9/11

Other questions that were asked...What is Britney Spears' ex-husbands name?

I couldn't tell you that. But I do know she shaves and has a really gnarly c-section scar. :D

The only reason I even know who Angelina Jolie is is because her uncle is a friend of mine. :lol:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work for the FDNY EMS. We of the EMS were shocked when the Fire Fighters included us in the much bandied-about number (343) of departmental personnel killed at the World Trade Center.

I'll break it down: 340 Fire Fighters and fire supervisory personnel, from probies to the Chief of Department, Father Mike Judge, of the department's Chaplain Corps, and Paramedics Carlos Lillo and Ricardo Quinn (Quinn was phostumously promoted to Lieutenant).

This September 11th, while standing in the waiting room at the FDNY headquarters' Bureau of Health Services, where I'm doing light duty, holding a salute-at-attention position as the 3 buglers sounded "Taps" after the reading of the WTC dead, I started crying.

Due to a medical condition, I was unable to respond to the Trade Center that day in 2001. I actually only knew 4 of the dead, an EMT named Mark Schwartz, from the Hunter Ambulance Service (Inwood, New York), a member of my political club, Father Judge, whom I had met the previous Ash Wednesday and Carlos.

Carlos was from my EMS Academy Class, "New Employee Orientation Program 85-02".

Figure now, each Fire Fighter who was working back then, probably knew at least 10 fire fighters killed, and probably more. Then-Fire Commissioner Thomas Von Etton, who had previously been the President of the Uniformed Fire Fighters Association, probably knew each of the 340, and Father Judge, of course.

VaREMS1, I have never used this forum to tell someone off, but your comments really went too far, and I feel I must. You should leave the EMS field, as to do this job, one must have some compassion, and your comment of "people use it as an excuse to come together and shed tears", was totally without compassion. We still have people being medically affected, from having breathed the contaminated dust, causing the myriad breathing disorders generically called "WTC Cough". We believed the mayor and the head of the Environmental Protection Agency, when they were disseminating incorrect information that the air was "safe", when it was definitively not. I am still going to funeral homes for friends and associates, so we are still getting together to cry.

One of my friends is the owner of a restaurant. He is a retired fire fighter, who was so glad his son decided to become a CPA, instead of a fire fighter. The son died at his desk, at Cantor-Fitzgerald. Are you going to tell him to stop mourning his son, or his fire fighter "brethren"?

We are taught in our EMT classes, here in New York State, that people grieve each in their own ways. There is no time limit for grief. One individual, on losing a family member or close friend, will be all right after 10 days, another won't be "better" for 10 years, or longer. Some of that is personal, others, by background, and some, both.

I agree with you about it being a pity that people in the streets don't remember when the attack on America happened, but can tell you the most intimate detail of a fading "rock star's" life.

On behalf of the people at Cantor-Fitzgerald, Windows On the World, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the New York State Court Officers, the New York (city) Police Department, the Fire Department of New York (city), the Secret Service, businesses at the WTC, other fire fighters from other departments, other EMTs from different departments/Corps/companies/agencies, let me invite you to, if you ever travel to New York City, refrain from making such statements as "If I hear someone mention 'Nine-Eleven' again, I'm going to blow up the world." I don't condone violence, but, with you making statements like that, I would never stand in the way of other locals throwing you a blanket party as means of correcting your thinking.

While I don't think your post in anyway makes you less qualified to be in EMS, since compassion can be given out discriminately based on situation, I do think it's a good enough reason to get together just to mourn/feel emotions/bond.

The physical acts are just physical acts, the date is just a date, even exact number dead is just a number, and doesn't mean much without the effects of the them, which in our case was mainly emotional (with good reason).

THOUGH, I still understand what you're saying...I personally don't get into the whole "We Will Never Forget" thing, b/c everyone started clinging way too soon after the attack to that semi-vindictive slogan, instead of concentrating on grief and political meaning of events, almost a defensive mechanism.

