How too . . . .Recognize

WendyT

I had 2 family emergencies yesterday, one my husband showed signs of coming down with a cold and it seemed like any other cold to me, so I went to my appt and got lost but in the end I found my way. :D

When I got home he was pale as a ghost (husband) and worse than ever, then I get a phone call my from sister who tells me that her son, my nephew wasnt feeling very well and was in a lot of pain and would I be willing to pick him up and take him to a walk in clinic.

Sure no problem, so I went to the walk in clinic with my husband in tow, told the nurse there what was wrong and they took him in, so I told the nurse if he has to goto the hospital by ambulance that's fine because I have another family emergency to take care of.

My husband has Moderate Asthma and how severe did that turn into surprised me, so off I goto my sister's place and I get in there and I find a letter stating my nephew is downstairs.

I go down there and I see he's sleeping and I try to wake him and to no avail does he wake up. He mumbles incoherently about weird things, he told his mom where's the wood and you said you would get it. He tells me that some kid punched him in the chest and ran him over at the same time. So I thought ok and again I try to wake him up and he's moaning and crying in pain, because he's telling me that when his mother drives and when I drive and she was at the bank, does this sound like he had to much crack?

When I called 911 and told them who I was (EMR) and that I had a 21 yr old who wasnt very responsive and he was crying in pain because his chest hurt and what more can I tell the 911 operator. I turned him over into a fetal position because they said if he should vomit you dont want him choking on it and then the Medics and the Fire Department showed up.

Now that you know the whole story, here's what I said to the Medic and EMT; I'm just a lowly EMR and because I dont have the experience they have coming upon something like this, what do you do? Because the chest pain could be any number of things and that concerns me and the fact he's still sleeping on the couch downstairs as I type this and has been since I arrived, the medics left.

And as I hear it, once a drug addict always a drug addict. He fell back on being clean for almost 1 1/2 yrs now and the fact his throat is in pain and his chest is the same. He broke out in perspiration, so he's totally sweating it out, still crys out in pain because of what he did and he told the medic that he did some shit yesterday morning and he's hurting now.

I told the guys, which by the way were very nice and understanding/caring, that his mother was kicking him out because he was back to his old ways of drugs and such. The medic agreed that was the best thing. It's hard for my sister to have to deal with a son who thinks that his Mom is going to support him that his comfy life where's he's living will always be there and Mom supports the youngest - she is 15 yrs old and then support her son for what, all his mistakes. She's had it and the medic said he needs to taste the real world out there and parents have to realize that if you keep paying for all your children's mistakes in the end it's really your fault because you've created a monster that will never be responsible for their own actions, because they know Mommy and Daddy will take care of it for them.

I should of told the Medics that I'm the responisble adult here and they should of taken him to the hospital, but because he's in his sound mind, they wont touch him and he's back to complaining of the pain, and we cant wake him up or he refuses to because of the pain or the fact if he keeps it up, his mother cant kick him out. There's an ambulance bill that will show up in the mail soon and now my sister says she doesnt have the money to pay it and I said yes you do, it's in Andrew's room in his drug box.

My husband is going to live, he just has to remember that when you take your asthma inhalers that after each inhalation you are to rince your mouth (stupid twit) and he now has to learn how to use a space chamber.

What are the symptoms, what do I look for?

Wendy you are a EMR in canada and you dont know what the S/S of a MI are? Or did I miss something in the thread? Wendy this thread is confusing too many bouncing from one thought to another what is your real question?

Glad the hubby is ok though

terr

Wendy you are a EMR in canada and you dont know what the S/S of a MI are? Or did I miss something in the thread? Wendy this thread is confusing too many bouncing from one thought to another what is your real question?

Glad the hubby is ok though

terr

Good, it's not just me. I thought I developed ADD for a minute there. Sorry for your sister, sounds like a lot.

I'm sorry there was so much I had to put down trying to make it sensible and because of all the upset my mind was all jumbled.

I took my emr course back in 1990 and it's been a long time since I refreshed it, I dont remember a lot anymore, I still have my manual, it's like saying what do you mean I'm broke I still have checks. :( I was going to refresh the course but it became evident that I wouldnt be able to. I cant explain why I didnt pursue it ,but I figured with everything nowadays and coming here wanting to learn, that I realize I cant hide behind this anymore.

There are to many issues in my life and especially family. My issues I feel people wouldnt understand because they have their own to deal with. Mine to me is more complicated. Back then was a better time for me, but today that issue will never resolve it's self. Money is one because to refresh it's really expensive and I cant afford to do it, and I always say someday it will happen.

