Tattoo question

We have a government EMS agency in my county as well as six contracted private agencies working with us. The only agency that has a rule against tattoos (or you have to cover it up) is my agency (the government one). The only ones don't care so long as they aren't offensive tattoos. Truely, I feel that it shouldn't matter because an EMT is not made by what is on their skin. It's what they can do to help their patient and their people skills. That's just my thought. It does bother me that if I want a tattoo on my arm I have to think of ways to cover it up now that I'm full-time with an agency that doesn't allow tattoos.

We have a government EMS agency in my county as well as six contracted private agencies working with us. The only agency that has a rule against tattoos (or you have to cover it up) is my agency (the government one). The only ones don't care so long as they aren't offensive tattoos. Truely, I feel that it shouldn't matter because an EMT is not made by what is on their skin. It's what they can do to help their patient and their people skills. That's just my thought. It does bother me that if I want a tattoo on my arm I have to think of ways to cover it up now that I'm full-time with an agency that doesn't allow tattoos.

I understand your statement, but think of grandma. She's anxious, chest pain, etc. In comes paramedic with the grim reaper on his forearm. Do you think that will help the situation? As an EMS professional we have to be able to treat all types of people and many still find tats offensive. Just like many are offended by men with long hair.

Many fast food places even only allow covered tats, 1 earing per ear, hair neat, etc.

I work with a paramedic that with his experience here at the end of nowhere is as good or better than any on this site. But he is allowed to show up with his facial piercings, tats, etc visible. You know what happens they turn to me. They talk to me. They act as if they would prefer him not be there. Yes his ability and education is beyond mine but I choose to look professional.

When I owned my own company I got many projects even though I was the higher bid because myself and my crews always dressed professionally. Some of my rivals actually were better than my company but they sent people out that had exposed tats, etc.

So my advice is don't get a tat but if you do get it where it is easily covered.

Missing the point. The point here is not if tattoos are right or wrong, if people are right or wrong for judging people who wear them, or whether or not they have any bearing on one's skills as an EMT. So before this deteriorates into mindless rants about how people who judge others should get a life, read the OP's original question.

'zilla

• Like 1

Missing the point. The point here is not if tattoos are right or wrong, if people are right or wrong for judging people who wear them, or whether or not they have any bearing on one's skills as an EMT. So before this deteriorates into mindless rants about how people who judge others should get a life, read the OP's original question.

'zilla

Well zilla the OP asked about policy. We gave her more to think about as a tat is a big choice, none of my posts were judgemental. Even many businesses that allow tats have older managers that do not like them and would be less likely to hire or promote someone with them.

It's not a matter of how the person with the tattoo chooses to express themselves. The subject matter of the tattoo is what is important to the individual with it.

The topic is company policy about tattoos, and possibly the 'justification' behind it.

Whether people agree with my tattoo(s) is irrelevant, as is the way I decide to express myself (what's in my tattoo).

Further, examples have been shown here that prove that the geriatric patients would rather deal with an EMT (again, license level doesn't matter) that looks professional, as opposed to one that scares the living hell out of them!

Body art is fine for the clubs, home, and whatever scene or group you want to belong to. It has no place on the job, or in uniform.

We want to be taken seriously as professionals, and have the patient feel comfortable in our skills.

By showing up on a scene with more ink than the Sunday funny papers, or enough metal in our faces to set of metal detectors in 3 contiguous counties at once is NOT the way to inspire confidence in our skills or our professionalism!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.