Conflict on Dual Medic Units

Dustdevil

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I take the above to be a personal attack. An attack on what I've chosen to do for the last 16 years (with pride), and wether or not I'm good at what I do. It was completely uncalled for and un-necessary.

How can I not take that as an insult???

Because it's simply someone's opinion. I wouldn't waste my time getting so worried about what someone on the internet thinks of me, or my career decision. You have your opinion that you're doing the right thing by starting IV's to keep a nurse from asking questions; someone else has the opinion that maybe EMS wasn't the best career for you. In the end, who really cares what they think? But looking at the comment a little deeper, it's merely an observation. It's not saying that you're a bad paramedic. Or that you're a bad person.

Why do people take the internet, and public forums so seriously anyway? I don't get it. I'll end this with if you want to stick around and contribute, great. If not, that's fine too. If you choose to stick around and simply read, but not post; I won't know the difference. I won't lose any sleep over it either way...and I already know I'll stick around and continue to post. But please, don't take the internet so seriously. While I may not agree with your rationale for patient care...you don't have to justify yourself to me, or anyone else here. Good luck in your endeavors.

Shane

NREMT-P

Does anyone really remember what this thread is about. There are so many different roads that this has gone down we need a Garmin to figure it out.

The idea that running with a dual Paramedic system, is ultimately better than a Paramedic and an EMT. Any idea that tries to advocate a benefit to a Paramedic/EMT system over a Paramedic/Paramedic system is simply justifying a less than optimum system to get by less expensively.

:D

-Paradude-

A reminder, people.

If a posting is answered with "I believe you to be wrong because of the following specifics", and then lists them, it is one thing.

However, if the response is "I believe you to be wrong because you are the south end of a northbound horse," that is counterproductive, unwarranted, and simply mean!

Let's try to keep it civil, and professional.

Hey, I have been wrong, and actually saw wherein lay my errors when they were pointed out to me, but an outright attack, I'll remember the attack, not the lesson.

I work in both types of systems, personally I could care less either way. The dual medic system is nice when you have a critical patient because things usually go better and get done without asking. This is not always true and I have had many EMT partners that I work well with in the same way. In my own personal opinion dual medic trucks allow for weaker providers because a poor medic has someone to lean on all the time, someone else to perform their skills for them if needed and someone to help assess the patient if they are clueless.......but this can be good too in extreme cases.

I feel that EMT's who work on ALS trucks with a paramedic partner make better paramedics and do much better. This is only from my personel experience and could be different in other systems. My personel opinion is that some of the "paramedics" that favor only dual medic trucks running 911 are only beating their chest like baffoons to stroke thier own ego's. Every system is different and no one solution will work for everybody.

Seems to me that you are looking at all of this completely backwards.

In my own personal opinion dual medic trucks allow for weaker providers because a poor medic has someone to lean on all the time, someone else to perform their skills for them if needed and someone to help assess the patient if they are clueless...

The way I see it, dual medic trucks allow for STRONGER providers because a poor medic has somebody to LEARN from all the time, someone else to help them with their skills if needed, and someone to encourage them through their assessments until they improve.

So what is your alternative? For weak providers to have an EMT partner that can provide none of those things for them? For them to stay weak, poor providers? To just hope that the system eventually weeds them out, rather than helping them grow? I just don't see how that is an option, much less a good one.

I feel that EMT's who work on ALS trucks with a paramedic partner make better paramedics and do much better. This is only from my personel experience and could be different in other systems.

No, you're correct there. It is usually (certainly not always) a positive thing for an EMT to have first hand exposure to the big picture, so they can see how little they really know, and how far they have to go before they are a medical professional. But it is definitely not necessary. In fact, if the EMT level disappeared, as it should, it would no longer even be a factor. If there were no more EMT's, we would no longer be encumbered by the responsibility of babysitting them, and they could come right out of school already understanding the big picture.

My personel opinion is that some of the "paramedics" that favor only dual medic trucks running 911 are only beating their chest like baffoons to stroke thier own ego's.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Beat their chests to whom? Their paramedic partner? How does that work when your partner is your equal? How do you beat your chest and impress somebody who is no less qualified than yourself? The answer is, you don't. Take away the imbalance of power, and you take away the conflict. That's the whole point of this topic.

Every system is different and no one solution will work for everybody.

Oh, it will work for everybody. It just won't make everybody happy. And the reason we are getting nowhere is because too many people are worried about making everybody happy.