To all Paramedic Students !!!!!

tskstorm

FROM THE DESK OF:

Jeffery J. Spencer, BS, EMT-P

****Note:I got the general framework of this position piece originally from the Kaplan Medical School Newsletter. It was designed to send a message to the future physicians of the world. When I read it, I saw many similarities to the transition many of our students make in becomming paramedics. Basically I transposed "paramedic student" in the place of "medical student" and "paramedic" in place of "physician." It is my desire that this piece "hits home" with you as much as it did with me. JJS

Tips and Trends: How Paramedic Students are Different from Paramedics

The NYS DOH BEMS and National Registry Exams are intended to certify that students have achieved the competence to be paramedics. This means that are not nesting how good a student you are, but whether or not you can leave being a student behind and step up to being the paramedic you have trained to be.

Doing well on the "end of course" exams requires leaving the perspective of the student behind and moving, mentally into the role of practicing paramedic. Memorizing medical content and protocol, as many students do, is not enough! You must be able to use, apply, and problem-solve with that content, the way great paramedics do.

Paramedics and paramedic students have differnt tasks. Students try to learn and demonstrate their knowledge to their authorities. Paramedics, on the other hane, are assumed to be in charge and are answerable predominently to their medical director and to a jury of their professional peers. The primary task of the student is to answer presented questions. By contrast, the primary task of the paramedic is to know the essential questions to ask and then know how to find the best possible resolution. Paramedics and paramedic students also see the world differently. Here are just a few of the ways to think about these differences:

Paramedic Student --- Paramedic

Tries to memorize EVERYTHING --- Organizes knowledge so it can be used

Knows WHAT is in the book --- Knows WHY something matters

Asks "What?" and "When?" --- Asks "HOW?" and "WHY?"

Treats ALL content knowledge as --- Stratifies content as:

equally important 1 Primary:essential to know

2 Secondary: good to know

3 Tertiary: generally not needed

Wants to have the answer --- Understand what makes an interesting question

Happy when able to say what is right --- Happy when knows the right thing to do

Sits in isolation with content to be learned ---Understands sharing of knowledge with colleagues is essential

Waits to be told what to do --- In charge of what happens

Can quote the book --- Can phrase things in their own words; can explain content to others

Often overwhelmed by the task of learning --- Glad for chance to learn

Fixated on the next test --- Fixated on getting results

Knows WHAT to do --- Knows HOW to do it

Learns what is presented --- Finds knowledge that is required

Is passive, reacive, and awaits direction --- Is active, proactive, and in charge

Which column seems to be the best description of you and your approach?

You are ready to take the "end of course" exams when you can realisitcally leave being a student behind and step up to acting like a paramedic. thinking like a paramedic is an essential first step to becomming one. Students that learn to truly think like a paramedic will soon discover that they are one.

I retyped this but cant seem to make column's so i tried best I could pardon the sloppiness of the columns, PM me with an email and I'll send it in an attachment, if you are having difficulties, basically The two columns are separated by three dashes "---."

The following could be applied to Basic vs Paramedic

Tries to memorize EVERYTHING --- Organizes knowledge so it can be used

Knows WHAT is in the book --- Knows WHY something matters

Asks "What?" and "When?" --- Asks "HOW?" and "WHY?"

Wants to have the answer --- Understand what makes an interesting question

Happy when able to say what is right --- Happy when knows the right thing to do

Sits in isolation with content to be learned ---Understands sharing of knowledge with colleagues is essential

Waits to be told what to do --- In charge of what happens

Can quote the book --- Can phrase things in their own words; can explain content to others

Knows WHAT to do --- Knows HOW to do it

Is passive, reacive, and awaits direction --- Is active, proactive, and in charge

Peace,

Marty

Outstanding points, that could be used for multiple job descriptions. If one was to have this on presented before clinicals and emphasized during professional development, maybe students (and yes Basic EMT's) would understand things better.

p.s. tskstorm I would like to copy this and post in other EMS forums, where many students and Paramedic visit....

R/r 911

Doesn't this topic sort of explain what we have all been beating to death here in the forums over the past week?

I think that it is a perfect analogy of our heated discussions of emt's performing ALS level skills.

Maybe not but I think it is spot on in that regard.

Rid, As long as you keep the credentials to Jeffery J. Spencer (my paramedic program director)

I have no problems with this being shared. This wasn't emailed to us, we were given a paper copy, I took some time to type it up as I thought it would be a great thing to share with all providers.

Ruff, Sometimes an organized formal article like this makes things click more then all the random threads. This article really helped me open my perspectives in class. My hopes was it may make all students become better students and better prepared.

That is what I hope it will do here too.

Open dialogue is my deal.

As a matter of fact I'm participating in a rather major touchy religious discussion with about 10 people who are extremely devout and stubborn in their faith and so far the open dialogue requirements and the No Discounting ground rules are working wonders. I am seeing a lot in our discussion on the religious aspect that I am seeing here. It's been a truly learning experience.

I believe that to have a open dialogue you must begin to be open to others ideas and belief systems.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks Phil..that really helped open my eyes and my mind to the possibility that "memorizing" isnt enough. We as students should always be mindful that, once we leave being a student, can we apply the knowledge, thats been pounded into our heads to remember, smoothly and confidently. Im going to print this off, with the credentials in place, and give it to my program director.

There are alot of medics on this site, that have no problems at all helping students with questions they may have. But on the flip side of that, there are those who wont give students the time of day...its all about learning and sharing information and knowledge.

I dont usually post on here, because someone always has something nasty to say, instead of being decent to others.

Thanks for sharing this Phil....

That was a great post. I have mused to some of my rookies and students that at some point you go from paramedic student to student paramedic, and once they figure out the difference, they'll have moved on to the latter.