concerns about driving

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle, when you get your EMT and turn 18, come up here to my service. You live in a border county, so you are eligible. I'll teach you how to drive an ambulance. And you won't die!

Im terrible at driving..

I have this wicked hook that i just cannot seem to get out of, though im doing pretty good with my irons... :shock:

vent there was no offense taken. Please don't think I did.

And Kyle, keep up the good work. Hope you realize that many here are proud of you for what you are doing. Me included

thanks everyone for the responses...even though i still cant drive the ambo for a while, I'm going to go to the next EVOC class my service offers just to see about it all....and brentoli I might have to get back to you on that lol.

Remember, drive with due regard for all other motorists on the road.

The only reason I could see for 90 MPH with L&S is prior knowledge that the Nuclear Emergency Search Team (NEST) found a device, and is NOT going to prevent Hiroshima happening again, too close to your back bumper!

Otherwise, balance your need for the speed, with the ride that's a glide!

Meh, last time I drove L/S I didn't come remotely close to the speed limit. Too many stop lights in the area
Agreed. If driving a box ambulance and you accelerate enough to break the speed limit in an urban setting, when the green turns to yellow to red, you're probably not going to have smooth braking or you're not going to be clearing the red intersection as well as you should.

The only types of calls people say they'd really jam all out for here are officers down or pediatric arrests, in which cases PD has every intersection blocked for you all the way to the hospital :lol:

Even though I haven't taken ambulance EVOC, I'd say it'd help because while you'll never really be going fast or doing crazy turns, they teach a decent amount of stuff on ambulance operation, proper parking, positioning, road safety, etc.

Anthony wrote:

The only types of calls people say they'd really jam all out for here are officers down or pediatric arrests, in which cases PD has every intersection blocked for you all the way to the hospital

Are those calls somehow more important the rest? I drive the same way, no matter the complaint. Those 30 seconds you save are not with the risk or the damage you could do by driving recklessly.

Most callers can not adequately determine the severity of the injury or illness anyway. I don't even really listen to the complaint from dispatch just the address. They are correct maybe 10 percent of the time so why bother.

Anthony wrote:

The only types of calls people say they'd really jam all out for here are officers down or pediatric arrests, in which cases PD has every intersection blocked for you all the way to the hospital

Are those calls somehow more important the rest? I drive the same way, no matter the complaint. Those 30 seconds you save are not with the risk or the damage you could do by driving recklessly.

Most callers can not adequately determine the severity of the injury or illness anyway. I don't even really listen to the complaint from dispatch just the address. They are correct maybe 10 percent of the time so why bother.

Is any life-threatening call really more important than any other life-threatening call? Probably not, but to those "people" (remember, I said "people around here"...not "me"), though, it's more emotionally important (which isn't usually a good way to make decisions in medicine).

I didn't say it, but I was specifically referring to scene to hospital transport, where PD can know your route and block it, caravan. Which is really what will save time, not the balls to the wall driving.

As a side note, PD calls usually are as dispatched. Injury, TC, GSW. But I'm not arguing for breakneck speeds, so doesn't really affect my post.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.