Too Many Emergency Teams?

Scaramedic

I may be showing my ignorance, but what does ESF stand for?

One possibility is Enough Stupid F..... . But I really don't know. But requiring a numbering system that even those involved don't know just backs my opinion that we have to many of these so called teams. I still feel funds wasted on them would be better used by the local communitys. Properly staffed and equipped communities would be better than what we have today with all these teams.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised that we are even having discussions about who does what without reference to the ESF categories. Here is some information from the FEMA web site:

Emergency Support Function Annexes

1. Transportation

2 .Communications

3. Public Works and Engineering

4. Firefighting

5. Information and Planning

6. Mass Care

7. Resource Support

8. Health and Medical Services

9. Urban Search and Rescue

10. Hazardous Materials

11. Food

12. Energy

Please visit http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/frp/ for the definitions.

The ARC's primary function is under ESF#6, with support to ESFs#5,8 and 11. Although not listed in the matrix, I would presume, based upon training, that CERT provides support on ESFs #6,9 and 11. The OSG informs me that we are ESF#8, but we provide support in other areas based upon special needs, such as special needs shelters in which behavioral, mental or other health needs would need to be addressed.

It does not help us to explain one acronym and through in several more that we do not know. ARC and OMG? I am trying to learn form this thread but assuming we all know these acronyms is not a go start point. Kind of like throwing 10-codes into the discussion.

Sarge

Ladies and Gentlemen:

A reminder from me: Please do not use acronyms, as was just proven here, as what might be common usage in your area, might totally be an unknown thing in mine, and common in mine, a foreign language in a third area. If you must use acronyms, immediately TRANSLATE them, please.

Now, back to the discussion.

I understand that not all EMTs (or dare I say Paramedics) know much about disaster planning. I don't complain about the functions of city fire and EMS because I don't have sufficient knowledge of how they work. I have heard of striking alarms and tiered response but would be hard pressed to argue against the function of any service based upon my knowledge. Likewise, I would encourage those who have concerns about disaster response teams to learn about the systems in place and the functions of each before arguing that we have too many teams.

I am surprised that we are even having discussions about who does what without reference to the ESF categories. Here is some information from the FEMA web site:

1. Transportation

2 .Communications

3. Public Works and Engineering

4. Firefighting

5. Information and Planning

6. Mass Care

7. Resource Support

8. Health and Medical Services

9. Urban Search and Rescue

10. Hazardous Materials

11. Food

12. Energy

I have not seen this particular disaster functions "matrix" organized in this way. I assume that it is not organized by level of importance or priority. If so, to me, it seems a little skewed and out of order.

As for those who advocate explaining or not not using acronyms at all, I agree, though Im often guilty of it myself out of habit. This is a basic NIMS/ICS (see there I just did it :shock:) concept which falls under the category of using "common language

ESF 1 - Transportation

ESF 2 - Communications

ESF 3 - Public Works and Engineering

ESF 4 - Firefighting

ESF 5 - Information and Planning

ESF 6 - Mass Care

ESF 7 - Resource Support

ESF 8 - Health and Medical Services

ESF 9 - Urban Search and Rescue

ESF10 - Hazardous Materials

ESF11 - Food

ESF12 - Energy

There, is that better??

Kevin, thanks for the explanations. Personally, I know jack about the alphabet soup of response teams. In my area things are a little different as we typically know resources by name. In areas like this, it's frustrating to see money given to groups whose need is seemingly based on what if. I think a lot of responsibility relies on the few opportunities you have to respond to an emergency.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.