In Your Opinion, What Is Holding USA EMS Back?

spenac

hint to WANTYNU, I believe Vent is very familiar with degrees and college, university requirements. She holds a degree in EMS as well graduate degree in cardiopulmonary studies, so in comparison to knowledge of educational systems, I believe she holds quite a bit of knowledge.

R/r 911

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hint to WANTYNU, I believe Vent is very familiar with degrees and college, university requirements. She holds a degree in EMS as well graduate degree in cardiopulmonary studies, so in comparison to knowledge of educational systems, I believe she holds quite a bit of knowledge.

R/r 911

So you mean the year I spent as a neurosurgical assistant at the Bronx VA hospital NY , my studies in undergraduate medical science, with subsequent Bachelors Degree and advanced Degree in computer science were wasted?

Bummer.

-w

You will never find I don’t argue …

Of course I did a sterling job of demonstrating my education with that sentence…

-w

So you mean the year I spent as a neurosurgical assistant at the Bronx VA hospital NY , my studies in undergraduate medical science, with subsequent Bachelors Degree and advanced Degree in computer science were wasted?

Wow a brain surgeon, kind of. :wink:

Wow a brain surgeon, kind of. :wink:

Yea, it was in the early 80’s, worked in a lab that experimented on primates mostly, (I WISH I only entered data...) I’m not proud of it, pretty much the reason I didn’t push on to med school. Did help create a special drill that saved a guys life, still not worth what went on in the labs. After all that, funny where I am now.

Payment for sins of the past.

-w

So it would seem based on recent discussions here is top 3 for what is holding back EMS.

1. Money

2. Education

3. Nobody can even agree to disagree

Spenac first thank you for starting this thread, it is so important to put this issue on the table and open it up.

I see it in a slightly different order with one more item:

1. Nobody can even agree to disagree

2. Education

3. Money

4. ACTIVE / INVOLVED GOVERNMENT Representation

All items are important, but in my view, one leads to improve the next.

Thanks again for starting a GREAT thread!

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

Spenac first thank you for starting this thread, it is so important to put this issue on the table and open it up.

I see it in a slightly different order with one more item:

1. Nobody can even agree to disagree

2. Education

3. Money

4. ACTIVE / INVOLVED GOVERNMENT Representation

All items are important, but in my view, one leads to improve the next.

Thanks again for starting a GREAT thread!

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

Thanks. Like the addition you made but will disagree with order. :wink:

Those are indeed the big factors. But I think there is a more important, deeper factor that takes precedence; that is people.

EMS is people. And the quality of the people that predominate EMS ranks frankly sucks. They're selfish. They're less than intelligent. They're less than mature. They're undereducated (prior to EMS training). They're undermotivated. They lack vision for both the past and the future. They lack commitment. They lack options in life.

Sure, more money and educational requirements could significantly improve the quality of candidates we see. No doubt. But the nature of our business is still going to be a magnet for the lowest common denominator, and administrators will continue to hire them because they're cheaper and less threatening.

So really, the biggest thing holding us back is leadership. We have none. And we have no prospects for leadership either.

Uncomprehending when they have heard, they are like the deaf. The saying describes them: though present they are absent.

Heraclitus

Don't be so hard Dust, through open forum, enlightenment can be achieved.

-w

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.