82 members have voted

1. 1.

• 8 hrs
    • 12 hrs
    • 16 hrs
    • 24 hrs
    • 8 hrs double (16hr)
    • 12 hrs double (24hr)

CBEMT - I don't know how to coordinate your account with Dustdevil's square-wheels account. :?

I neglected to mention that quite often EMS was actually forced onto a fire department by city management under pressure from taxpayers who perceived that the FD wasn't doing anything (usually being ignorant of the training, building inspections, and other duties that suppression units were increasingly being assigned). Basically if Joe Public didn't see them at a fire he figured they weren't doing anything.

Mind you, these same people would be the same ones screaming that the FD didn't respond fast enough to their house burning down- when the closest engine was tied up at an EMS run that he wanted them doing because they had all kinds of time on their hands.

Catch 22 any way you slice it.

And yes, in many cases, EMS was dragged into the FD by unions afraid that the decreased fire load would mean layoffs. Just not always.

As for reconciling the stories, I don't know if I can help you with that. All I can do is lay out information for you.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops... sorry I missed that, Michael.

You and CB have it correct. Basically, the hosemonkeys spend more time polishing their nozzles than actually squirting water with them. And the price of union firemen has gone up significantly. The powers that be want more bang for their buck than that.

Some places, they consider just shutting down firehouses and getting by with less firemen. However, in most places, they can't get by with that because the insurance industry will hit every resident with higher rates, causing a revolt at the polls. Consequently, in order to keep the key inspectors and homeowners (the ones paying the taxes) happy, we have MORE firemen doing LESS firefighting. Personally, I agree: I would like to see them doing more than watching cable TV all day long to earn their above average salaries. But no... making them paramedics is not really a good plan. Having them fill pot-holes, read water meters, clean the parks and cut the grass sounds like a more sensible use of their potential.

I have heard the theory of fewer fires because of education and inspection, etc..., but I am not sure I really buy it, as far as being responsible for huge scale reduction in fires. I think it is just a case where we have a lot more firemen on duty because of key rates and other standards. More on duty = more sitting on their arses.

"Square wheels" is what we say about those trucks (fire or EMS) that sit idle due to low run volumes.

I work in a rural ems setting where our regular shift is 24 hours/48 a week. Some of my co-workers prefer to do 48hr shift but we are limited to that. Nothing over 48hrs at a time. Also we are very busy for a rural system. Its actually less common to NOT do a stand up 24. For that reason I elect not to do 48hr shifts. I feel its dangerous to do more then 24hrs when we are constantly doing standups. I do like our shifts tho. Full work week outta the way in 2 days. Have the rest of the week for school, study and play.

The number of responses a crew does on a given tour of duty, be it 8, 12, or 24, can be dependant on area activities (street county or town fairs), weather (snow or ice, heat) , traffic, holiday, time of the 24 hour day, geologic upheavals (think California style earthquake, or a simple <?> landslide), some of the above, all of the above, or none of the above.

I have done, including calls not needing patient transport (numerous reasons), up to 9 calls on a given 8 hour tour of duty, and on the same day a year later, done no calls at all. There can be excessive reason for a large call volume, and have it happen for no observable rhyme or reason. I also feel that those working a 24 hour tour of duty can have similar experiences.

Let us not forget I am usually no more than 15 minutes ground travel from an "appropriate ED", so I can usually make a fast turnaround and be available for a next assignment. Someone else on the string can be at least an hour and a half by Medevac flight, and some really urban crews can be even longer than that, due to circumstances I couldn't guess at, due to being with my head set to "urban/suburban" responses. I'd probably be lost in areas where either domestic or wild animals outnumber people by 10 to my one, where others would feel right at home there, and be uncomfortable surrounded by skyscrapers, whereas I am not. It's just what one is used to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.