BUT it's not fair to judge people based on whether they remember dates if that's not what they value...they probably couldn't remember the date Britney married that guy, either. As military/public service/medical personnel, we place more value on facts/dates, etc.

Got any ideas on how we can change that?

Take EMS out of the fire station. Yes this has been discussed to death, but that's the obvious answer. If we want recognition, why not a huge PR rush. TV ads, demonstrations. You might think various state agencys' and the NREMT would do something of the sort. I think this would be great for EMS.

You might think various state agencys' and the NREMT would do something of the sort. I think this would be great for EMS.

You would think so, wouldn't you? It only stands to reason that the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians would be at the forefront of promoting the profession, as well as the various state associations and societies. But the truth is, I have yet to find a one that gets it. They all try so hard to be all-inclusive of the firemonkeys and volunteers that their purpose gets totally lost. There is not always strength in numbers. Sometimes the numbers only serve to dilute your message. That is what has happened with the NAEMT. And unless they ever decide to devote themselves to the advancement of the profession -- instead of just being a good ol' boys club -- they will never achieve anything of value for us. It simply will not ever happen.

NAEMT is actually a very good representation of the state of EMS itself. Totally disjointed and un-unified with no focus, no vision, and no chance of ever growing into something valuable without completely re-inventing itself.

New York City fire, runs New York City EMS, thats why you don't hear about the EMS response. When you see ambulances going down the street with FDNY on them, the general public is not going to think "There goes our wonderful EMS!"

On 9/11 as a whole, it was the first large scale attack on our country in over 60 years. Did some people take it too far? Yes. Did some people commercialize it too much? Yes. Does that make the pain any easier on Richards brothers and sisters? No. Does it make the pain any easier on any of the friends and relatives of the people that died that day? No.

You have to filter out what is happening for the wrong reasons. Does the average teeny-bopper from Wisconsin that thinks "Patriot Day" should be a day off of school have the right idea in her mind? Probably not. Does the school teacher who lost his wife who worked on the 98th floor have the right meaning when he takes a personal day every 9/11? Most likely.

I did not know one person that was directly affected on 9/11/01. I however do take a moment every year, to recall the events of the day, and to remember the victims. Does that make me a sensationalist? I would like to think not. We have to remember our history, to make our future. I have vivid memories from that day. You can not tell me it did not leave an impression. I have a hard time believing that someone 1500 miles away with no direct connection, can suffer PTSD from it, but I know you can still have the memories.

America changed that day, it is not just a saying. It really did. Like it or not, it will always be in our vocabulary. Just turn your filters on. Separate the reality, from the bull ca ca.

I in no way wish to throw more fuel on the fire. There have been a few very passionate posts on this topic. I for one will always remember 9/11. I have the "cheesy" bumper sticker and patches (thanks for that colorful description by the way.). I was personally impacted by this act of war. Even if I hadn't known people who died in the Pentagon, or narrowly escaped from the WTC, I still would take this very personally. My country was attacked!! Innocent people, people just trying to live their lives, were massacred! How can you not want to honor them? How can you not want to remember, so that you can appreciate the sacrifices our soldiers are making for us?

It seems to me that you have to be extremely shallow or heartless to not remember.

With that said, there is an amazing laser show that was done with God Bless the USA accompanying it on myspace. The link is GOD Bless the USA, remembering 9/11

We have to be strong emotionally, intellectually and physically to do our jobs. That strength is what allows us to have compassion for our patients and their families. It is also what gets us up in the morning to do our jobs. If you are in EMS for just the paycheck, you are more than encouraged to leave! The pay sucks, the hours sucks and usually the food sucks! But hey, what other job out there can you deliver a baby while lying on the ceiling of a car that rolled, because you can't extricate the mother yet? Where else can you impact someone's life during probably the absolute worst moment they have experienced? The secret is that most of us would do this even if there was no paycheck. EMS is not "just a job," it is a calling!

Be safe out there!

Be Blessed!

EMS Heroes

The secret is that most of us would do this even if there was no paycheck. EMS is not "just a job," it is a calling!

:roll:

Wrong

Its a profession

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.