Make my duty belt LIGHTER! (Please)

NYCntg

Just a side note to all, well mostly to anthonym83. Never assume your partner has anything, and I don't think any of us should be checking our partners pockets to see what they have in there, thats kinda creepy. Of course both people are not going to o2 bags, and 2 separate stair chairs, but none of those things go on our belts eh?

I also work in NYC, we all remember the post about the FDNY crew stopping while having a patient, Do we remember that the SOP and policy is: If going into a call and get flagged down by someone we must split our personnel.

We get dispatched for a fx arm, and we get flagged down for a cardiac arrest and were on the 15th floor in the projects with a non-working elevator. (I'm not a medic so I wouldn't have to run down for a monitor, but if/when I am a medic I know I'd feel like a knucklehead for not having my gear with me, and having to run up and down 15 flights of stairs while the patient deteriorates waiting for me to get the monitor)

To help out the fellow NYC provider .. check out a scorpion, it is designed for people who need small, lightweight, high bright flash light .. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/s...scorpionled.htm

This is really the only thing I can see to help lighten your load, everything else is pretty standard, or not really room to improve as i can see.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point on having everything you need with you.

But not everything on that list was something both partners needed to have with them. A few were things neither of us on the crew carry with us , some only one of us, like radio.

As a side note, to whoever criticized original poster for carrying monitor on every call. I'm not a medic, but on ride-alongs was taught you NEVER go to a call without your monitor. As EMTs, we sometimes go without our AEDs, but even then we're playing a dangerous game...and monitors are used much more often.

Im going to disagree with the crowd and consensus on this one.

I wear this belt. Yes I am a whacker, but a whacker with a well educated head on his neck.

You are in an urban enviroment, as I am. When poking around in the ghetto, I wear...

-Flashlight (i refuse to use those giant 20 lb maglights)

-Glovecase (i dont always wear gloves, because you dont always need them)

-bandage shears (i hate hunting for shears)

-Multi-tool

-leather gloves (hand protection for extrication / combative drunken goobers / your local Mc-Dopey)

Cell Phone

Radio

Pager.

Only a few pounds, and everything you need.

Well said. I wear a belt also. I have my glove pouch, radio holster, Palm Pilot holster, Mag-Lite holder, my Big Shears in the small of my back, and my holster with a pair of shears (for the idiot on scene who doesn't have any), a Multi-tool (I use it at least once a shift), a metal O2 key ring (we only have plastic) in the holster.

I use what works for me in my ghetto setting where we're lucky if PD show up, let alone anything else.

I must admit i carry a whacker pouch.....pen, penlight, shears, scissors, stethoscope, minimag, digital thermometer and plastic slips. Though usually it sits on the dash of the truck, i very rarely wear it, unless im doing a lot of first aid type crap in an outdoor area

I can't imagine the frustration at having to carry so much stuff and on top of it having it be madatory to do so. Hopefully you will discover a solution or put together a mix of ideas to achieve your optimal goal.

Try taking orders from a Fire lieutenant with no medical training, thinking he can direct patient care...

but really, some good ideas here (and no I tried, but my partner for some reason insists I carry at least half the bags).

I didn't mean to give the idea that I was completely lost, as I said before I am just fishing for some new ideas, looking for lighter equipment I could substitute for the stuff I have.

Like PRPGfirerescuetech and wantynu, I'm pretty much down to a radio holder and glove pouch, and don't really like too much stuff in my pockets (except cash :lol: ), so cell phone and pager are staying for now, I ditched my palm for paper, but I agree with all the urbanite getto warriors here, ya gotta carry what you might need, as there's no replacement in a pinch.

I am going to check out a new flashlight and wantynu's wrench, if I can find someone who's seen it or has one, if its as light as his website says, it might make the cut.

Regarding the Monitor, thanks for the support, it weighs a ton (now why can't lifepack do something about that??? :cussing: ), but if you don't bring it on a job, (no matter the jobs description) and actually need it, there is no good explanation that would keep your butt out of a major sling... (btw same goes for chair, air, and drugs...)

I mean even on a good day, the phone games that dispatch has to play, can barely paint the picture of what our job is really going to be.

Be safe,

NYCntg

Headboard???? WTF over....

I dont think I have ever tubed someone in a bed, they get dragged to the floor, another room where there is light/room, or outside to the ambo. The time it takes to remove a headboard, I easily could of had them in the floor and tubed.

Oh well...I wouldnt be me if I didnt pick on LS....

Hey, I didn't design the bed, nor can I (a mere Basic) tell the paragods how to best do their jobs! I can only react to what the situation gives me to work with!

OK NYCntg - I have one word for you...

Get a Contrera Pouch - Ok thats more than one word.

It fits, penlight, sheers, O2 wrench, gloves and radio. Plus still has room for one more item along those lines.

I actually have one of those fancy wanynu o2 wrneches and put that on my key ring. Leaving two extra slots on the contrera pouch. plenty of rom for that multi wrench and window punch.

BTW - I never carried a multi tool but have at times needed one.

Also - try taking your belt off between calls. I used to leave it on all the time and I think it gave me restless leg syndrome.

Last - ex- combat engineer? I saw your sig in the last post.

Stay safe

We follow orders from Fire Captains. Apparently, they're ranking medical authority on scene in LA County even though some aren't medics. I've never seen a really screwed up order from them...most have been running EMS for many years and know when to defer to the medic on-scene. They're not making actual treatment decisions.