Starting a business for Entrepreneur’s Only

WANTYNU

If you get paid to work in EMS; do you have a second or want to have a second income and which of the following would you use to get this income?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• Working one job with over time
    • Second EMS job (per-diem part time work at your current certification)
    • Working a second job outside of EMS
    • Have a side business
    • Thinking of starting side business.

A very wise man once said if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

For many of us that have dealt with crowds at MCI's, we have lived by that motto.

Can we show some maturity and stay on the subject?

I am told fire/medics in San francisco make 80K to start toping out in the low 100's with OT and time. SF is expensive to live in no doubt, but thats still better then 48K in NYC.

I have another friend who makes his full time living on eBay, is that a reasonable alternative to working part time for another company?

Solutions?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am told fire/medics in San francisco make 80K to start toping out in the low 100's with OT and time. SF is expensive to live in no doubt, but thats still better then 48K in NYC.

I have another friend who makes his full time living on eBay, is that a reasonable alternative to working part time for another company?

Solutions?

I used to do good on ebay then they got to lax and had lots of scum playing on there. Seems like it has been getting better again. Hardest thing is to find products that will sell for enough to cover all costs including product cost, listing fees, paypal fees, final sell fee, etc.

$80K is like minimum wage in some areas. Consider housing costs. $80,000 home my area would be around $1,000,000 in San Fran. I have met many people that actually sold their homes in Cali or NY and moved to our area bought or built nicer homes and still had money left over to retire on.

I have met many people that actually sold their homes in Cali or NY and moved to our area bought or built nicer homes and still had money left over to retire on.

That sounds a little like a sales pitch.

Are you actually asking me to give up the lovely experience of riding in an out of date, could stop at any moment, sprinkled with the pungent aroma of stale urine elevator to a job that was not even remotely close to the description given by dispatch, to then relax for 15 minutes in the lap of a seat that has been in use 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the last 18 months, to the persistent vibrating diesel Ford 350, as my spine slowly disintegrates before my next job, work environment.

And suggesting I trade all that in for work in Big Country where you have a place to sleep, shower, and eat on a real table (may have misused the phrase Big Country , I think that’s actually a slogan for a state, but great way for a Naw Yarker to describe west of the Mississippi river)?

Gee, ya gotta give me time to think about that…

I did love the Rockies when I was on vacation.

...they're just O2 wrenches, different yes, but still just wrenches, TK stands for Tank Wrench, the rest is marketing.

Are you denying calling them "Tactical Oxygen Tank Keys"?

Or are you just denying that they are "Tactical Oxygen Tank Keys," regardless of what you call them?

:-k

very difficult to make 6 figures part time unless you are those yahoo's on the tv get rich quick schemes who always seem to be doing this part time but making a million dollars.

I didn't mean to suggest making six figures part time, but rather just doing that job part time now to supplement his income since that is what WANTYNU is asking about.

Or, if everything you have told us his true (BA, MA student, past six figure salary) is there any way that you could turn this into a consulting opportunity?

Why are you working on an MA if you are now considering things like selling on ebay to supplement your income? What is your MA in? What is your BA in?

I didn't mean to suggest making six figures part time, but rather just doing that job part time now to supplement his income since that is what WANTYNU is asking about.

Good discussion.

Folks, I started this thread for ideas; hasn’t anyone here ever sat in a class and heard the professor state; "if you’re thinking of the question, someone else probably is too, so ask it", or “The only bad question is the one that’s not asked”?

Aside of that, there are a few here that seem obsessed with my company, I don’t understand this, I had an idea, researched it, found it unique, took steps to protect it, and then made it. There are others here that have companies, I can’t understand why that seems to offend some people? (I’m sure I’ll get answers on this one…)

I said this before; if a fellow First Responder had the guts to step into the unknown and start something new, I’d applaud them, try to help them, but certainty not try to put them down for trying.

If you have ever created or started something, then you can understand how difficult it is. As I’ve stated before; snipes are neither mature, nor productive, nor are they appreciated, this is not about WANTYNU Inc., again please stay focused.

Looking for controversy to jump on me over, how about this: I think if we gained stature in the business community, the respect of the public and understanding of what we really do would increase as well as our compensation.

I started this post not for myself; I have already taken a number of steps to broaden and secure my income (maybe not all of them the easiest), but security is something I believe in. I have also worked jobs from paperboy to corporate management, (and yes, I have also done the eBay thing on the side, made enough to buy my car {again off eBay}).

I see a lot of my fellow EMS struggling to make ends meet, so I figured I’d start a post that brought out alternative ideas for income.

Ideas that work, and warning about the ones that don’t, as a few have posted the “Get Rich Quick Schemes” are just that schemes, designed to take your hard earned money and make some con artist rich.

Spenac tried construction, and stated it didn’t work for him.

How about some more experiences from folks on this forum?

Anybody “play” the markets?

“If you don’t watch your money, nobody will”

Ben Stein

“Great works are preformed not by strength but by perseverance”

Samuel Johnson

“Through perseverance many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure”

Benjamin Disraeli

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself”

Franklin D. Roosevelt

“Never. Never, Never give up.”

Sir Winston Churchill

"From those who have pursued the unknown is born experience, from experience, education.”

Author Unknown

Aside of that, there are a few here that seem obsessed with my company, I don’t understand this, I had an idea, researched it, found it unique, took steps to protect it, and then made it. There are others here that have companies, I can’t understand why that seems to offend some people? (I’m sure I’ll get answers on this one…)

I don't understand this claim, nor the claims that anybody was sniping at you. I haven't seen any of this. BEorP asked how your venture was working out for you. Your response was some kind of denial that your product was exactly what your website calls it. Yeah, that sounds a little suspicious to me and others, so a little explanation might be in order. But nobody has sniped at you or taken you to issue for starting a good and worthwhile topic. I think it is healthy to discuss our non-ems related interests and pursuits. And it would behoove a lot of medics to give serious consideration to other avenues of augmenting their income, instead of just working for three different ambulance companies for $9 dollars an hour until they burn out.

Kudos for stimulating a great discussion, but don't spoil it by getting weird on us.

I don't understand this claim, nor the claims that anybody was sniping at you. I haven't seen any of this. BEorP asked how your venture was working out for you. Your response was some kind of denial that your product was exactly what your website calls it. Yeah, that sounds a little suspicious to me and others, so a little explanation might be in order. But nobody has sniped at you or taken you to issue for starting a good and worthwhile topic. I think it is healthy to discuss our non-ems related interests and pursuits. And it would behoove a lot of medics to give serious consideration to other avenues of augmenting their income, instead of just working for three different ambulance companies for $9 dollars an hour until they burn out.

Kudos for stimulating a great discussion, but don't spoil it by getting weird on us.

I've also asked twice about this fix figure job in the past but gotten no reply... and asked about what the BA was in and the MA is going to be in. Not everything seems to add up.

My question is why do you only want input from those working in EMS? I am in the Military full time, but going through a divorce. My soon to be ex gets over half my income, so I am looking for ways to increase my income.

This fall I am starting to work on my Masters Degree in Emergency and Disaster Planning. I also plan to get the Volunteer Fire Department I run with to put me through some HAZMAT classes. In the building where I work I am on the committee (Emergency Preparedness Team) thats sets up and conducts training for the occupants, sets the emergency procedures, trains or has training brought in for an in house Medical response Team.

I do all this in hopes of being able to increase my income greatly in the next few years when I leave the military.

But I am also looking for ways to increase it in the interim, since I also nee money now!!

Sarge

I