EMT PAYSCALE VS PARAMEDIC PAYSCALE

atomic626

1. Just curious, what do emt's make vs paramedics?

2. As a paramedic, what work can you do if any in a actual hospital?

3. I have read about 24 hour shifts available. Does that mean when there is downtime you can sleep at your ambulance station or does it literally mean you have to be awake for 24 hours straight?

Thanks in advance.

EMT = 1982 Toyota Corolla

Paramedic = 1983 Toyota Corolla

It is different per state and per hospital on the duties of ED Paramedics.

Less and less 24 hr shifts, too dangerous. Yes you can sleep, doesn't mean you will though.

Peace,

Marty

You will get no relevant answers to these questions until you tell us exactly where you are. Sorry, but each one of those questions is entirely dependent on where you are and who you work for. There is no "normal" in EMS.

And, of course, each of those three questions are the most over-discussed issues on this forum. Slow down. Find the search function. Take a look around. Fifteen minutes here and you will learn a whole lot.

And welcome!

Well, I live in California, Pasadena. I recently lost my job and my fiance is pregnant.

Best reason in the world to completely forget about EMS as a career, at least for now. Over two years of school to get started. Your kid will be over a year old by then. The pay is horrible and the hours are too. You'll miss a lot of family time. Then another two years at a minimum to do nursing school. And once you finish nursing school (actually, most medics who try never finish nursing school), you'll seriously kick yourself for having wasted any time on EMT and paramedic school, which is not the least bit helpful to your nursing pursuit. Especially if your marriage ended because of it, which is pretty common.

Sounds like you need a job, any job paying better than minimum wage, and quickly, not in two years. Do that and get through this kid thing first. Then pick either EMS or nursing and focuse entirely on whichever you choose. Going back and doing EMS after nursing is smart. Going back and doing nursing after EMS -- when you were told ahead of time not to -- is stupid, and a self-destructive recipe for failure. Don't sabotage yourself from the get-go.

And I have no idea what an "ROP class" is.

What Dust has said is true. From those of us that have been there and done that. Unless, you like working >100 hrs a week at minimum wage type salaries, with little to no benefits. Sure, one can find some better pay, but in comparison you won't be making much more than the kid at Wendy's drive thru.

You need to ask yourself why a health career? Then if you really feel it is the thing to do, considering nursing it takes about 2 yrs prerequisites and another to get in. Being an EMT does NOT ensure you any better qualifications to promote in nursing as well, actually could be quite the opposite.

Many see flashy ads of those 'medic to RN" per on-line courses. Very few ever make it through them, then many states are now no longer honoring their education, so they cannot obtain a license...

There are many EMT programs out there that will flash produce an EMT in a few weeks. Unfortunately, there are several thousands of unemployed EMT's... even those that will work for free. So, one can see the dilemma...

Like Dust described, attempt to find a real job with benefits until you are able to be stable and investigate what you would like to do.

Good luck in the future!

R/r 911

Was just curious of the difference from emt to paramedic payscale. I'm still going to do it. I am doing it because I have been in the insurance industry for a long time and want a change. I had been contemplating on helping homeless shelters and still will try and volunteer my time, but I want to do this because I like helping people. Kinda like I guess why some people will become teachers. I don't mind doing overtime to make up for the lack of pay as I want to do this. But, I will at least go to paramedic school after and consider making this career.

But I am thankful for everyones input thus far. All the information is good. And I'm really happy everyone has given input. But I know that I want to do this. I really want to help people out there.

I'll at least answer your question.

I work for a nation wide private ambulance service, Rural Metro.

EMT-I 32K

EMT-P 53K

Mostly 12 hour shifts, switching over to 24 hours in the coming months. Working 911 you may get down time, working non emergency we got very little down time in the 24 hours.

Was just curious of the difference from emt to paramedic payscale. I'm still going to do it. I am doing it because I have been in the insurance industry for a long time and want a change. I had been contemplating on helping homeless shelters and still will try and volunteer my time, but I want to do this because I like helping people. Kinda like I guess why some people will become teachers. I don't mind doing overtime to make up for the lack of pay as I want to do this. But, I will at least go to paramedic school after and consider making this career.

But I am thankful for everyones input thus far. All the information is good. And I'm really happy everyone has given input. But I know that I want to do this. I really want to help people out there.

Wanting to help people is wonderful but it does not put food on the table.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.