Conflict on Dual Medic Units

Dustdevil

Rid, do me a favor, stay in the ER, every nurse that I have had contact with, would look at me like I have 3 heads if I asked them to dart a chest, or place a needle in someone's throat, or even intubate. Nurses have no clue, and never will understand what we do as medics out in the field. Never, have I ran into the problem of a nurse questioning my rx's in the field. They are always too scared to ask, because they are usually CLUELESS!!!! You might be the exception, but I am sure you were a paramedic first.

LMAO! :lol:

It's always so amusing to listen to somebody who has zero clue about nursing education start mouthing off about what nurses know and their capabilities. You wanna know what nurses know, Fireboy? They know what you SHOULD have known long before somebody put a "dart" in your hands. They know what you don't have the professional motivation to ever learn, which is why you will never complete that degree. They know why the patient is having abdominal pain, not just that he gets IV, O[sub:cc2fdd79f0]2[/sub:cc2fdd79f0], and transport. They know why the patient's sugar is high or low, not just what meter reading to give D50 at. Ever notice what a large percentage of the physiological questions asked here are answered by the small percentage of nurses here? Figure it out, because that is a "skill" you will never have.

Are you really so naive as to believe any RN couldn't be taught to stick a dart just as quickly and easily as you were taught? If that were so, there would be no flight nurses, genius. I teach chest TUBES (not "darts") to 19 year old Navy Corpsmen who aren't even paramedics everyday. By your ill-logic, that makes them better then you! There is nothing hard about it at all, and it takes even a lowly firemonky less than a day to learn it. Big deal. Pick up a copy of "Techniques In Clinical Nursing" and see how many "skills" those nurses (even LVNs) are doing that you wouldn't have the slightest clue about. I don't think you can count that high. You think the small handful of technical skills you learned makes you something special? Puhleeze. You're only kidding yourself. Take away your spiffy uniform and your siren and you are nothing. The rest of the medical world is laughing at you.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rid, do me a favor, stay in the ER, every nurse that I have had contact with, would look at me like I have 3 heads if I asked them to dart a chest, or place a needle in someone's throat, or even intubate. Nurses have no clue, and never will understand what we do as medics out in the field. Never, have I ran into the problem of a nurse questioning my rx's in the field. They are always too scared to ask, because they are usually CLUELESS!!!! You might be the exception, but I am sure you were a paramedic first.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but why would you put a needle in someone's throat? Are you referring to a needle cric? A procedure out of favor for more than a decade? Get with the time's man. "Dart"? That's a British pub sport, not something you do to a patient. Besides, as previously stated, a chest tube is the appropriate intervention. Either do it right, or get the pt. to someone who will. Perhaps the reason the nurses are looking at you "with three heads" is because of your piss poor attitude and inability to even properly describe the apprpriate "cool" advanced treatments. Needle in the throat and "dart". Ha, that just made my day.

Don't come in her i with a firemonkey attitude and make a VERY poor attempt at disrespecting a very valued member of this community. Go roll some 5" instead...................

I had am experience with my partner once, he was a basic at the time just starting paramedic school. Now, I had the same instructor and on the very first day in class the instructor tells you that you will learn more by first hand experience and maybe 50% from the material. Anyway we was on a scene of a spinal injury involving an elderly female with gross curvature of the spine. Well my basic partner was arguing with the patient that " ma'am you have to lay on your back." At this point the pt. became my pt. After padding this lady and trying to do damage control to ease this lady, no she was not on her back, my partner was furious. I told him we would discuss it after transport. Once the report was given he came up to me yelling about second guessing his pt. He even went as far as to call the supervisor to complain. I let him rant and rave the whole trip to HQ. when we got there the super met us at the truck to replace my partner with another and sent him to the instructor to study the book way and the logical way to handle spinal injuries. And a very quick lesson on " how the Medic is your supervisor and to follow instructions" Since then he has left the industry and is working construction somewhere, we think.

Dust, this well respected person, (NOT), in this little egotistical community is just another toolbag, that just because he has a few letters behind his name thinks he his god!! You impress me nill with your ability to cut a slit into someones side to place a tube. Who the heck cant be taught that!!! You are nothing special, skills are for monkeys like yourself, knowlege is power, and you impress me NILL with that also. Most flight nurses did not and will not ever go through a paramedic program, no they go through a 3 month cheezy class and call themselves a paramedic!! I will be done my nursing education very soon, something that the Marines paid for, don't worry, you will never earn that title!! And for all those firemedics out there, kudos for having the brains and the balls for doing what you do, something YOU will never have Dust, BALLS!! Keep being a puppet in the nice safe ER!!! When the medics out in the field need a bed pan, I am sure you will come running!! Enjoy, street skirt!!!!!

Flight IP:To answer your question, yes, you are dumb!! Let me educate you, incase you were not aware, you must place a 14g needle into a pt's crycothyroid membrane, (that is the part with the THROAT), aspirate air, intubate the 10 cc syring, and ventilate it around 16 times a minute, if you cant get a patent airway due to massive facial trauma, all failed intubation attemts, or the inablility to reach the pt to perform intubation, and of course they probably should be almost dead. I know because you fly, you probably do not get to do alot of skills, because the medics on the ground usually have it done for you. Infact, I believe the only difference between you and I......are 1) parylitics, and 2) speed.

Get back on the rig for a while, get your skills back, and then come and argue with me!!!

Why would you want to do a needle cric when a surgical cric is easier and faster to obtain a definitive airway? I think that's what Flightlp was referring to. I'm sure he is aware of what a needle cric is.

But thanks for the review.

A surgical airway is NOT easier nor is it faster, there is a high chance of bleeding into the trachea, and a whole plethora of other reasons that should NOT be performed unless 1) if a doctor is doing it in the field, or 2) a doctor says you can do it in the field. That is a skill that you and your command doc must sit face to face, and you must practice in front of him/her numerous times before he/she says yes. Then you must get past your regional ems office. In no state that I know of, you can perform that skill. If we cant do it as NREMT-P's than you CANT do it in the US.

Firefighter523 your an ass, typical jughead firemonkey with just enough skills to kill a patient.

You come to this forum thumping your chest and exclaiming your greatness. You use childlike medical terms, "dart" please!! Insulting Rid and Dust is equivalent to forum suicide on these boards. I have more respect for Rid and Dust's opinions than anything you have posted, even when I disagree with them.

As far as Nurses and Nursing Education goes I'll just say this. I have learned more in the three terms of just the pre-requisites for Nursing than I ever did in Paramedic school. Paramedics are trained to be reactionary, we see a problem and we react to it. We are not educated in the causes, the definitive treatment, the prevention, the consequences of treatment, or the care outside of the 20 minutes we have the patient. I love being a Paramedic but I have never believed I was definitive care. I never let my ego inflate to the size I actually believe I was superior to Nurses in any way.

When I see someone blow their horn as much as you I questions their credentials. Your answers to many medical issues could be garnered by reading old Paramedics text while sitting around your Volley station waiting for a cool call. With the advent of new surgical cric devices I have to say your "darting" technique seems kind of dated. Why don't you get an updated Paramedic text, maybe one from 1992.

So instead of insulting well respected people on this forum why don't you move over to a Fire forum. Or maybe they saw through your bullsh*t and already banned you there. Either way don't start a pissing match you can't win.

Peace,

Marty