9/11

:roll:

Wrong

Its a profession

It is an unorganised profession here in the states. Otherwise we could have done sadly what Fire and Law did, used it to get more recognition and funds. Not the best way to go about it but effective. Before you rip me a new one I am not disrespecting anyone, I to lost a friend there that day, I am just stating a fact. Out of this disaster came tons of funds for FF and LE. The fire dept I was with received lots of funds and we were in the middle of nowhere. I am just saying had we been organised we could have used that time to honor those of our profession while also improving things for all of us.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything that offers a paycheck is a profession by definition. If you choose your career by what you can gain, then by all means look at it as strictly a "profession." If you are doing the work that you were created to do, the work that allows you to find that extra bit of value and worth within yourself (not your entire worth and value), work that affords you the opportunity to make a positive impact in this world....THAT is a CALLING, not a mere profession!

I agree here. Also when i go on like cafepress.com to look for EMT stuff it always comes up with more police stuff. I think we are the one that get up at night and get out the ambulance to save someones life that has a general illness, etc. I mean firefighter are important too but we need to get recognized a little more

Anything that offers a paycheck is a profession by definition. If you choose your career by what you can gain, then by all means look at it as strictly a "profession." If you are doing the work that you were created to do, the work that allows you to find that extra bit of value and worth within yourself (not your entire worth and value), work that affords you the opportunity to make a positive impact in this world....THAT is a CALLING, not a mere profession!

ah crap, here it comes. :roll:

I agree here. Also when i go on like cafepress.com to look for EMT stuff it always comes up with more police stuff. I think we are the one that get up at night and get out the ambulance to save someones life that has a general illness, etc. I mean firefighter are important too but we need to get recognized a little more

:?

Ok, here goes...

Richard, I in no way meant to come across as unfeeling, or to insinuate that 9/11 does not deserve our remembrance, or our tears/prayers. Yes, it was a tragedy. I'm truly sorry that you lost co-workers and/or friends on that terrible day. I in no way meant to take away from the seriousness of the situation, or say that it wasn't worthy of bereavment. (Did I use that word correctly?)

What I meant was, as someone else mentioned I think, the commercialization. It's sickening. "Never forget". Like anyone, especially Law Enforcement, FD, or EMS could possibly forget that day. 9/11 has been exploited to death, no pun intended at all.

I'm tired of the movies & TV shows centered around 9/11. Did the productions companies that made them do it free of charge? I doubt it. I could be wrong...if I am, please enlighten me. If they did, awesome. I'm probably too cynical, but I feel too much $$$ has been made at the expense of the victims, their families, and this nation as a whole.

That's what I'm angry about. That's what has me "up in arms".

As far as me needing to leave EMS...I'll say this. When I'm in the back of an ambulance, caring for a patient...no one in the world cares more than I do. When I delivered 2 babies, no one cared more than I did. When I work with my fellow providers, and hold study groups for EMS providers who want to advance their training & education, NO ONE cares more than I do. When I go before the county Board of Supervisors, hat in hand, asking for more funding...NO ONE CARES MORE THAN I DO. I don't do this as a hobby. I don't do this to make myself look good. I could care less what anyone thinks, as long as what needs to be done, gets done, and I'll do whatever is necessary to make sure it happens.

FYI: I lost a dear friend on that day in one of the towers. I cried then, and I still do sometimes. That's why I'm so fricken sick of the BS. I'll always remember my friend. I'll always hate the terrorists for what they did to her, and her family, as well as all the vics and their families. Don't say I need to leave this profession until you know me a little better. Until then, you're not qualified to do so. I have a tendency to say what I think, and/or feel, at any given time. Sometimes it'll come across as sounding Effed up. For this, I apologize. Again, I didn't mean to upset you, or make light of the tragedy that has affected so many of us. I hope you can understand this.

One last thing, in case this is an issue. My signature, "Darth Whacker, Dark Lord of the Vollies". Do not let this mislead you. I'm a 17 year veteran of EMS. Yes, I started out as a vollie...and I'm still one today on occasion...but I'm also career, and have been for the last 13 years. When the volunteer crews close down, then I'll stop volunteering. However, I'm not going to quit just because I feel career/paid is needed over vollies. I made that forum signature on a whim. I don't consider myself to be some paragod, or super vollie medic. Far from it. I do, however, know myself to be the one that will do anything in the world for my patient, short of compromising my own safety, whether I'm in my duty rig, or in the back of a vollie rig.

Be Safe.

The secret is that most of us would do this even if there was no paycheck.

That is definitely not a secret. In fact, it is such common knowledge that the public uses it against us come budget time. It is the number one reason why we are not yet -- and possibly never will be -- a true profession.

EMS is not "just a job," it is a calling!

Only because of the badges, sirens, and Dairy Queen discounts. If it weren't for that, it would be neither a job nor a calling. It would be a profession, just like every other medical service provider on earth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.