9/11

Richard, I in no way meant to come across as unfeeling, or to insinuate that 9/11 does not deserve our remembrance, or our tears/prayers. ... I in no way meant to take away from the seriousness of the situation, or say that it wasn't worthy of bereavment. (Did I use that word Correctly?) ... I'm probably too cynical, but I feel too much $$$ has been made at the expense of the victims, their families, and this nation as a whole. ... FYI: I lost a dear friend on that day in one of the towers. I cried then, and I still do sometimes. ... Don't say I need to leave this profession until you know me a little better. Until then, you're not qualified to do so. I have a tendency to say what I think, and/or feel, at any given time. Sometimes it'll come across as sounding Effed up. For this, I apologize. Again, I didn't mean to upset you, or make light of the tragedy that has affected so many of us. I hope you can understand this. ... One last thing, in case this is an issue. My signature, "Darth Whacker, Dark Lord of the Vollies". Do not let this mislead you. I'm a 17 year veteran of EMS. Yes, I started out as a vollie...and I'm still one today on occasion...but I'm also career, and have been for the last 13 years. When the volunteer crews close down, then I'll stop volunteering. However, I'm not going to quit just because I feel career/paid is needed over vollies. I made that forum signature on a whim. I don't consider myself to be some paragod, or super vollie medic. Far from it. I do, however, know myself to be the one that will do anything in the world for my patient, short of compromising my own safety, whether I'm in my duty rig, or in the back of a vollie rig.

Be Safe.

With what you wrote as explanation (edited down for space consideration in this response posting) I accept your apology, and issue one of my own. Yes, I don't know you, and it was unfair of me to make such across the board accusation and insinuation.

I am unsure as to how to react to the "commercialization" of 9-11. My local historians never mentioned any commercialization of Pearl Harbor, just people starting "victory gardens" and getting ration tickets for certain items, as well as doing a lot of things to support the war effort. My own mother says, before she volunteered for the WACs, she picked vegetables as a support to the war effort. Also, if you have family still alive from that era, ask them about "Rosie the Riveter", women taking traditionally male employee work to allow the men to join the military. My father, who was classified as "4F," still joined the army, ending up as a "T4" sargent.

Yes, we are in a different era now than the US was in, back in the 1940s.

I mention now, that being both a volunteer and a paid EMS member will never be an issue with me, as I was with the Peninsula Volunteer Ambulance Corps (Rockaway Beach, New York) from it's inception in 1973 to it's demise in 1997, overlapping a series of 5 private, non 9-1-1 ambulance service providers from 1975 to 1985, and municipal EMS with the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS from 1985, to the merger of EMS into the FDNY in 1996, through to today. I also maintain membership as an individual in the New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association, for purposes of some additional training through them (I was a delegate from PVAC to the NYSVARA's District 4 for several years, as Peninsula VAC was a member-squad to NYSVARA).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have been catching a lot of flack for saying EMS is a "calling." I know it is an over used word, but how can you not define a career choice (into any profession) that is motivated by passion and a stirring in your gut to not be a calling? Whatever rocks your socks should be what you do for a living! If it is under-water basket weaving, then find a way to make a living at it. Life is way too short to take a job just because it pays your bills. If you are not doing what God created you to do, then you have missed exactly what you were supposed to find! That is why I used the word "calling." While each one of us was being created, God put a desire, a higher purpose, into each one of our hearts and psyches. So, if you all want to through more mud balls, go for it. At least I am doing what I am most passionate about. I will not have any regrets, wondering about "should have" and "could haves."

Rob, you got sand between ur toes again? :lol:

I know, I know...it's a vicious circle, which came first, the chicken or the egg? One might say, I had that statement backwards, right? I'm not going to contest that, because you're correct.

Where I volunteer at, is part paid (day shift). Days are alot busier than nights, and I volunteer on the occasional night shift. They're looking to add another paid crew, possibly for nights? I see it happening like this: In the not so distant future, our ambulances will be 100% staffed by paid crews, while the volunteers will handle 1st response, as well as technical rescue, such as VehExt, High Angle, Confined Space, etc. SAR also. Quite honestly, I think that'd be ideal for the organization, and I'm looking forward to helping them move in that direction.

I like debating/discussing issues with you, you're a fount of knowledge, and information, and a well read, and well spoken individual to boot. If some of the other folks on here, who get so up-in-arms over proprietary issues, would realize that, instead of allowing their delicate sensibilities to be so easily offended over issues that aren't worth crying over, they'd come away from this board with alot more than they arrived with. (Did that make sense?)

That goes for several others on here as well. I've had heated discussions with others, such as Asysin2, and AK, to name a couple. Smart, dedicated folks. I know that it's not personal, just business. Not everybody's going to agree 100% of the time.

As far as volunteers go...in areas like mine, which is rampant with volunteerism, I feel that if you try to ram Career EMS down their throats, they're going to throw up on you. It has to be spoon-fed, slowly, with time to digest. Only then, I feel, will it work.

It WILL happen.

Richard...it's possible we may have met...or not.

I visited a Rockaway EMS agency once, while I was dating a lady from that area, right after getting out of the Navy. The guys showed me around, not because I was applying, but because I wanted to see how things compared to VA. It was blatant curiosity. I was a first aid & CPR instructor in Manahttan, as well as being an out-of-state medic. I had given thought to applying to NYC*EMS, but by then it was FDNY*EMS, and I still would have had to attend the EMS academy...my certification wouldn't have reciprocated, so I was told.

My time in NYC was from summer '97 through summer '98. I also visited with one Queens FDNY crew, and a couple of Manhattan FDNY crews, as well as Rescue1, which was...different.

Be Safe

That is definitely not a secret. In fact, it is such common knowledge that the public uses it against us come budget time. It is the number one reason why we are not yet -- and possibly never will be -- a true profession.

Only because of the badges, sirens, and Dairy Queen discounts. If it weren't for that, it would be neither a job nor a calling. It would be a profession, just like every other medical service provider on earth.

Dust is correct again.

Richard...it's possible we may have met...or not.

I visited a Rockaway EMS agency once, while I was dating a lady from that area, right after getting out of the Navy. The guys showed me around, not because I was applying, but because I wanted to see how things compared to VA.

What was the name of the lady? If she was a Peninsula VAC member, I might be able to confirm, or deny, if we have met or not.

I was Peninsula VAC, which is now gone, but we still have the Roxbury VFD/VAS, the Rockaway Point VFD/VAS, and the Point Breeze (AKA Breezy Point) VFD. A little further north into Queens, we have the Broad Channel VFD/VAS, and a bit further north of them, the West Hamilton Beach VFD/VAS. In Brooklyn, we also have the Gerritsen Beach VFD/VAS. I am only mentioning VFD based units here, but in Brooklyn and Queens, we still have about 30 VAS, that are not VFD based.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.