EMS/Law enforcement?

Hey Shane,

I'm currently the LT in my post and I have very similar interests to you. While I'm not sure yet if I'll go all the way to paramedic, I hope to be a police officer and an EMT-I. My town doesn't have a fire/EMS explorer post so I just waited until I was old enough (now) to get my basic, but I'm willing to bet EMS explorers will be good for you

-Parker

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We currently have a PD officer here who is training as an EMTB. It works great since he's learning what to do in the EMS area. He's able to report what's going on on scene better than some of the other PD and SO in the area. He's also able to help us if we need an extra back. (There have been times when we've only had one person from the EMS show up on a call and PD has had to drive.)

Shane--- I would be curious to ask how your leaders work recruiting for your Explorer posts. I'm a BSA leader for the Venturing crew here, and it's currently in serious trouble because of the previous leader not wanting to recruit. Any advice from you or your leaders?

(Hope you don't mind my thread jacking. lol)

Anyone know how many actual patients a tactical medic will see in a 20 year career at a BUSY agency? I can't imagine that many officers are shot per agency....maybe some heat stroke or cardiac problems following training...

I know my interest is heavy in both, so that wouldn't really fulfill my interest. But it might be something good to do after some years working the streets in an ambulance for a number of years.

Have you thought about becoming a tactical medic? Some sherriff depts have them, it may fulfull your need for both.

But probably not. You'll never do either. You'll never have a medical patient, and you'll have a tactical callout about once a year. That doesn't fulfill many needs.

I am glad to see you have a Love for both. I do as well. At some point though, you will need to pick one of those as your Full-Time profession. I have yet to see a Full-Time Police Officer AND a Full-Time Paramedic being one in the same person. It just doesn't work due to scheduling conflicts and other things. You will end up doing one Part-Time, and even then you will favor one over the other. So my advice would be to think about all this in advance and pick one to go to school for. Being in Explorer programs is a GREAT way to start. Started off that way myself in a Law Enforcement Explorer Program. That is what an "Explorer" program is all about "Exploring". So keep "Exploring" until you gravitate towards one or the other. If you never gravitate towards one I guess you can try both, although you may find out that you wasted your time with one. Good luck either way!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.