Make my duty belt LIGHTER! (Please)

NYCntg

NTG,

You have missed all the benefit of the system I mentioned, it not only frees up your belt, but also allows you to carry many other items you mention having to have.

Since my brain is all gone I'll avoid explaining that point to you at this time. Dude don't go get your pantys in a bunch. I gave you something that could seriously have helped in the environment you describe working in and make it easier to carry what you stated.

I never said you had to do what I said. It is cool that in your opinion many on here worked off my comments, considering many on here have asked me to leave because I'm willing to ask people to stretch there minds beyond the little boxes they live in. Maybe that is your problem maybe you need to open the lid climb out and look in from the outside and it would be easier to see how to deal.

Thanks for your attacks, have a nice night, and please be safe there in the big city.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Let's take this nice and slow.

The "you" that I referred to in my entire post was a generic "y'all in EMS". It has been a few weeks since I read the original post on this thread; in that post, I believe that you (specifically NYCntg in this instance) asked for advice on lightening your duty belt. I remember reading some of the suggestions, reading Dust's usual sarcasm with some decent advice sprinkled in it, and various tangents as usually happen in this forum.

The response that I wrote earlier today was directed as a response to some of the other comments and posts that I read.

I did not intend to demean anyone by implying that they were a moron. That last paragraph was my defense of those who prefer to carry more equipment, perhaps poorly worded. I was trying to counter some of the more vitriolic posts on that subject. I was basically trying to say, you want to carry stuff, your prerogative, hope you find a system that works for you. I prefer pockets. If I had realized that you were looking for technically innovative gear that minimizes weight, I would have addressed that. Missed it somewhere, mea culpa.

I did not mean to cause offense by referring to anyone as a peon. If you take some time to get to know me, you'll realize that I use many different terms when referring to those lower down on the management food chain (MYSELF INCLUDED. I AM A PEON!). With that paragraph, I was trying to defend people who are *required* to carry a certain number and kind of items on their person, or face reprimand, which is what I gathered happens in NYC (from several posts in this thread).

I do not carry a CPR mask on my person. Many do and feel more comfortable doing so. I was *trying* to make a list of common things that people hang off of their belts, and offering alternative stowing locations for those who don't want to wear large belts. I was trying to posit that it is possible to carry more equipment without becoming someone who inadvertently mirrors the behavior of someone who tries to convey that they are a capable medic by the content of their belt.

I no longer live in Michigan. I attended school there for three years and the weather affected my asthma to my detriment. I am now back in my home state of Colorado. There are plenty of capable medics in Michigan, just as there are capable medics in NYC, Colorado, Arizona, Pennsylvania, you name it. There are also bass-ackwards medics *everywhere*.

By the way, you will not see me attempt to claim that I am anything more than a competent EMT-Basic, striving for higher education, in any place on this forum. As a matter of fact I am fully aware that I am a novice when it comes to practicing medicine and that I have much to learn from people with more experience and knowledge than myself.

The comments to not take things personally were addressed to anyone and everyone who's been rubbed the wrong way by some posts on here, especially those irritated by Dust (and trust me, I've been there haha~!).

Please try to remember that all you have to express yourself with are words- the whole nonverbal level of communication is lost in this medium, ergo things that sound funny in someone's mind because they can verbally hear them being said are interpreted quite differently by someone reading the text alone. If something I said was misconstrued as a personal attack, or passive aggressive (and believe me I am anything but that, lol... if I'm pissed at you, trust me you will know) it was not intended in that manner.

I do not automatically disrespect nor respect someone based on the agency they work for or where they operate. I judge people based on their descriptions of their care and how they interact with people in this forum. The protocols that I have seen displayed RE carrying items seem stupid to me, but then again I do not work in New York. *shrugs*

Again, I didn't mean to disrespect nor attack anyone. If that was what you read, I am very sorry. I'll try to pull you some EMS tech sites if I can, since that's what you're after. And please, don't assume that I'm personally attacking you if something is sarcastic or seems like a jab. I reserve that kind of interaction for the PM box. And you'll notice, nowhere did I say your system was backwards or the bottom of the barrel, just as a response to your implication that I am behaving in a less than professional manner.

PS SPENAC: Did you think he was referring to WendyT or did you see that he meant me, Eydawn?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

By the way, please don't discount the forum or leave. We really are glad to have you here! The only way we learn is by discussion with one another, and no one is ever going to come to a consensus in here on the "right" way for EMS to operate, especially with all our regional variations.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Thanks for your attacks, have a nice night, and please be safe there in the big city.

Spenac,

I am not attacking you, I am just calling you out to what you were really doing, which was being clever at my expense, don't go letting me down by dishing it out but not being able to take a little of your own medicine.

Your belt idea is ridiculous, you know it, I know it, anyone who sees it knows it is, this is EMS not construction.

Don't take it so hard, bud, I am not meaning to hurt your feelings or anything like that.

You don't like duty belts, cool, no harm no foul. There a some here who do wear them, and find them useful.

