Do you ever give patients "tough love"?

spenac

I am getting sick of being paged to this address for "assist invalid" three times a day. Helping grandpa to the toilet is not our job.

Then you who is almighty and caring, why dont you point the right people in their direction insted of whining about it.

Where are the family members for these people, did you ever ask, probably not.

Did you ever THINK to ask, probably not.

If I'm wrong to attest, so be it. I may never have walked in your shoes or worked the streets doing your job, BUT, I cared for my 2 parents who both have terminal illnesses, one has passed (I quit my full time job to care for my Dad)-he's gone and the other one (my mother the last 3 yrs)I thank God I have another day to spend with my mom.

I understand your frustration and where your coming from, but I feel that you decided not to do anything about it because its NOT your problem.

Man will step out from his comfortable life to help another who has nothing-this is what I believe. I go out of my way to help another, sometimes even to enquire to get those who need help. Depending on what you can or cannot do,have we forgot what COMPASSION means?

Thank god you have a job doing what it is you love, but it means more than that.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Where are the family members for these people, did you ever ask, probably not.

Did you ever THINK to ask, probably not. "

Hey WendyT, back off!

Actually many responders have asked many times. They have a daughter who lives out of state and no other family to speak of. The lady gets really mad and rude when we ask, giving us the whole speech of how they have paid taxes for however many years their family or lack thereof is none of our GD business.

We have also referred them to social services many times to no avail.

If after so many calls are answered such as the one described about the toilet. A report should be filed with health and human services, or DSS. Then I would explain to the rude patient, if they could not arrange for assistance in their daily lifestyle, I would see to it that they were put somewhere to receive that assistance, whether they wanted it or not. If I didn't get results from the local offices, I would further it to the state level if needed. Don't get me wrong, because I believe in helping anyone who needs it, when it concerns their "quality" of life, but not helping them maintain their lifestyle that they are refusing to accept cannot be lived that way any longer. It is not our job to be "toilet attendants". This is a waste of resources, especially when you work for a system that may not have many units. Wendy, have you considered researching, and possibly chartering a new agency in your area, that could assist the elderly with daily living? This would help them, and free up EMS to do their "real" jobs.

I think tough love is just as much a waste of time as holding their hand. Some people are on a self-destructive path that they may never get off. I treat them respectfully and kindly, and I'm thankfull that I'm not in their shoes.

Hand holding isn't pointless... it's all about knowing how and when to make that kind of connection, albeit carefully, with your patient.

Do I ever give tough love? Well, if you count lecturing drunken classmates and making fun of them and making it absolutely miserable for their friends by assigning them to drunk-watch shifts, then yes, I give tough love. Do I judge the situation first? You bet. If someone asks me to stop or back down, I do so immediately.

It's all about knowing your situation, and if something works for you and seems to benefit your patient, then by all means continue with it. Just make sure you perform the physical care first, since that is your first priority as EMS.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Sometimes, yes, depending on whether they seem like they'd be receptive to it. I'm not even going to try with a crackhead. But might if person seems like they have potential and are living in a bad familial/social situation.

One of the best cops I saw take a domestic violence report was very straight forward and blunt with her victim and told her exactly how the quarrelling with her husband was harming their kids. Took about two minutes, was professional, direct, and seemed to have an effect on the lady.

Part of being in health care is to teach. True, many have heard the lectures and preaching before, and there are appropriate times and inappropriate times. Sometimes, if you actually listen to a patient, one can find out, why the abuse of the system and themselves occur. Many are surprised at my frankness and honesty to patients. I am not mean, just up-front. If they are dirty or filthy, I tell them to take a bath ( bacteria does live in warm, moist environments, etc.) Heck, one can even have the possibility of making a change with the interaction of social workers, home health, hospice, or even contacting family members.

If you don't have the compassion to listen when needed to, or to touch or hold the hand of a patient when needed as well, do us a favor and get the hell out of the profession! Compassion, is as much a part of the job, than giving any med.'s. In fact, one will or should use compassion much more than any other part of the job.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.