Tattoo question

As a Buddhist for nearly 20 years, we have no taboos against tattoos. In fact, many Southern School (Theravada) Buddhists have religiously significant tattoos and in places like Thailand, Burma, Laos and Cambodia, monks are renowned for their skills as tattoo artists. It is an extreme blessing (and intensely painful one) to be tattooed by a monk. It is not at all uncommon to see monastics with tattoos on their scalps, necks, arms/legs and even faces. Having spent time as a monk at an American monastery, I too take offense at VS's comment. I lived for an extended period of time with men from the aforementioned countries and shared meals, sleeping quarters, religious practice and physical labor with 14 individuals whose culture couldnt be different from my own.

-25 to VS for assuming his superiority in the arena of cultural awareness and sensitivity.

Having lived and worked in the Metro Detroit area, I can call shenanigans on vs' post. Including all the suburbs of Detroit, I think I can claim to have lived in a more 'culturally diverse area' than him.

I'm not trying to make this a pissing contest here, but I for one am getting tired of this self inflated air of superiority that he has.

I think he does things like this to get attention, which for an adult is rather pathetic. I would expect this type of behavior from a 10 year old child.

Since I worked in the suburbs of Detroit as well as Detroit 'proper'...let's look at a couple of the suburb areas (sattelite cities if you will):

Hamtramck: As of the census of 2000, there were 22,976 people, 8,033 households, and 4,851 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,204.3/km² (10,900.5/mi²). There were 8,894 housing units at an average density of 1,627.5/km² (4,219.6/mi²). The racial makeup of the city was 60.96% white (which includes people of Middle Eastern ancestry), 15.12% African American, 0.43% Native American, 10.37% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 1.14% from other races, and 11.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.31% of the population.

Dearborn: Dearborn's population includes 30,000 Arab-Americans, the second largest, and the densest Arab population of any community outside the Middle East. (New York City has nearly 70,000, out of a total population of over 8 million.) Arabs first settled here to work in the automotive industry. In January 2005, a new Arab American National Museum opened as a result of this large concentrated population. The city is also home to the Islamic Center of America, the largest mosque in North America and the Dearborn Mosque, as well as a mosque in the South End that is one of the few places in the US where one can hear the call to prayer over a loudspeaker. Because of the Arab cultural influence on the east side of Dearborn, store signs and billboards written in Arabic are common sights.

-50 to vs for his condescending attitude, and attempts to cause more strife on the forum.

To original poster I am sorry that I tried to give you some extra info to think about.

I am sorry that has led to your post being hijacked. sorry.

I still really advise you consider that tattoos are not looked favorably on by many so if you do get one have it where it will be covered when at work.

My apologies to the original poster. My intent was not to hijack the thread.

I agree with Spenac about the tattoo. If you're going to get one, consider keeping it 'coverable'. This way it won't detract from your professional appearance, and won't scare the snot out of granny and grand dad when you show up!

I am unable to reproduce my sources for this, as I heard, or read it something over 30 years ago, but, supposedly, the real reason sailors started getting tats, was, if they drowned and washed ashore, they would be recognized by their tats. Then, their families could be notified, and proper burials could be then done. Allegedly, this is supposed to date back over 400 years.

My brother lived in Nagasaki for a few years, during the early 1980s. He told me that the Japanese consider tats to be the mark of evil-doers: The Yakusa, the Japanese version of the Mafia.

Don't worry about the hijacking. Atleast I got some answers and what it comes down to is my local areas I am planning on applying too. I just always think second opinions are good.

Thanks for all the help, and I'm glad I can open up this nice (maybe? :P) of a discussion

What are you trying to pick a fight? :twisted: :lol:

You can see how passionate people are for/against tattoos consider that when you make up your mind if and where to get a tat. Oh yea welcome to the site.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.