I am glad you don't need one, on less thing to worry about.

It seems were so tied up in out doing each other, we won't seriously help each other when it's easier to make fun.

ntg

By the way, please don't discount the forum or leave. We really are glad to have you here! The only way we learn is by discussion with one another, and no one is ever going to come to a consensus in here on the "right" way for EMS to operate, especially with all our regional variations.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'm being a sensitive jerk, There I said it, Apologies to ALL (a big one to you Wendy), I banged my elbow Friday night, (right at the tip) and re injured a stupid old Injury, and APAP/5 makes me cranky.

I should just learn to shut up, But then again if I really learned from experience would I still be in EMS?

:wink:

ntg

Oh bummer! Sorry to hear it on the elbow! What'd you do to it the first time if you don't mind me asking?

I know what you mean about pain making you irritable... I've got a possible hairline fracture to the 5th metatarsal in my right foot. Only thing is, Vicodin and Percocet make me hurl... lol! At least you can take summat for it.

Hope you feel better soon :D

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I think the real problem isn't specifically the belt itself, rather the idea that it's reflecting a way of thinking in EMS that Dust and most others here disapprove of.

Being people who want to advance the EMS field and profession, they have a right to speak against it. The question is whether this is an example of whacker/RickyRescue/PreparedForAnythingLifeSaver -ism or if there's a truly legitimate need for the belt that (perhaps falsely) conveys a negative image on certain EMS systems.

OK, I carry enough stuff, Monitor, O2 bag, drug bag, and chair, radio, flash light (have switched to lithium batteries) , sheers, knife / multi tool, metal O2 wrench (plastic just sucks), keys, glove case, phone… forget a window punch, the very few times I need one, the edge of my multi tool works great.

Ounces are pounds… at the end of the day I feel like rocks are tied to me.

Any ideas on going lighter (and no donut jokes please)

I'm serious, anybody see anything new and good out there?

Thanks.

NYMEDIC

:?

I haven't really followed the thread. Judging from the last two pages, this thread is full of drama. If there's one thing that working at a movie theater when I was in high school has done to me, it's leaving me with a distinct dislike of popcorn. Hence, I'll refer back to the first post.

flash light: Front breast pocket works great.

sheers, knife / multi tool: individual holsters. The multi tool can go on the hip while the sheets goes in the small of your back.

metal O2 wrench (plastic just sucks): put on key ring, attach to keys [at my old company, the unit O2 wrench was attached to the key to the ambulance]

keys: front pants pocket or breast pocket

glove case: Lose glove case, put gloves in front pocket. The "cell phone pocket" on Dickies (R thigh pocket) works well too.

phone… Front breast pocket. Put on vibrate and you'll feel it (I always had problems for some reason when it was in my pants pocket, especially the "cell phone pocket."

window punch: front pants pocket, front breast pocket, one of the bags you have to carry. Pick one and be happy.

This is, of course, assuming that you HAVE to carry all those things. You honestly don't need most of the belt clip things, and to be honest, most of those have no comparison to the rest of the stuff you "have" to carry on every call.

LOL! Man, you sure managed to completely misconstrue this thread. :D

This is a real problem with New Yorkers. They all seem to think the rest of the country (and world) actually give a rat's arse about what they think or do. One only need be two states or more from NY to realise that it is not the centre of the universe. Although television may make you believe that you are something special up there, and that the rest of us care, I can assure you that -- especially in the EMS world -- the rest of us are laughing at you. Not as much as we are laughing at New Jersey, but I digress. :D

And don't forget, young rookie, it is the New Yorker who came here saying he had a problem with all of this in the first place. The rest of us are just trying in vain to help him escape the Dark Side. If you have a problem with that, go talk to your homey about it.

You have just demonstrated for us what is wrong with so many rookies in EMS. Whatever everybody else is doing around you is automatically assumed to be the way things ought to be. Not a single intelligent thought about the rest of the world or a possible better way. Monkey see-monkey do. I'm glad you're happy up there, because trust me, there aren't many employers down here that want anything to do with your kind.

My kind huh...wow, way to be a part of a team there bro. i thought i had respect for you, see i was being nice and just said that you do things your way and i do things mine, not that anyone is wrong about it, and i just wanted to try to stop this whole..whatever the hell it is, then you decided to be a shallow narrow-minded dick about it..because, you know, "my kind" arent welcome "down there" wherever the hell that is...even though most of the busiest and most respected fire and ems departments in the country are located up this way..but hey..im not an "employer down here" so apparently they know something i dont...but hey, if you "down there" boys want to think that way, go right ahead, i hear you like seperating "your kind" of people from other people anyway :roll: good job, i think you just set a new record for the shortest time it takes for me to completely loose all respect for someone... :angry2: :sad3:

Furthermore, apparently you are from new york because..well..what makes you think anyone gives a rats ass about what you think or do? :shock:

NY, i got your back, i guess its a "your kind" northeastern thing to look out for eachother..