Starting a business for Entrepreneur’s Only

WANTYNU

If you get paid to work in EMS; do you have a second or want to have a second income and which of the following would you use to get this income?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• Working one job with over time
    • Second EMS job (per-diem part time work at your current certification)
    • Working a second job outside of EMS
    • Have a side business
    • Thinking of starting side business.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shane,

I truly appreciate your intentions I really do; However, I humbly request this be dropped.

Our strength as a group is through knowledge and communication, sharing lessons we have learned and the sources we have gotten them from.

Retribution is non productive, and no apologies for what was said are (were?) necessary.

Mrmeaner,

I’m very sorry for your friend, I have dug myself out of 5 figure debt twice, it’s no picnic and my wife says I’m now grinding my teeth at night over this new venture. (I never took offence at your rant, stuff happens).

Everything I wrote came from a combination of experience, good advice I have received, lessons learned the hard way, and lots of reading about finance.

No snake oil here, just notes from the school of hard knocks.

Dustdevil ,

I think the editor of JEMS gave it the name tactical, but it may have been my friend in NYPD ESU (who is a tactical medic). Another friend that just got back from Iraq (Navy Medic) but stationed on the ground (air ambulance) I think that’s what he called it (he flew in a helicopter to retrieve wounded in hot zones under fire) Says tactical is as tactical does, it’s not in the name, it’s in the performance and use. I just set out to make the best tool possible for the job. I hope the idea works. One of the guys I work with brought it out to a firing range and it stood up to 45 cal rounds, it finally took a 50 cal rifle to take it out.

He thinks Tactical is a fine description, and honestly who am I to argue? I really can’t get into why I think it’s the best for the job, because someone will accuse me of promoting it.

If your definition of tactical is it has to kill something, or support that end, I guess it’s not, but if your definition is that it has to be built stronger then it’s intended purpose, so it can stand up to major abuse, I’d say it is. You be the judge, is that fair?

Finally Ruff,

(I think it was you that asked, I can’t find the thread, so if it wasn’t you my apologies) I do have a BA, with a Post Bacc in computer science, I was going for a dual major in Bio and Fine Art, a professional student if you will who finally had enough, and got out before I could qualify for the BS (the impatience of youth, I should have stayed and finished). My masters will be in disaster preparedness and planning, as soon as I get the time and money to finish it.

For more years then I wish to think about I worked in Information systems as a business consultant, (Volly EMS on the side) I traveled so much I've actually had mail forwarded to my hotel room, the stewardess knew my first name and which client I was going to. I easily worked 80 – 100+ hours a week for a ridiculous amount of money, and when I finally got a local client so I didn’t have to travel as much I worked for a year in tower 1, we all know what happened next...

Now I just work EMS, 40 – 70 hours a week with a small business on the side (an additional 30 – 40 hours) for a ridiculously small amount of money…

There, I hope this finally answers everyone’s questions about me.

Now if we can get back to the topic at hand that would be great!

Thanks to all who stood up for me.

All apologies accepted.

Best to all

WANTYNU

• 4 weeks later...

So a couple of folks who visited this forum stated they were thinking of starting a business.

What in? Services or production?

Let’s hear some stories!

Best to All

WANTYNU

Well, from my time here at EMT City, I can see where the future of EMS is headed. That has helped me to understand the needs of the profession, and to envision my role in helping to fulfill those needs, as well as making a tidy profit along the way.

I'm going to open a 90-day accelerated paramedic school in NYC. :lol:

DustDevil, Once again you prod me to elicit a kneejerk response,

I started this post with something referring to our standards being some of best and the highest in the country (PS we are moving to, as you have always stated we all should {nationwide} a paramedic degree program} and the number of jobs we do etc.

Yet another pissing contest,

Then I stopped and realized this is the problem not the solution.

Every time one of us states “I’m better then you” it puts us all down.

Yesterday I was making a purchase, and the store clerk noticed my shield in my wallet, and asked which am I? One of the “Boldest”?, “Finest”? and I said “no”, the she added “Bravest”? Strongest”?

After awhile of guessing I finally said “None of the above, I’m a Paramedic” to which she said, after looking slightly confused, “Oh, well bless you anyway”.

MY point is in the public eye we don’t exist, and never will until we stop pissing on each other…

Nice to “see you” again DD.

Best to all

WANTYNU

PS: now how about some BUSINESS STORIES?

Wait... you say all that as if you think I was joking. :?

Actually probably get rich. Remember on here someone talked about a program that charged a ton of money for a short boot camp paramedic program. At what they charged run 2 or 3 classes a year with 20 students you could live comfortably. Honestly some sort of EMS program would be a way to make money. As we have already discussed there will be no changes to better EMS so why not get on the bandwagon and make some money.

Everyone wants a shortcut to glory.

TEEX actually has a 2 month paramedic program with a high NR pass rate and charged a lot less. Never met a medic out of it but they should be just as good as any other medic right. :wink: :lol:

It's a tough world out there, my nephew took a H2S course and got 96%, well that's great.

His EMR course will be paid for, my discussion is; he's a past drug addict and alcoholic; if he were to pursue the next step and doesnt mention about his past, are there ways of finding out?

Now for the second income in this day and age is a very good idea to pursue, because from what I've heard that some of you blokes down there dont get paid all that much and some are vollys. And if your fortunate like Dust and Ak to be in the service of a lifetime, then you have a pension coming when and if you retire.

Do green stamps still exist and how much are they worth to actually make a living off of them.

Oh yeah are you rich, do they pay you well enough to get by each month, some of you are and most of you are barely living by.

Why do FF's get the glory because half of them are first rsponders and thats all they will ever do, then there are EMT/FF and Medic/FF. Oh yeah their out there, it just so happens the FF part sticks out more than their other stigma does. :roll: