what if" things to death with this scenario. Like I said, there are a lot of things that maybe someone "could" do, but might choose not too. I might have my CLS bag in my truck and have a bag of fluids and the set up kit. IF I knew EMS on the way, I probably would not start the IV, just because I do not do it very often and the EMS folks would have the better chance of getting it right.

I was mainly playing devils advocate in my last post because one of the earlier posts made it sound like some one was going to jail for using a glucometer. IF you are trained to use it, I don't think that is the case.

Sarge

Well, if I had the tools....

We can "what if" things to death with this scenario. Like I said, there are a lot of things that maybe someone "could" do, but might choose not too. I might have my CLS bag in my truck and have a bag of fluids and the set up kit. IF I knew EMS on the way, I probably would not start the IV, just because I do not do it very often and the EMS folks would have the better chance of getting it right.

I was mainly playing devils advocate in my last post because one of the earlier posts made it sound like some one was going to jail for using a glucometer. IF you are trained to use it, I don't think that is the case.

Sarge

Like I said, I don't know the U.S. laws, but at least for Canada using a glucometer is a controlled act (the breaking the skin part of using it) and it would generally be illegal to do so without physician delegation.