A great man back then who helped me out by giving me a deal was a Paramedic Instructor at our college back then. He was teaching a course in scuba diving and that's how I got to know him when I inquired about diving. I told him my passion for wanting to learn diving, it looked like fun. When it came time to fill the form out, it asked if you have any type of lung problems and when I said; yes ,Asthma, he told me I wouldnt be able to ever scuba dive, so he asked me if there was something else I was interested in and I said well I care a great deal about people and I always wanted to help when there was an emergency and he mentioned this program but it was expensive and I thought I'll never be able to afford this and live on my own.

Know how they say you need to make it up quick(your mind) because classes fill up quickly. Ok so I didnt make it into his class, and I'm sure he wondered where I was. A month later there was an ad in the paper, this guy was looking for a secretary for this downtown office and I just happen to live downtown. So I called for an interview and I go there and this woman of 50 yrs old said that Tony isnt here right now and we are in need of someone to answer the phones and take messages, so I said what should I say when the phone rings and she said Hello, I thought duh. she laughed, I didnt.

She said ok here's what you say when the phone rings, you answer and say; Anthony Campbell's office, how can I help you today and then they ask questions about scuba diving or upcoming classes for EMR, and to me I thought EMR, what the heck is that?

I took First Aid and renewed that lots of times, there was standard and Emergency First Aid, CPR etc. But EMR seemed interesting and I wanted to know more and the lady showed me the manual for it. When Mr. Campbell showed upto his office, the lady introduced me to him and said this is our new secretary and I was more shocked and scared and he looked surprised, because I was only here for an interview.

I should write a book about this event, because there is so much that this man did for me that I am grateful for. He's been dead since 1995, he was a smoker what can I say, he never married, didnt have a girlfriend that I know of, didnt have time for one I guess? I thought maybe he was gay and I never asked him and it didnt matter.

Anyways . . .

My nephew Andrew had been back to doing his drugs but I wasnt sure because I wanted to think that my young nephew was smarter than that, but once a drug addict always a drug addict. It's like binge eating for me or starving because I was fat and I didnt like myself. We have issues we have to deal with but we dont because we think we can handle it ourselves until one day we die because we werent smart enough to get help.

He's been through the program called AARC, (Alberta Adolesent Recovery Centre) for young people aged 12 to 21. He went through it 2x and I have yet to call and ask about how he is today because today is the day he was to be kicked out of the house. The kid is messed up and I am helpless because he is an adult and my hands are tied.

Does this make sense to you now, if it doesnt we can talk privately on cam at least it wouldnt sound so difficult for you.

[quote="WendyT"

I go down there and I see he's sleeping and I try to wake him and to no avail does he wake up. He mumbles incoherently about weird things, he told his mom where's the wood and you said you would get it. He tells me that some kid punched him in the chest and ran him over at the same time. So I thought ok and again I try to wake him up and he's moaning and crying in pain, because he's telling me that when his mother drives and when I drive and she was at the bank, does this sound like he had to much crack?

When I called 911 and told them who I was (EMR) and that I had a 21 yr old who wasnt very responsive and he was crying in pain because his chest hurt and what more can I tell the 911 operator.

I know those signs but I'm saying about the signs of a drug over dose because after he said that his throat hurt, so it was a fiery pain in the throat, but he didnt tell me that he told the medic that.

Heart, crushing and squeezing yes a sign of heart attack and when I couldnt arouse him that's when I went and called 911.

I know he was contemplating suicide, that's what I heard and his mother said that he was in a lot of pain and needs to goto the walk in medical,it became evident that walking wasnt going to be the case. Because I was poking him, pinching him, pushing him to wake up and he was slurring his speech.

I kept yelling Andrew wake up, and he said no dont move the wood, the wood is good and then he was talking chinese, well that's what it sounded like and he went back to moaning and crying about the pain. I know afterwards I said to my sister I'm kicking myself because I should of said I'm sorry but your not leaving him here after what I just had to deal with here. But the older medic said well he refused because he's fully awake and we cant make him go.

I think what these people who do drugs are somewhat clean, need to see how it is when people like them are near dead, half dead and dead.

Our Doctor's in our city especially the one at the clinic where my husband was, hand's my husband adavair in a purple container, put him on O2 and tells him he needs to get an Aerochamber and never said what he had.

This totally blows me away. . .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.